Best Tie-ins

SkynJay

Personally I blame Lucas more for changing the way the Universe worked in the prequels than Zahn for any continuity problems in his early books. But then I have only read a few book in the Starwars EU, and if push comes to shove I am perfectly willing to limit canon to the first 3 films, the X-wing games and some of the earliest novels. But that belongs in a completely different discussion.

There are more than 3 Star Wars films? :stunned:

Oh you must be refering to that 80s made for TV ewok movie. Yeah, that thing sucked.

There are more than 3 Star Wars films? :stunned:

Oh you must be refering to that 80s made for TV ewok movie. Yeah, that thing sucked.

No, some bad fan fiction was released a few years back. Get this, they actually had Vader as 3PO's creator. It was SO stupid.

That joke stopped being funny years ago. It's as lame as the Harry Potter shipping fanatics who like to pretend that the epilogue to Deathly Hallows didn't happen.

See, we agree on something!

To paraphrase Calvin and Hobbes, "If a joke is funny one time, it is funny one hundred times."

And hell, the Potter fans released a whole book on it, so they took it WAY further.

That's even lamer than I thought. Why can't they be content writing bad fan fiction and complaining on the internet?

In any case, this is derailing the thread even more. Back on topic, I'll say that I liked much of the Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri trilogy of books, although it's unrealistic and overly forced to comply with some of the game mechanics (like extreme population growth and insane technological advancement for a new colony with a low population).

That's true. The radio series came first, so The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy 'trilogy' is indeed technically a tie-in series :)

Ha! Therefore, so is Neverwhere, since Neil Gaiman's TV series came first :D

I think there is a question of "adaptation" of a given story from one medium to another versus stories that "tie-in" to other stories across media. I'm not sure you can call Neverwhere a tie-in because it isn't a new story that ties in with an existing story, it's a retelling of that existing story in a new medium. Hitchhikers is more complex since it starts off as pure adaptation, but gradually goes off in new directions and so the later books could certainly be called tie-ins.

More on-topic, haven't read them myself, but I've heard nothing about good things about K.W. Jeter's authorized-by-PKD sequel novels to the Bladerunner movie.

Archived