Alice Henley as Ygritte

Tyro Lannister

• 1 month later...

I always imagined Ygritte looking like Lily Cole. (still from Doctor Who).

She only works if she looked like in the first picture all the time. As ppl have said, Ygrite should be pretty, but in an odd sort of way. In that first picture of Lily Cole she looks sort of odd because it makes her cheeks look really big. Jon had no interest in Ygritte at first. It was only after a long time he started to notice little things he liked about her. So I imagine she would be someone who doesnt make you turn your head at all. In reality Lily Cole is stunning.

i think an unknown actress would be better for the part myself

This is most likely. There will likely be more familiar actors cast in S2 than in S1 now that the show is a hit, but not every single character.

I thinks she has good look for Ygritte. Personally I have always imagined Ygritte to be a quite pretty girl, not not conventionally beautiful or anything (allot closer to Björk then Angelina Jolie), but still a pretty girl. Some other suggestions:

1.Hannah Murray I was in a discussions in another thread about if Murray really has the fierceness this role demands, the the ability to play character that convincingly, without hesitation, can cut an old man's throat. Personally have no idea how Hannah would do in such a role, so far I have actually only seen her in roles as "troubled teenagers". But what I do know is that if you go by looks alone Murray is the perfect candidate for me: she has the round face, a bit of a pug nose, and crooked white teeth.

2.Lea Seydoux Fan favorite, I can definitely see why!

3. Martina Horrigan She looks the part, don't know anything about acting ability though!

4. Sarah Hilmer Rex Same as above.

5. Ruth Wilson A bit to pretty for the role maybe but I still thinks she has a good look for the part and she is also a very talented actress.

I really like the Ruth Wilson choice... She could make a good Mellisandre also

I really like the Ruth Wilson choice... She could make a good Mellisandre also

She is my #1 choice for Melisandre!

Alice Henley I think could work as Ygritte. She is pretty but far from Hlooywood pretty, imo. She had a very oddly shaped head and her mouth is huge. But if they dirtied her up she could pass as Ygritte.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who thinks she's ugly?

Almost surely not. For every actress (no matter how gorgeous) there will always be a mob of self- appointed critics, standing off to the side and harping on how fat, ugly, repulsive, etc. she is. (And, not surprisingly, it's almost always actresses, rather than actors, who fall victim to such critiques. Men in showbiz never seem to fall subject to the same physical dissection and brutal criticism that famous women get as a matter of course. Of course, I'm not crying sexism here-- both females and males alike are equally brutal-- and meticulous-- in cataloguing the minute flaws of actresses and other famous females.) I've often wondered what the people throwing out the criticism look like themselves; but the internet provides the perfect cover for people to say whatever the hell they want about the looks of others-- whatever they look like themselves.

Maybe, but it works; Ygritte is supposed to be a butterface.

Nice. A very respectful term.

At any rate, Ygritte is supposed to be unconventionally attractive; appealing, rather than pretty. One reason why she's always appealed to me (despite her catchphrase) is that she's one of the only two female characters who are not pretty who are treated positively by the author. (The other is Brienne.) All of the other female POV characters are not just beautiful, but impossible fantasy babes-- Asha, Arrianne, Cat, Sansa, Cersei (though she's getting old, fat, and ugly, clearly a reference to her inner corruption, etc.), Melisandre, Dany, and almost surely Arya (who, despite her brush with childhood plainness, is clearly shaping up to be a beauty, a la Lyanna.) All gorgeous. And in stark contrast to his male characters, who come in all different shapes, sizes, and levels of actractiveness; ranging from hideous (Tyrion) to extremely plain (Davos) to average (Ned, Jon Snow) to handsome (Jaime.) With women there is just ugly (Brienne) and drop dead gorgeous (every other female POV.) Furthermore, while the males cover a range of ages, females are all between 9 and 24-- of course, there is Cersei (who is portrayed as a gross, saggy, aging female at the age of 33; and Cat, who is a hideous monster now, and was asexual from the beginning (due to her age?)

Ygritte was always cool because she busted this rigid looks hierarchy that the author seems to go by (only where females are concerned, of course.)

If anything, I think Henly is too conventionally pretty to play Ygritte. However, I still think she'd be perfect. I heard she was trying out for the role of Melisandre, and actually hoped she would not get it-- not that she would not be awesom3e in the role (she would be) but because I really, really wanted to see her as Ygritte.

As for the fact that it should be an unknown playing Ygritte-- Henly is not an extremely famous/exposed face at this point.

Archived