The Viper's plan

Urien the Ragged

are we sure that oberyn planned to have the mountain die at the duel? it would seem to me that he meant for the mountain to suffer greatly, dying slowly from poison eating him from within. now why would he go through all that trouble to have the poison enchanted, just to lop off his head at the contest?

I'm only about a little over half way through AFFC.....

I have a strange suspicion that the viper sacrificed himself to incite the people of dorne to war against the lannisters, knowing his daughters would require blood vengeance and the people would near riot in the streets. THAT would be his proper vengeance, as clegane was just an instrument.

he also extracted a full confession from the mountain, let us not forget.

are we sure that oberyn planned to have the mountain die at the duel? it would seem to me that he meant for the mountain to suffer greatly, dying slowly from poison eating him from within. now why would he go through all that trouble to have the poison enchanted, just to lop off his head at the contest?

I'm only about a little over half way through AFFC.....

I have a strange suspicion that the viper sacrificed himself to incite the people of dorne to war against the lannisters, knowing his daughters would require blood vengeance and the people would near riot in the streets. THAT would be his proper vengeance, as clegane was just an instrument.

he also extracted a full confession from the mountain, let us not forget.

I believe he intended for the Mountain to die in the duel, however the poisons were a back-up plan. If he got a blow in with the poison blade, that would have been enough. It's possible he could have intended to be a sacrifice, but I'm not 100% on that.

I believe he poisoned him in that manner because he knew the Mountain killed Elia. At what stage in the fight did the Mountain give his confession? I can't remember. Because if he got the confession it probably didn't matter that he died suffering. Plus we don't know that he meant to lop off the Mountain's head.

I believe he poisoned him in that manner because he knew the Mountain killed Elia. At what stage in the fight did the Mountain give his confession? I can't remember. Because if he got the confession it probably didn't matter that he died suffering. Plus we don't know that he meant to lop off the Mountain's head.

at the end, just before he crushed his skull.

I believe he intended for the Mountain to die in the duel, however the poisons were a back-up plan. If he got a blow in with the poison blade, that would have been enough. It's possible he could have intended to be a sacrifice, but I'm not 100% on that.

I am absolutely sure he wanted to kill him in the duel. Remember, this was a duel to the death, for Oberyn to survive it Gregor would have to die. The poison was a backup plan just in case Oberyn failed to kill him outright.

I am absolutely sure he wanted to kill him in the duel. Remember, this was a duel to the death, for Oberyn to survive it Gregor would have to die. The poison was a backup plan just in case Oberyn failed to kill him outright.

I love your screen name! Those damn feisty preteen girls of the North rock!

This is cocky ass Prince Oberyn we're talking about. He wanted to kill the Mountain, and declare war on the Lannisters anyway, by declaring Mycella as the heir to the Throne.

What I wonder is if he was actually convinced in Tyrion's innocence, or if he was going to volunteer his spear to his cause, even if Tyrion shouted out: "YES, I KILLED MY BASTARD NEPHEW AND YOU'RE ALL NEXT!" Something tells me he'd do it even then.

The poison was a backup plan just in case Oberyn failed to kill him outright.

That is precisely my thought on the issue. Oberyn had every intention of killing Gregor right then and there, but the poison on the spear meant that, at the end of the day, The Mountain was a dead man regardless of the outcome of the battle.

Archived