*March's What are you Reading?!*

nobodymN

Hi all. I'm almost done with The Rise of Endymion, just 130 pages to go... and I still don't know what the hell is going on. I kinda lost interest. I didn't enjoy The Endymion Saga as much as The Hyperion Cantos. Aenea is a terribly uninteresting messiah.

I'm halfway through a bizzare steampunk novel called Souls in the Great Machine by Sean McMullen. Librarians fighting duels over mathematical minutiae, sea monsters possessing a siren call to suicide, mathematicians kidnapped by the thousands to become human computer parts, and a mad scheme to destroy ancient obital defense satellites. The sequel better be as good!

Well, I thought I'd read a few classics that I had somehow never read. At the moment, I'm reading Dracula. It's surprisingly dry, maybe because of the format (everything so far is either a letter or a journal entry, so I never feel like I'm in the story, if that makes sense). Or maybe since I know the story so well via osmosis (movies and the like), it's just lacking in surprises...

About Halfway through Perdido Street Station. Got the latest installment in Turtledove's Great War/WW2 serious on Deck. Just finished Bakker's trilogy. Than I've got The Scar, also by Melville. Hopefully by the time I finish, Jordan's latest will be out on Paperback...cause I'm not paying hardcover prices for that shit.

I'm attempting to read Vernon God Little. I tried to read it once before but lost my interest as I had just bought Shadowmarch and when given the choice to read fantasy or post-modern/general fiction books I'll usually pick fantasy. (I know, I know, but fantasy is just so much more fun to read :P )

Getting back on reading track, I picked up Bonehunters (Erikson) and Carey's Kushiel's Scion again, and also been reading some of those fine comics members (big thanks!) recommended me, while stealing some time to read an Agatha Christie Poirot novel, Cat Among the Pigeons. I got Stephen Baxter's new Emperor coming out (I think in June) that I'm really looking forward to read. Finally put up my review of Daniel Abraham's A Shadow in Summer, which came out last week, the first book in his Long Price Quartet

Not going to read your review of A Shadow in Summer yet Jay because I'm reading it right now. But at 70 pages in, I'm enjoying it a lot.

Also taking my time working my way through Watchmen.

I am slowly slogging through my waning interest and dense, scientific and mathematical details in The Rise of Endymion. I can't seem to want to finish it. It seems Dan Simmons has crammed alot of the loose ends in the series into Aenea soliloquies in the last 140 pages or so (inbetween a sudden upsurge in Raul/Aenea sex). The true identity of the Shrike (!) was a surprise -- I never saw it coming, maybe I didn't pay attention -- and the Ousters' living Dyson sphere was incredible, but still... I've heard Simmons isn't considered 'hard' sci-fi, but damn, it's getting technobabble-tastic.

I just finished The King's Own, the second book by Lorna Freeman, and Pretender, the eigth Foreigner novel by CJ Cherryh. Just started Heir of Autumn by Giles Carwyn and Todd Fahnestock.

Started Michelle West's 'Hunter's Oath', the first in a duology; should be good.

I had a whole lot of trouble getting started with this one. I think it's because I'd read the Sun Sword series first, and the synopses to both books in the duology. I spent at least the first quarter of Hunter's Oath wondering when I was going to get to the part about Jewel's backstory before realizing that she wasn't included in Oath. A West story focusing entirely on one PoV character was disturbing and unnerving, and possibly just fundamentally wrong.

I'm almost finished with "Heart of Darkness" by Joseph Conrad. Great book, imo.

Next in my queue is "Song of Susanna" in King's Dark Tower series. I've started it twice before, but thought it was just too crappy. I've heard the last book isn't bad, and I really want to finish the series, but i don't know if I can finish it.

I also have Perdido Street Station in line somewhere, but it keeps getting pushed back.

Try The Devils by the same author. I have problems getting through that one. Still undecisive as to whether I like it or not.

Zollo, I'd suggest getting Pevear and Volokhonsky translations in future (they call that book Demons). I often find that getting the right translation to a book can make a world of difference in my enjoyment of it. P/V's translation was smooth, readable, and had very helpful notes which enhanced my understanding and enjoyment of the book.

Are there more books to come? I thought is was a trilogy...

The plan is for another set of books (two volumes, it is said) that take place some decades after Prince of Nothing. But Prince of Nothing is finished—you will agree that the next books couldn't be called Prince of Nothing anymore. In order to not spoil anybody: Yes, this may be because he died, or became Prince of Something, or (like Star Wars) the next books are about his father instead, or he had a sex-change operation so that he now is called Princess of Nothing, or because he changed his name to The Monk Formerly Known as Prince of Nothing or for a million other reasons. Why knows? Read and find out.

Archived