My end-of-book thoughts

SqueakyG

I didn't know it is such a drag for many people. The Bran and Dany's POV did bore me a bit, yet i enjoyed the ACoK pretty as much as the GoT. There are so many times that I was misled and when I found out I was tricked, I just couldn't help admiring:"Well played, GRRM!" I believe what looked like duds in this book will turn out to be massive explosions later, just have to allow it some time to build up the momentum.

As for putting Winterfell on fire, I feel the plot is mercifully arranged, albeit he misled me into believing Bran and Rickon were dead for so many chapters. Before it happened, the green dreams sort of prepared us for the misfortune to fall upon the whole Winterfell, and in reality the boys luckily escaped the death. Thinking of GRRM's reputation for killing his characters make me even more grateful. "It is not dead,just broken." There are something more dreadfull coming, but this is the spirit we will share with Bran to overcome whatver life /GRRM keeps in store for him/us.

I agree. I actually thought ACOK was better than AGOT... I thought Arya's storyline was way better and Sansa was worlds better

Tyrion's chapters were all really good, and even though Jon didn't do too much his last chapters with the half hand were epic

and the whole battle of the blackwater was awesome

and of course catelyn's conversation with jaime was arguably my favorite in the series.

I agree with pretty much everything you've said! I had similar 'issues' when I read ACOK.

The Bran storyline was mind numbing at first. I seriously did not care who was feasting who, or who was visiting. I don't like the wolf dreams either, they are completely drawn out and very little importance has come out of them as of yet.

Daenery's storyline was borderline pointless. Finding the abandoned city just felt like a huge plot device to bulk out the book! It got a little exciting with the warlock temple, but it still didn't move her storyline along much, apart from to give her their 'warning' or 'prophecy'.

Davos was a big favourite for me however, but he only gets 3 or 4 chapters which is a shame considering the amount Arya gets.

I actually really liked Theon's storyline, even though he was a huge douche! Watching his twisted mind try to please his father, only for things to completely back fire was almost tragic.

I'm not convinced that ACOK will translate as easily into a show as AGOT did however, as like you've said many characters aren't in it, and a few of the characters story lines slow down to snails pace. I hope they put in Jaime's escape attempt and some of Robb's battle to still give the actors their screen time.

First i wanna say very good post, secondly welcome to the Board. I think the best part of the book for me personally was, i truly believed at first that Bran and Rickon had been killed. GRRM gives enough hints right before it supposedly happens to let us know that it doesn't, but after everything that had happened in GoT i was prepared for the worst. Then the whole Bran touching Jon's mind thing saying he was somewhere Dark, i thought for sure they were dead.

I hope you enjoy the next 3 books and be very careful aboiut venturing into other threads, you really don't want to be spoiled :)

Archived