Audiobook

Godswood

Hi everyone, I'm a new reader of this series and found this board while reading book 1. I've tried to avoid the board do to potential spoilers, but have still found my self clicking on the "still reading" forums.

I'm an audiobook "reader," and I have been severely disappointed in the audiobook for AFFC. Roy Dotrice brought the first three books to life in a way that I have never experienced from any audiobook. I don't know the point of this thread, but I really felt the need to express the disappointment I am feeling while listening to this audiobook.

Hi everyone, I'm a new reader of this series and found this board while reading book 1. I've tried to avoid the board do to potential spoilers, but have still found my self clicking on the "still reading" forums.

I'm an audiobook "reader," and I have been severely disappointed in the audiobook for AFFC. Roy Dotrice brought the first three books to life in a way that I have never experienced from any audiobook. I don't know the point of this thread, but I really felt the need to express the disappointment I am feeling while listening to this audiobook.

I didn't mind the audiobook for AFFC, it did take a little getting used to a new voice, but he mostly did a good job. Roy Dotrice was unavailable to record AFFC, but he did return for ADWD. Some of his character interpretations were changed, it was most notable on Dany, she has almost the same voice he used for Ygrette.

I too am enjoying these books in audiobook format. I really enjoyed Roy Dotrice's narration. All those wonderful voices! John Lee certainly has a different narration style but I'm growing accustomed to it. I was happy to hear that Roy Dotrice has narrated A Dance with Dragons and I sincerely hope that he will be able to narrate the rest of the series. I also heard somewhere that Roy Dotrice was given a part in the HBO dramatization as Grand Maester Pycelle.

I too am enjoying these books in audiobook format. I really enjoyed Roy Dotrice's narration. All those wonderful voices! John Lee certainly has a different narration style but I'm growing accustomed to it. I was happy to hear that Roy Dotrice has narrated A Dance with Dragons and I sincerely hope that he will be able to narrate the rest of the series. I also heard somewhere that Roy Dotrice was given a part in the HBO dramatization as Grand Maester Pycelle.

Julian Glover plays Pycelle in the HBO production of A Game of Thrones.

Edit: I just read an article that explained that Roy Dotrice was originally offered the role of Pycelle, but had to decline due to illness. However, Roy will be playing one of the Alchemists in King's Landing in season 2.

Julian Glover plays Pycelle in the HBO production of A Game of Thrones.

Edit: I just read an article that explained that Roy Dotrice was originally offered the role of Pycelle, but had to decline due to illness. However, Roy will be playing one of the Alchemists in King's Landing in season 2.

Thank you, Sylchd! I should probably check my facts before opening my mouth! :blushing:

I think it is wonderful that Roy Dotrice is being included in the HBO series -- such a nice acknowledgement of his work on the books. He truly has brought the characters to life.

Thank you, Sylchd! I should probably check my facts before opening my mouth! :blushing:

I think it is wonderful that Roy Dotrice is being included in the HBO series -- such a nice acknowledgement of his work on the books. He truly has brought the characters to life.

No worries, you were partially correct, that's why I made my edit.

Another thing about the audiobooks that I just realized, its sometimes not easy to know if something is a proper name. For example snow and Snow, I JUST put 2+2 together, I was only thinking of the actual precipitation, not Jon Snow. But all in all, the audiobooks are awesome.

No worries, you were partially correct, that's why I made my edit.

Another thing about the audiobooks that I just realized, its sometimes not easy to know if something is a proper name. For example snow and Snow, I JUST put 2+2 together, I was only thinking of the actual precipitation, not Jon Snow. But all in all, the audiobooks are awesome.

I like the audiobooks too, especially since I can enjoy the books while I'm commuting to work or exercising, doing laundry, etc. But not only do I find the issue of determining proper names in some situations difficult, I also think I miss some nuances when I just listen rather than read the books. I found that I have benefited from reading some sections of the physical book because I can stop, re-read a passage, and think about it a little bit. The narration of the audiobooks moves on without allowing the listener to stop and mull over the words for a bit. I wound up purchasing the Kindle version of these books and have found myself going back and reading over a section I've listened to in order to ensure I haven't missed anything important. I like that search feature on Kindle!! Saves time when looking for a name or location!

