Anyone else prefer the character ages in the show?

SkipDouglas

People need to stop bringing up Sansa's period scene. Do you really believe even if she was as old as she was in the books, that they would have shown or depicted or hinted at that scene on television?

The producers will come up with a different reason for why Joffrey hasn't bedded her.

People need to stop bringing up Sansa's period scene. Do you really believe even if she was as old as she was in the books, that they would have shown or depicted or hinted at that scene on television?

The producers will come up with a different reason for why Joffrey hasn't bedded her.

Invading forces from Stannis will likely be the best reason why Joffrey's preoccupied with the three whores and not Sansa.

And who are you to tell people to stop bringing up Sansa's red flower anyways - its obviously the subject of much titillating interest. ;)

But seriously, in reference to character aging, it does play some part even though its been said many times now that she could have gotten her period at 11 or 12, or as late as 16 or so in some rare cases. Sansa is more womanly looking and acting than her younger sister Arya, as each took after opposite parents. It fits to have her appear much older, regardless of flowering or breasts or anything else. She's the right age for being wed for the setting of the story.

I think people are just hung up on it being some sort of precursor to 'boobs' and womanly looks, but in reality you get all that before your period anyways... its not like they just magically spring out of your chest the first day you start bleeding. :rolleyes:

When reading the books, I found that I subconsciously lengthened the years by about 20% to account for it, but that still only added 2-3 years to their ages, not the 5+ that the older children seem to have in the show.

Well, the show keeps bringing it up. First at the Winterfell feast when Cersei asks and Joff specifically mentions it in the last episode. Believeable or not that Sansa hasn't bled yet, and I won't comment on the actress herself, the show is taking care the explicitly state that she has not. It's certainly already been the reason Joff hasn't bedded her yet, because he pretty much says exactly that. I don't know if we will get the same sort of scene as in the book where Sansa tries to burn her sheets, but there will be some sort or event or acknowledgement that it's happened based on how they keep drawing our attention to it so far.

Well, the show keeps bringing it up. First at the Winterfell feast when Cersei asks and Joff specifically mentions it in the last episode. Believeable or not that Sansa hasn't bled yet, and I won't comment on the actress herself, the show is taking care the explicitly state that she has not. It's certainly already been the reason Joff hasn't bedded her yet, because he pretty much says exactly that. I don't know if we will get the same sort of scene as in the book where Sansa tries to burn her sheets, but there will be some sort or event or acknowledgement that it's happened based on how they keep drawing our attention to it so far.

It's important to remember, however, that even after the sheet burning incident, Sansa's left alone by Joffrey. Cersei knows full well what happened, she's been informed by Sansa's maids who are under her orders. The book never says why Cersei doesn't let Joffrey know about it but I would assume its because she's got a lot bigger things on her plate (namely an impending invasion of King's Landing by Stannis) and doesn't necessarily want him molesting Sansa out of wedlock because she's probably already cooking a new scheme with the Tyrells by then (for Joffrey to drop Sansa and marry Margaery) - and possibly use Sansa as ransom or bartering for another alliance... who knows. For whatever reasons, Sansa is pretty much ignored and the war is helping her dodge a bullet so to speak with Joffrey, who seems more interested (probably not mature enough anyways) in crossbows and trebuchets than Sansa - though there was the one scene he ordered a guard to strip her naked and Tyrion just barely saved her from that humiliation and possible further disgrace.

I'm not sure exactly why Martin chose to ping so much on Sansa's womanhood other than as an instrument to build tension for her plight and near miss in marrying a monster like Joffrey. Nothing comes of it thankfully for Sansa's sake and her knowledge helps Margaery (via Grandma Olenna) deal with her own impending ties to this particularly nasty twig on the Lannister family tree.

I've always been a great fan of the actual ages in the books. I teach ages eleven to nineteen, and I'm dead sure if the times are different than ours, children and teenagers can act in-character exactly as they do in the books (with the possible exception of Dany, who I have trouble seeing).

My main gripes are Robb and Jon. Robb's achievements are diminished when the actor is ten (!!) years older than the character. Jon was my favourite character in the books; I like myself a bit of teenage angst. But teenage angst in a fully-grown man of twenty-six isn't cute anymore. Jon-Show looks like a wimp. (Which, many will try to tell me, he's been in the books all along, but I disagree).

The others all work for me, age-wise. The Joff actor is really 19?? Poor bloke. He won't be able to buy alcohol in the cornershop for years to come unless he's got his identification with him. :D

Archived