Plagarism: Yea or Nay?

Honey Badger

All of this is true. However, I'll be amazed if the student had not been given this information already, either in writing, as part of an introductory talk, or both. Universities don't simply take it for granted that everyone understands what plagiarism is.

It's not HB's role to be advising other students about this, and given that the work was already late, I strongly doubt that he had the time to be coaching. Now that the problem has been reported, I would imagine that if what you say above is true, then the first option will be for someone who is qualified to be doing that coaching, to do it.

Essentially, the criticism of HB seems to be entirely founded on the idea that he should be taking on the role of an instructor. That's inappropriate and risky for him, and for the other members of the group.

That is true as well. But I'm not saying HB should be a coach, rather tell the person that they messed up. I'm all for him reporting her, as that's what should be done. But I know in my case if I ever screwed up that bad, I'd like a peer to tell me "Hey, you really shouldn't have done that."

That is true as well. But I'm not saying HB should be a coach, rather tell the person that they messed up. I'm all for him reporting her, as that's what should be done. But I know in my case if I ever screwed up that bad, I'd like a peer to tell me "Hey, you really shouldn't have done that."

Unless there is a possibility that you might not report the student, I don't see what talking to the offending student does for anyone. Talking to the student prior to alerting the professor may clear a misunderstanding or non-actionable offense that does not need to be reported.

Unless there is a possibility that you might not report the student, I don't see what talking to the offending student does for anyone. Talking to the student prior to alerting the professor may clear a misunderstanding or non-actionable offense that does not need to be reported.

I guess if a statement bears repeating once, it's worthy enough to take up half a thread in repetition.

For what it's worth Honey Badger I think you did the right thing. I'm kind of floored and dismayed by so many people thinking you did the wrong thing, or that you owed this woman anything, much less a favor, or that you are some how lame for doing this.

The next group she was in might not have as good of fact checker and she'd be a loose cannon that had the potentional to ruin a lot of people's grades, schooling, etc. You were completely right to let people who are trained handle this. :grouphug:

Talking to the student prior to alerting the professor may clear a misunderstanding or non-actionable offense that does not need to be reported.

You truly have sincere doubts that this woman had not committed plagiarism? In what context is what she had done a type of misunderstanding? Why is it that Honey Badger, someone not trained for adjudicating plagiarism issues, is expected to judge the situation on whether it is actionable or not, when that's the role of the instructor and the student judiciary panel?

i just got a call from the dead horse, he is tired of getting beat

no one is going to shift their views in this thread, and each question seems to just circle back to earlier posts that clearly state the view and answer to the question.

i'd say we should all walk away and let the thread die.

Archived