I too am an Audiobook reader and cant see myself ever sitting down and physically reading a book ever again! I no longer have to neglect the chores in favour of reading because I can listen while I walk, drive, cook, do housework, garden.... I'm not very good company though!

I wish they could have used the same narrator for all the books. I have done them one after the other (still reading ADWD) and have had some difficulty adjusting to the different accents of the narrators.... sometimes Jon Snow sounds like an old lady, sometimes like a pirate... and Dany has an almost Irish lilt! Still the story is so engrossing, all can be forgiven.

The forum is great! I have confirmed some of my own theories and been surprised by others. I've also picked up on things I may otherwise have missed, so thanks everyone for your input!

Im not sure if it means anything but the uk audible site does not have AFFC available yet and states that it is currently being recorded and will be available in September, could this mean a redo with Avers or Dotrice at the helm? Might just mean nothing of course.

If you've listened to the audiobook, perhaps you could answer my question about the pronounciation of "Damphair" ... is it "Damp-hair" or "dam-fair"?

(Sorry for thread jacking!)

No worries, it was pronounced closer to "damp-hair" I believe, maybe closer to damp-here, but definitely not dam-fair.

Im not sure if it means anything but the uk audible site does not have AFFC available yet and states that it is currently being recorded and will be available in September, could this mean a redo with Avers or Dotrice at the helm? Might just mean nothing of course.

Hmm, that is strange, I would imagine it would just be the same as available in America, since it's already recorded and the publisher holds the rights to it. I couldn't understand them spending money to have it recorded again, but who knows.

If you've listened to the audiobook, perhaps you could answer my question about the pronounciation of "Damphair" ... is it "Damp-hair" or "dam-fair"?

(Sorry for thread jacking!)

Yep, Damp-Hair. I have mp3 versions of the books read by three different narrators: Roy Avers (Books 1,2,3), John Lee(Book 4) and Roy Dotrice (Book 5). Who is your preferred narrator?

Yep, Damp-Hair. I have mp3 versions of the books read by three different narrators: Roy Avers (Books 1,2,3), John Lee(Book 4) and Roy Dotrice (Book 5). Who is your preferred narrator?

I love Dotrice! He's my comfort voice! I listened to his versions of the first 3 books. Even though he makes Davos sound like the pirate captain from the Venture Brothers, and his Tyrion sounds a bit like Eddie Izzard's James Mason impression, I still love him. I'm about halfway through AFFC right now, and John Lee sounds a bit like George Takei to me. It is hard to take him seriously sometimes, but I think I just miss Dotrice.

I listen at work in my office, but it's always embarrassing when someone walks in while some brutal mortal injury or vigorous penetration is being described...

They all have their pros and cons. Dotrice is great with the different voices and the overall tone but sucks with the womens voices. Avers does the women especially well and I love how his reading picks up one hell of a pace during fight scenes. But overall, I find the sound of his voice less pleasant than that of Dotrice's, and his pronouncement of certain character names causes me bellyaches (with Brienne being the exception).

Lee's voice sounds better than Aver's but he isn't as good with the character voices and he tends to "overpronounce" certain things, like for example "droowwwwwwwwnnedddddd men". And, like with Avers, a lot of the names don't sound quite right to me.

• 1 month later...

I'm not that satisfied by Roy Dotrice's reading of the books; he has this certain colour of voice and manner of pronunciation some words that really takes getting used to. I'm also more into actually reading- I can't really have a good grasp of the story by only listening to a recording. I usually stop randomly during the reading of a certain chapter to day dream of make up my own theories :idea: His voice and impersonation of female voices always draws my attention from the plot to stop and think how lousy he is at it. I found myself wondering more than once after hearing an audio chapter what has really happened- and I'd usually do a re-read :read: Some names are pronunced in a wrong way as well, I think. I just think that at least two actors are needed to bring this many character's voices to life- simply to help us distinguish characters more easily.

• 1 month later...

A have a hard time with Lee because so many of his voices sound alike I can't always tell who is talking, and I especially can't always tell whats actually been said aloud and whats just thinking, Dotrice was good at that part. I won't need to listen to the audio book again though by the time Dotrice finished recording AFFC! which is too bad but since my favorite voices of his, Tyrion, Davos, and Sandor Clegane aren't in this book it's all right.

I adore the audio books, its the only way I have time to read anymore because I can listen while I draw.

Archived