WTB: Unbroken Lettered ASOIAF

evogeler

I understand that this is like holding up a cardboard sign with scribbled Sharpie marks asking "Will Work for Holy Grail", but if anyone out there is looking to sell their unbroken lettered aSoIaF--Meisha Merlin's Game of Thrones & Clash of Kings, Subterranean Press' Storm of Swords & Feast for Crows, along with rights to future books--PM me.

I wish I could say nonchalantly flick my wrist and say "Five figures!" but, alas, four figures it would have to be.

Of course, that doesn't do much to narrow the price down. I'd be more willing to nail down a firm price in a personal message rather than on a board.

There's really no precedent for the value of the series in lettered format however. I've followed auctions on Ebay for close to a decade and seen no lettered sets ever sold.

It's certainly worth at least 2500 to 3000 which would reflect the lowest monetary value of a numbered set but at approximately ten times the rarity, I can't even begin to guess at the monetary amount.

4 digits goes all the way to 9999 by the way. :)

Dennis

Yeah, I didnt really expect you to say five figures... if you did I was certainly gonna consider selling.

I have no idea what they're worth, I have no idea what the HBO series is going to do to the value (if anything), and I have no idea what the Sub Press reprtings of books 1 and 2 will do to the value (if anything), so sorry I'm going to hold on to them. Unless you want to pay five figures. :)

I appreciate everyone's input. And I agree with Justinian--it's probably wisest to adopt a wait and see approach with the SubPress reprints, etc. These things are nearly impossible to value at the moment.

That said, I'd still love to talk with anyone who's wanting to unload their set or considering breaking up their lettered set. I'd hate to see any more sets get broken up--like orphaned kitties.

And, SotM, 9999 is probably a bit steep too. Cheeky, though. ;)

In the end, a guy can dream, right?

I understand that this is like holding up a cardboard sign with scribbled Sharpie marks asking "Will Work for Holy Grail", but if anyone out there is looking to sell their unbroken lettered aSoIaF--Meisha Merlin's Game of Thrones & Clash of Kings, Subterranean Press' Storm of Swords & Feast for Crows, along with rights to future books--PM me.

HIJACK!!! (sorry evogeler :box: )

Just an FYI, I too want to purchase these. Been looking and trying to make offers for a few years.

Honestly, I'd probably suggest you wait to see how this whole Subterranean Press / MM reprint thing shakes out before you commit to something. There are so many unknowns I don't know how anyone can value these.

I am a completist collector (or at least try to be anyhow). The value does not mean as much to me as it does to others. Having the books in my collection is more important.

Hi-jack back! :ninja-chop:

I'm also in it for more the collector's / sentimental value than the actual dollar value. I've got a mostly complete limited edition set (only missing AGOT), therefore the lettered edition would be the "to keep and never sell" set.

Which is probably how most collectors view their lettered sets already. Sigh.

Let's keep in mind something though.

FIRST, we need Dance with Dragons to come out from SP. That can take a year by itself.

THEN, we have to commission an artist for the SP version of Game of Thrones, then the guy needs to read the book, plan out the drawings, DO the drawings, get them approved. All of this takes quite a bit of time to do. THEN, it has to be edited, the slipcases have to be ordered and done, etc etc.

Then rinse and repeat for Clash of Kings.

I think we are looking at 3 years MINIMUM before the Subterranean versions of GoT and CoK are out and by that time, we would be looking at HBO entering season 3 which would be Storm of Swords.

What I'm trying to say in my typical long-winded fashion is that any negative effect on the value of the Meisha versions won't truly be felt for quite a few years and it may very well be offset by the increase in demand from the extra notoriety that the show in HBO hopefully generates.

So, I don't think there's much point in waiting to acquire these if you happen to be lucky enough to land one.

In terms of price, I can only give Stephen King's Dark Tower sequence for a very rough comparison.

A complete first edition, first printing limited edition of all 7 novels go for 11k, 12k, and 20k depending on the details. Granted none of them have SOLD and Stephen King is much bigger than George Martin but the standard is there at the end of the day.

And an unbroken lettered set is after all much more RARE than any of the Dark Tower sequences and I think A Song of Ice and Fire has a higher upside and ceiling than the Dark Tower because of the HBO angle.

So while 10,000 is ridiculous at this moment in time, it may very well be attainable in say . . . 5 or 6 years depending on how well it does on HBO. There are people out there who are so wealthy that spending 10 or 15 or even 20K on books of this rarity and desirability is like you and me spending 250 or 350 dollars on a Subterranean Press offering. They're out there, they just don't like A Song of Ice and Fire . . . yet.

Dennis

P.S.: I will go on record now that I will sell my lettered set of A Song of Ice and Fire unbroken and with full rights to all future volumes in the series for 10k at this moment in time. I say this with only HALF my tongue in cheek. :thumbsup:

P.S.: I will go on record now that I will sell my lettered set of A Song of Ice and Fire unbroken and with full rights to all future volumes in the series for 10k at this moment in time. I say this with only HALF my tongue in cheek. :thumbsup:

I will go on record now that if I had a discretionary 10k to give, I'd make an offer. Alas, money is tight and I'm not sure even a lettered set would be worth that.

But I'll PM you, Sword, if I win the lotto! :thumbsup:

Eric

Archived