How Long Have You Been A Fan?

LadySansa

A friend gave me GOT at a party in 2001. Read the first 3 books in about 2 weeks. Then patiently waited for AFFC. Took a big break from the series then got back into it with the announcement of the HBO series. I can't tell you how many times over the years I checked George's website for updates, so glad to finally read, DONE! I've done 3 rereads, and listened to all 4 books on audiobook about 4 times now. Still picking up little things like foreshadowing and clues each time. I love it.

Gave my brother GOT for xmas and he's completely hooked. GF is listening to the audiobooks after hearing us talking about it and seeing the first HBO episode.

I bought a Game of Thrones and A Clash of Kings at the same time at Union Station in Washington DC back in 2000 when I was visiting the college I would attend. I needed something to read on the train ride home.

Since then I got two of my real brothers and about six of my fraternity brothers to become fans.

July 12 I will be in Canada on holiday, fiercely resisting the urge to run into a bookshop, buy the book and ignore my boyfriend for the next 10 hours.

July 18 I will be back in Ireland, having gone straight from airport to office, fiercely resisting the urge to run away from the office and start reading IMMEDIATELY.

Started reading the series after noticing the book cover for Game of Thrones around '97 or '98. I was a heavy WOT addict at the time, but thought I would give it try. It was one of the few times I've found that you could judge a book by its cover. Since then I've gotten my best friend, my sister, my mother and my wife all hooked. Now I read an "edited" version of the story to my oldest daughter...I leave out some of the adult content and she loves the book too.

I have two plans fo 12 July, haven't decided which is best yet.

A) Take 3 days off from work, and be at 9 AM at the entrance of the bookshop. I really want to take my time this time around with reading. The problem: 12 July is Tuesday, so I might have to go back to work on Friday.

B) Go to work on Tuesday, go to the bookshop after work, but then stay home Wed-Fri(-Sun).

I actually discovered a Game of Thrones by chance. In late 2004 I was in the Navy and was about to go on watch. It was going to be pretty boring so I wanted to bring some reading material. I looked on the small bookshelf that we had in the lounge area and just decided to pick a book by random. That book just happened to be Game of Thrones.

I knew the book was pretty serious when Bran was pushed out of the window. I was thinking "Damn, they even hurt kids in this novel." But it wasn't until Ned was beheaded that I was totally hooked. Not because I hated Ned or anything but because here was a story in which good didn't always win. To me that is realism.

I read "Dying of the Light" in 1977 and fell in love with GRRM. Wow, I just realized how old that makes me, actually about just as old as he is.

OMG, just looked at Ran's (Administrator) profile, you guys are so young.

Been reading him ever since, just waiting for next book and then next book...... read GOT when it first came out, 1996 snd converted my kids and husbands (actually, he converted when he read Sandkings!).

I only recently got into the series, quite by accident. In March I was over in Australia for a month for work, when I go over there I usually stay with some friends, one of which is a mad fantasy reader as well so rather than spending money on books I usually raid his library. First I devoured Neil Gaiman's American Gods (fkn brilliant!), then needed something else. My mate reads a lot of series but only ever owns some of them, so I was picking through his bookshelf trying to find a 'Book 1' somewhere, but all the ones I picked up were later parts of a variety of series. Then Game of Thrones fell into my hands and I started reading it based solely on the fact that it was the opener to a series. Man did I get hooked! Read all the books in about 2 weeks. When I got AffC I looked at the publication date and something in the back saying 'A Dance with Dragons - Coming next year' so I thought cool, there's another one I'll go get that tomorrow. Couldn't find it anywhere. Hopped on the net to see if it was out (I thought it must be because it had been years since AffC) only to stumble across there being a TV series just about to start and Dance with Dragons being on its way in July. Great timing as far as the HBO show was concerned, I've been watching it on the net and it will tide me over quite nicely until the next book comes out I think. Also gonna re-read the whole lot shortly once I finish what I'm reading at the mo.

As for July 12th, I live in New Zealand and it's not due for release here til the end of December so will have to order the book online and wait a bit longer until it's been sent from the States. But once I've got my hands on it I plan to lock myself in my room until I've finished it :)

2004. I will probably go down to the local Barnes and Noble and buy it and then do what I did in 2005...read the appendix first to brush up on my Westeros 'Who's who' (and remember what happened before) and then start the prologue with great reverence.

• 1 year later...

My friends told me about the show around February - March 2012. I've always been interested in medieval books and the first season really made an impact on me. Around two weeks later I bought the books. Since all the books were out by then, at least to ADWD, I didn't need to wait for that one at least! Finished them all sometime around April - May.

And here I am, checking this forum often as not. I've actually not yet seen any episodes so far of Season 2. Since I really enjoyed watching the first Season in one go, I decided to wait for the whole second Season. Will be a great start of the Summer vacation in a month or so, two whole Game of Thrones days!

Two weeks before the season finale of Game of Thrones (season 1). Right after I finished watching the first season I became convinced aSoIaF is the best thing since pizza, and I was not wrong.

Archived