A Thread for Small Questions X

Datepalm

How exactly did the Wildlings get north of the Wall. Was it just because they wouldn't kneel to anybody and decided north of the Wall was the best place to hide?

According to Tyrion, they were simply living there when the wall went up. Who knows how true that was, given all this happened 8k years ago. However, their numbers may have been augmented by deserters from the watch. A theory I read is that the original "free folk" were all deserters of the NW, hence the need to "steal" women from South of the Wall.

GRRM has said that that was meant to be a touch of the unreliable narrator.

I have never seen the unreliable narrator used in that fashion before. Usually it is used when piecing together a story from multiple accounts etc., and not when we know what happened as we actually read it and then a character simply

remembers incorrectly. That is usually referred to as a continuity error. :uhoh:

I have never seen the unreliable narrator used in that fashion before. Usually it is used when piecing together a story from multiple accounts etc., and not when we know what happened as we actually read it and then a character simply

remembers incorrectly. That is usually referred to as a continuity error. :uhoh:

In ASOIAF many things are done not the most common way.

This detail definitely has a meaning and was GRRM's conscious decision. Obviously it's important for Sansa's development, but possibly also for the plot.

1) Is there anywhere collection of complete info (with quotes as a plus) on who is Azor Azai and his history and what he has done before and what he is supposed to again. So far I saw on the prophecy on his rebirth and I forgot the rest other than general ideas on him being the promised hero, fire against ice and etc. Same for the Prince that was Promised who he is and what he is supposed to do and what heralds his return. Any links and such?

n

2) another question is that regarding climate north of the Wall. If its supposed to be real cold there all the time even during the height of the summer and snows, how come there are trees and big forests up there. Should the climate be more like tundra - which is basically giant prarie frozen with little bushes and maybe some stunted trees? I was re-watching first episodes of GOT and it just struck me. The climate north of Wall is comparable to which place here on Earth?

I thought about that also. But for some reason it just didn't seem right.

It kind'a makes sense to me. Whether a wildling were a trueborn local beyond the wall, or a smallfolk who didn't want to partake of all the BS in the kingdoms, the wild north seemed like the logical place to be. And construction of the wall would've been a welcome development to prevent the BS from contaminating the wildling lifestyle.

2) another question is that regarding climate north of the Wall. If its supposed to be real cold there all the time even during the height of the summer and snows, how come there are trees and big forests up there. Should the climate be more like tundra - which is basically giant prarie frozen with little bushes and maybe some stunted trees? I was re-watching first episodes of GOT and it just struck me. The climate north of Wall is comparable to which place here on Earth?

I don't think there is snow all the time.

In Chet's chapter before the fight at the Fist, he freaks out because it starts to snow.

He says that snow will make it easy for the brothers to track them.

Which makes me think that there isn't always snow on the ground.

However, we also see Jon mention Ghost moving through snowy ground, and there was snow during the Game of Thrones Prologe.

So who knows?

I'm listening to A Storm of Swords, and Tyrion is thinking about Mandon Moore trying to kill him on the Blackwater.

He's sure that Cersei sent him.

I don't remember if it's ever pointed out what drove Mandon Moore to try killing Tyrion.

Who sent him, and why? Is Tyrion right in thinking it was Cersei?

I feel like it was Littlefinger, trying to take him out before Tyrion can use the Dagger info against him, but I don't remember.

I've read everything up to Dance with Dragons, so don't worry about spoiling me, it's just bugging me.

Was Jorah Mormont at the Harrenhall tournament?

Did he fight in Robert's Rebellion/the War of the Usurper?

He wasn't at Harrenhal AFAIK, but he did fight in the rebellion, on Robert's side, and stormed the walls of Pyke to boot.

I'm listening to A Storm of Swords, and Tyrion is thinking about Mandon Moore trying to kill him on the Blackwater.

I don't remember if it's ever pointed out what drove Mandon Moore to try killing Tyrion.

Never been established definitively just who sent Moore, but someone (tyrion? maybe jaime?) does regard him as Cersei's creature.

I feel like it was Littlefinger, trying to take him out before Tyrion can use the Dagger info against him, but I don't remember.

I've read everything up to Dance with Dragons, so don't worry about spoiling me, it's just bugging me.

I would say there is a lot of merit to the theory that Moore was LF's catspaw.

