Does number matter in the limited?

HappyTimes

Simply. No. It's worth the same as number 1 or 448 and anything in between. The limited numbered have all the same value. And the Lettered (all of them no matter what letter) have the same even greater value than the numbered.

What matters more is the condition at which they are in to decrease that value.

If condition is all equal (and the numbers all match), I imagine some people may find a single-digit to be more attractive than a higher numbered edition.

If you could buy a complete set of #110 for $3000, would you be willing to pay $50 more to get #1. I know I would. I would pay $100 more. I wouldn't pay $500 more.

If condition is all equal (and the numbers all match), I imagine some people may find a single-digit to be more attractive than a higher numbered edition.

If you could buy a complete set of #110 for $3000, would you be willing to pay $50 more to get #1. I know I would. I would pay $100 more. I wouldn't pay $500 more.

It MAY seem more attractive to the uneducated collector. But doing just enough research will inform a buyer/collector that there were only 2 editions and one printing run of each, and with each edition only a certain amount made. What matters in value is: What edition is it, if its a complete set, if its buy itself and what condition it is in.

My complete numbered set is the same value as #1 or #448. The only difference would be in printing. But since this was all done in one printing and will never be back to a second print. It's all the same value. Like I said before the only difference to the values is how poorly you have treated them, or how well you have kept them. And there will be no other editions then what was printed. The Limited Lettered and Limited Numbered.

If you manage to fool some ignorant sucker that a #1 is worth more then say #239, or a A is worth more then a B or D is worth more then a AA. That's on you, I'd consider it akin to a House Frey move ;P

It MAY seem more attractive to the uneducated collector. But doing just enough research will inform a buyer/collector that there were only 2 editions and one printing run of each, and with each edition only a certain amount made. What matters in value is: What edition is it, if its a complete set, if its buy itself and what condition it is in.

My complete numbered set is the same value as #1 or #448. The only difference would be in printing. But since this was all done in one printing and will never be back to a second print. It's all the same value. Like I said before the only difference to the values is how poorly you have treated them, or how well you have kept them. And there will be no other editions then what was printed. The Limited Lettered and Limited Numbered.

If you manage to fool some ignorant sucker that a #1 is worth more then say #239, or a A is worth more then a B or D is worth more then a AA. That's on you, I'd consider it akin to a House Frey move ;P

My friend, I am sorry, but you are absolutely wrong in this. These are now secondary market and they are worth whatever people are willing to pay for them (and this amount can change daily, weekly, yearly). I would not have to fool someone, because there are plenty of people willing to pay a little more for something that is important to them. Some people value a lower number, be it for personal gratification or bragging rights or whatever. You would not have to tell anyone it is worth more, because some people will automatically value it more (and therefore, it is worth more). I already said I would be willing to pay $100 more for #1 than for another numbered edition; so if a set in perfect condition is now worth $4000, then #1 in perfect condition is worth $4100, simply because I am willing to pay that little premium. All it takes is for two people to agree in said premium for it to become fact.

i think you're both right... but that the number doesn't matter to its intrinsic or inherent value, but it does probably matter to its practical value if you're selling and are patient enough to wait for someone who's lucky number is 441, or whose lucky letter is B instead of Q

I'd also pay a small premium for #1, but I also think that despite that, its not worth anymore then #2 or #22 :P

you guys are just talking semantics really!

Well I have some experience in this since I collect all manner of things: swords, statues, books, etc, etc.

In general, the number doesn't matter. In many cases they aren't even made according to number. As the factories in China produce products the numbers are actually randomly assigned. So #890 could have been manufactured well before 98 for instance.

That having been said, sometimes the low numbers are reserved for important VIPs or people close to the production. Thus, it is rare that a #1 is made available to the general public.

So, in terms of pure value itself, there is truly no difference whatever number you get. The concept of a lower number being somehow more valuable is purely an emotional one. I've seen literally hundreds of auctions where a "lower" number is used as a selling point. Very, very, very rarely will these auctions ever end at an appreciably higher price than any other number.

Oh, I agree with both of you. The difference is small, and it is not absolutely quantifiable. Is $100 much of a difference when we are talking $4000? No, it isn't (2.5%). There are far too many factors in auctions and sale prices of collectible items for a numbered set of items for it to really matter beyond some kind of ego boost, self-satisfaction, or bragging rights.

Within the context of the OP's question. No, it does not really matter. Condition is what matters.

Archived