My husband has never been a reader.

Maxxy

Hi,

I am trying to get my husband to read the "The Game of Thrones". He is no reader. I got him to read one book,in over 40 years of marriage. That was "Jaws". He was sick in bed for about two weeks. He told me he really did enjoy it.

He has dyslexia, so it is trying for him to do it.

I think he would enjoy the type of characters, as well as the story.

Looking forward to the release of the series on HBO.

I think audio books is a great solution. One of my friends is severely dyslexic and was not a big reader for most of his life, it was just nearly impossible for him to get through a novel. Now though, with his iPod and audio books being available online, he's found himself listening to tons of books he would have never got to otherwise. It's really expanded his range of reading and he now listens to probably a book a week, at least. Last one he mentioned reading was "The Post Captain" by Patrick O'Brian, a great book I doubt he would have ever read otherwise (never mind that he's also already read book 1 in the series as well, "Master & Commander").

I agree with the audio book suggestions. My husband flatly refused to read ASOIAF (he is not a big fan of SF&F) but he did agree to listen to some of the audio books during our morning commute. We've been mostly going by character storyline rather than by chapter - he's heard some Tyrion, Sansa, Arya, Catelyn, Bran, and Theon. We're about to start listening to Jaime.

If he likes books but not reading then you could always try audiobooks. The only real problem (besides obtaining them) is that each one pronounces character names differently.

Roy Dotrice reads the first 3 books, and he's fantastic! John Lee who reads A Feast for Crows not so much. He's the one who changes the name pronunciations. It's also an inferior production where they don't announce the disk and when the disk will end. I find it jarring to just hear the first track of the story start over again. I much more like it when they say, "end of disk X".

I started listening to audiobooks on my hour and a half round trip to the barn. Sure is a great way to pass the time because I've made the drive so often, I'm on auto pilot. I can't do it when I'm going some place less familiar.

Roy Dotrice reads the first 3 books, and he's fantastic! John Lee who reads A Feast for Crows not so much. He's the one who changes the name pronunciations. It's also an inferior production where they don't announce the disk and when the disk will end. I find it jarring to just hear the first track of the story start over again. I much more like it when they say, "end of disk X".

I had Roy Avers for A Game of Thrones, Roy Dotrice for A Clash of Kings, Roy Avers for Storm of Swords, John Lee for A Feast for Crows, Frank Muller for The Hedge Knight and Graeme Malcolm for The Sworn Sword. Therefore I've never been two books in a row with the same pronunciation and accents.

Last one he mentioned reading was "The Post Captain" by Patrick O'Brian, a great book I doubt he would have ever read otherwise (never mind that he's also already read book 1 in the series as well, "Master & Commander").

Dude! I just started re-reading that series two days ago. Absolutely awesome books.

Dude! I just started re-reading that series two days ago. Absolutely awesome books.

So far I've only read the first five. I'm thinking it might soon by time for #6. Of those five, #1, #2, #3 and #5 were amazing. #4 was okay, but no were near as good as the others.

So far I've only read the first five. I'm thinking it might soon by time for #6. Of those five, #1, #2, #3 and #5 were amazing. #4 was okay, but no were near as good as the others.

I mentioned to my mother once (just once) how I was thinking about reading Master and Commander after the movie came out and two days later she gave me the whole set of books (all twenty, plus the unfinished 21st) in hardcover. Over-all they're all pretty good, but the earlier ones are probably the best. I actually had the thought the other day that I would love to see more movies based on the books.

Hi,

I am trying to get my husband to read the "The Game of Thrones". He is no reader. I got him to read one book,in over 40 years of marriage. That was "Jaws". He was sick in bed for about two weeks. He told me he really did enjoy it.

He has dyslexia, so it is trying for him to do it.

I think he would enjoy the type of characters, as well as the story.

Looking forward to the release of the series on HBO.

Hehe Jaws...is your husband Basil Fawlty???

If he likes books but not reading then you could always try audiobooks. The only real problem (besides obtaining them) is that each one pronounces character names differently.

That is a good idea. I have never tried a audio book myself, but that may be just right for him.

Thank you for the suggestion!

strange as it may seem TV may come to the resuce now with your husband ... make him watch the hbo series or cut him off

He will certainly be watching the series with me. I will go fishing with him, when it is not on. Never cut him off in 40 years, not going to start now:)Except maybe the fishing thing, when it is too chilly lol!

I think audio books is a great solution. One of my friends is severely dyslexic and was not a big reader for most of his life, it was just nearly impossible for him to get through a novel. Now though, with his iPod and audio books being available online, he's found himself listening to tons of books he would have never got to otherwise. It's really expanded his range of reading and he now listens to probably a book a week, at least. Last one he mentioned reading was "The Post Captain" by Patrick O'Brian, a great book I doubt he would have ever read otherwise (never mind that he's also already read book 1 in the series as well, "Master & Commander").

We don't have a smartphone or a ipod. But I was thinking of getting us one. You can listen to them thru the IPOD? I guess so, I always just thought of them for music.

Thanks Brude

We don't have a smartphone or a ipod. But I was thinking of getting us one. You can listen to them thru the IPOD? I guess so, I always just thought of them for music.

Thanks Brude

Yeah, you can buy them via the iTunes store for the iPod/iPhone or on audible.com for iPod or other mp3 players. (Audible.com actually completely rules the downloadable audio books market and even supplies them to iTunes.)

Yeah, you can buy them via the iTunes store for the iPod/iPhone or on audible.com for iPod or other mp3 players. (Audible.com actually completely rules the downloadable audio books market and even supplies them to iTunes.)

If you borrow the books from the library, you can also load them up using iTunes on your Mac or PC and transfer them to an iPod/iPhone. I do that sometimes to avoid late fees.

I had Roy Avers for A Game of Thrones, Roy Dotrice for A Clash of Kings, Roy Avers for Storm of Swords, John Lee for A Feast for Crows, Frank Muller for The Hedge Knight and Graeme Malcolm for The Sworn Sword. Therefore I've never been two books in a row with the same pronunciation and accents.

Same here. I liked Roy Dotrice by the end of the book, but he seemed to be doing his utmost best to mangle the names as much as possible. I honestly would like to have a talk with him and figure out why he says 'Pe-tyre' and 'Bry-een'. Then this other guy pronounces it "BRAAAGHHHIIEENN" like a zombie yelling out for food.

Same here. I liked Roy Dotrice by the end of the book, but he seemed to be doing his utmost best to mangle the names as much as possible. I honestly would like to have a talk with him and figure out why he says 'Pe-tyre' and 'Bry-een'. Then this other guy pronounces it "BRAAAGHHHIIEENN" like a zombie yelling out for food.

John Lee generally sounds like a zombie yelling out for food. He's just dreadful!

Archived