New Winterfell coin from Shire Post Mint

Master of Coin

Just wanted to post a heads-up that a new coin is nearly ready. This one will be done on a hand-cut .999 fine silver blank in a very authentic 13th century Germanic style, with a size, weight, design, and feel reminiscent of actual coins of that period. The obverse will feature the visage of Eddard Stark gripping the sword ICE with a very broad blade, shield in the other hand. The inscription EDDARD STARK around the rim completes the obverse. The reverse side features a nicely rendered wolf rampant with the text WINTERFELL around it. As Warden of the North, Eddard would have had authority to issue coins in his own name as long as his image bore the sword (as warden) and NOT the sceptre... which would be interpreted as claiming kingship.

The pure silver blanks were cut with hand-shears (as they would have been in medieval times) and thus will be slightly uneven and every coin distinctly unique.

This will be the most authentically created Westerosi coin done to date. Dies are ready and just waiting for blanks to be finished. The engraver for this piece is Greg Franck-Weiby... a superb direct-engraver and medieval coin expert who is also responsible for a large number of SCA coins made for the kingdom of An-Tir. It was his idea to go the extra mile to make this issue period-authentic in every possible way so as to help people get the feel of what money was actually like in those days.

Planned price on this will be $16 each. They will weigh a hair over one pennyweight (1 dwt= 1.55g) and be slightly over the size of a penny. In the Westerosi coinage schema they will be equivalent to the silver stag.

More as soon as I have some images to show!

Tom Maringer

Shire Post Mint

Awesome. Can't wait for the first photos. :)

Here are some pics of the new Eddards!

http://www.shirepost.com/eddard-01.jpg

http://www.shirepost.com/eddard-02.jpg

http://www.shirepost.com/eddard-03.jpg

http://www.shirepost.com/eddard-04.jpg

http://www.shirepost.com/eddard-05.jpg

Each one is a bit different because of how the blanks were made and struck. I'm about a third of the way through the batch of 250 pieces. There's only been one brockage error so far. The portrait of Ned that Greg did is interesting because he sometimes seems angry and other times looks sad. You can almost see the doom hanging over his head that he himself doesn't even see yet.

Okay, finally finished with them! The whole batch came out at 264 pieces. I "circulated" 150 of them using a technique I have used in the past... but something strange happened and the results are seredipitously fabulous! My technique involves tumbling in rock-tumblers with steel shot and some patination chemicals. Copper typically turns a chocolate brown (that I like a lot) and silver usually turns a dark grey so that a bit of polishing brings out a nice contrast. Well... something ELSE happened here and the pieces have attained a state known to coin collectors as "rainbow toning". I have read research papers on this and nobody understands the chemistry but somehow I must have inadvertantly gotten it exactly right. The recessed areas of the coins attain a variety of colors, mostly yellows and oranges, but sometimes running into deep reds and even blues, greens, and purples! It's rather astonishing but impossible to replicate. So... here they are... uploaded on the online store.

https://secure.gcmcomputers.com/shirepost/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=293

You can see in the picture that the colors vary from piece to piece so it's impossible to say which colors you might get. I do have some uncirculated bright silver ones if you prefer... just please make a note of that when placing the order. These are really gorgeous pieces and are extremely authentic in that they emulate both the style AND fabric of medieval coins circa late 1200's Northern Europe. I have called them a "pfenig" in deference to the silver coin of the period (an early spelling of the word "penny") but they are considered a "stag" in terms of equivalent buying power with respect to other Westerosi coins.

Have fun!

Tom Maringer

Shire Post Mint

• 2 weeks later...

Those look GREAT. I will be buying a few for my a birthday as a gift to myself! Will go great next to my books on display! I'll need to get some plastic container to display the coins!

I love the wolf rampant design.

I'm trying to think if I want 3 or 4. I do know I want one bright silver one.

Those look GREAT. I will be buying a few for my a birthday gift to myself! Will go great next to my books on display! I'll need to get some plastic container to display the coins!

I love the wolf rampant design.

Thanks for the comments!

They come in a little plastic "flip" with the coin in one side and a printed descriptive insert in the other. But you should feel free to take them OUT of the flip and handle them! I've always felt that coins are a tactile experience much moreso than a visual one. So many coin collectors miss out because they think that they have to keep their coins pristine and untouched. That's one reason why I "circulate" them by rather brutal mechanical tumbling... these are NOT proofs... handle them all you want! The older they look the better! It's the feel in the hand that has the power to transport your mind to Westeros.

Have fun!

Tom

Thanks for the comments!

They come in a little plastic "flip" with the coin in one side and a printed descriptive insert in the other. But you should feel free to take them OUT of the flip and handle them! I've always felt that coins are a tactile experience much moreso than a visual one. So many coin collectors miss out because they think that they have to keep their coins pristine and untouched. That's one reason why I "circulate" them by rather brutal mechanical tumbling... these are NOT proofs... handle them all you want! The older they look the better! It's the feel in the hand that has the power to transport your mind to Westeros.

Have fun!

Tom

Awesome thanks. Ive been wondering how hard would it be to punch a tiny holes or two (which I would do) in one of the Eddard coins near the edge behind the wolf head to make into a necklace on my own. You'll see an order from me soon! *thumbs up*

Awesome thanks. Ive been wondering how hard would it be to punch a tiny holes or two (which I would do) in one of the Eddard coins near the edge behind the wolf head to make into a necklace on my own. You'll see an order from me soon! *thumbs up*

I can do that for you. I charge $4 to drill and set a silver soldered jump-ring. If you really want to do it yourself the best size drill is a #60 (tiny). The jump ring really needs to be soldered (to itself, not to the coin) or else there is risk the coin can slip off through the chink. Ned is a bit light (1.6 grms) to wear as a pendant... but with a very light silver chain it might be quite nice. A heavier chain would overpower the coin.

I don't have an option on the online store to add the jumpring... best to contact me directly if you'd like that.

Tom

Archived