Westeros Blog: Selecting a Composer

Over at “Not a Blog”, George R.R. Martin responds to a query regarding a potential composer for the HBO adaption of Game of Thrones. What GRRM indicates is that the production team has already narrowed down the list of candidates for the job and have interviewed the leading contenders, and that no new names are going to be looked at. Which suggests to us that the decision is probably quite imminent, presumably with an eye towards having the composer start his or her work as soon as possible.

George says he has his own favorite among the leading candidates, but we shall see what develops.

Visit the Site!

I just posted a somewhat related question to this on Not a Blog, we'll see if GRRM gets back on it. I'm wondering if Corvus Corax will be available for the reshoot of the banquet scene (unless there's a way to shoot around them) in reshoot, somehow). They seemed like an inspired choice to be the musicians for that scene.

After posting the question, I went to the Corvus Corax site and saw that they are performing tour dates up to July 25th, then have a week-long break until August 6th, so they will have a week off the first week of shooting and then from the 8th until the 14th they are off again, which will likely still be during the re-shoots of the first episode.

I know nothing about how concert schedules normally work, but might it be that they specifically planned to have a break/breaks to be available for the pilot reshoots? There would have been plenty of time for HBO to get them lined up since Catelyn was recast way back in March.

For major acts, I know from having waited 6 months for announced shows, it can be pretty far in advance. These guys have a pretty big following, but I don't know if they are considered a major act like that.

Archived