Question referring to summerhall:

where`s the dread about the events there? search function isn`t working.

we did not got much from the barristan chapter, but we got this one and it strikes me:

"The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crwon, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses"

from "what happened at summerhall" (which is still one of the essential past riddles) we got:

"Triggered by an unsuccessful attempt to raise a dragon, the tragedy likely includes the death of King Aegon V and possibly others while at the same time heralding or directly contributing to Rhaegar Targaryen’s birth. The Ghost of High Heart’s grief may be connected to the song of Jenny of Oldstones and the Prince of Dragonflies (III: 520). The Prince of Dragonflies was Prince Duncan Targaryen, the eldest son and (sometimes) heir (SSR) to King Aegon (SSR). A lyric from the song (III: 920) states that Jenny dances with her "ghosts", which suggests that the "grief" at Summerhall includes Duncan’s death and Jenny’s possible madness in reaction to her loss. Finally, it is possible that Ser Duncan the Tall, King Aegon’s friend and Lord Commander of his Kingsguard, also died there, given the fact that Ser Gerold Hightower was Lord Commander by 261 (III: 752)."

did we know that the first in line before rhaegar threw away his birthright for a woman?

and jenny of oldstones is the daughter of that wood witch, or?

and which war was this, which followed?

In the Westlands and the Reach, there is a river that flows from Silverhall directly south past Golden Grove until it flows into the Mander just above Highgarden. Its name isn't mentioned on any map, nor can I find its name on A Wiki of Ice and Fire.

Does anyone here know this mystery river's name?

Question referring to summerhall:

where`s the dread about the events there? search function isn`t working.

we did not got much from the barristan chapter, but we got this one and it strikes me:

"The Prince of Dragonflies loved Jenny of Oldstones so much he cast aside a crwon, and Westeros paid the bride price in corpses"

from "what happened at summerhall" (which is still one of the essential past riddles) we got:

"Triggered by an unsuccessful attempt to raise a dragon, the tragedy likely includes the death of King Aegon V and possibly others while at the same time heralding or directly contributing to Rhaegar Targaryen's birth. The Ghost of High Heart's grief may be connected to the song of Jenny of Oldstones and the Prince of Dragonflies (III: 520). The Prince of Dragonflies was Prince Duncan Targaryen, the eldest son and (sometimes) heir (SSR) to King Aegon (SSR). A lyric from the song (III: 920) states that Jenny dances with her "ghosts", which suggests that the "grief" at Summerhall includes Duncan's death and Jenny's possible madness in reaction to her loss. Finally, it is possible that Ser Duncan the Tall, King Aegon's friend and Lord Commander of his Kingsguard, also died there, given the fact that Ser Gerold Hightower was Lord Commander by 261 (III: 752)."

did we know that the first in line before rhaegar threw away his birthright for a woman?

and jenny of oldstones is the daughter of that wood witch, or?

and which war was this, which followed?

You are missing two kings. Aegon V heirs were Duncan (the Small) amd Jaehaerys, it is unknown which one was the oldest and actual heir but based on the song, we assume it was Duncan. He was in love with Jenny of Oldstones not known if they got engaged. When he died in Summerhall along with Aegon V (his father), Duncan the Tall (Dunk) he was still considered to be the heir to the throne.. AFTER his death, Jaehaerys became the king, and his son was Aerys II whose son Rhaegar is. Rhaegar was also born at Summerhall at exact same time as Aegon (his grandfather) and both Duncans were killed. Duncan Targaryen was first in line before Jaehaerys not Rhaegar, and while he was in love with Jenny at the time of his death he hadn't abdicated yet. Duncan was Rheagar's grand-uncle.

Not much known of Jenny of Oldstones, but she may have been the commoner. It is speculated that wood witch (ghost of High Heart ) is Jenny of Oldstones who went mad with grief for Duncan's death at Summerhall or possibly related to her somehow and Jenny died with Duncan at Summerhall.

Not sure what war you are referring to. Aegon V reign at the end was peaceful, he got into his head to revive dragons thus incident in Summerhall. No war followed. Jaehaerys ruled for several years, followed by Aerys II peacefully for another 10 years till incident at Duskendale which drove Aerys mad.

In Storm, there's a part where Arya thinks, that if the Hound had lost "his belly for fighting", why did he still keep his sword sharp, and why did he take her, alive, from the Twins? Why? What was Arya's thought process? Keeping his sword sharp, okay, killing his brother, but why keep her alive? So he could gloat?

This is probably obvious, oh well.

What was Arya's thought process? Keeping his sword sharp, okay, killing his brother, but why keep her alive? So he could gloat?

I assume that she was thinking - he could have just left her at the Twins, she was running away from him. He had fought off the first few Frey soldiers; he could have just abandoned her to her fate and run. Instead he chased her down and carried her off, which I think even Arya eventually sees as a rescue of sorts, which came at some risk to Sandor. So if he had "lost his belly for fighting" he wouldn't have risked chasing her down.

Archived