Syrio Forel

Ice & Fire

Sorry, there's an absolute lack of evidence to suggest Syrio died. Not even a throwaway comment by Meryn Trant. How hard would it have been for GRRM to sneak that in if he really wanted to clear up any doubt? First rule of fiction: No corpse, no death (and even that's not a given in ASOIAF).

I was buying into the:

Syrio Forel as Jaqen H'ghar theory. But when I actually think about it, I'd rather the charismatic First Sword of Braavos was his own man and not a face-changing cutthroat.

Once again GRRM has said He doesn't understand why people keep thinking Syrio lived, he's not immortal.

1. Where is the official source of this quote?

2. That doesn't translate into "Yes, Syrio is definitely, absolutely, positively, brown bread."

In 2005, GRRM pointed out that Syrio seems to have been left in a hopeless situation when he was last seen, and suggested readers should “draw your own conclusions” based on this, which seems to imply that syrio forel was in fact killed. More recent reports (but, it should be said, unconfirmed) indicate GRRM does not understand why he gets asked the question repeatedly, pointing out that Syrio is not immortal; if accurate, this seems to more heavily imply that Syrio Forel is dead.

http://www.westeros....FAQ/Entry/1999/

On the previous page, It doesn't, but GRRM usually gets cagey around questions about characters that may re-appear later (Difference in answer Rhaenys/Aegon before ADWD was released, I'll look for the SSM on that), but with Syrio he doesn't seem cagey at all.

Don't get me wrong, I love Syrio, hence my avatar. While its not conclusive beyond a doubt I just don't see any way he would have gotten out of that situation and Trant lives as well.

This is one of those things I've never understood. There were two men still standing in that room when Arya fled and only one is known to have walked out alive. His name was Meryn Trant. I really don't see Syrio getting out of that room with Trant still breathing.

He was a great character but so are all the others who end up dead. By the end of this thing, I figure more characters will be dead than alive and we're just going to have to accept it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got to this part in the book, and I'd say that even though GRRM didn't come out and explicitly say what happened regarding Syrio's fate, I still think he didn't leave that place alive. It seemed, in my opinion pretty blatant that Meryn Trant won; I can't see Syrio still surviving if Trant was left alive, but that's just the way I interpreted it. In a way, it makes sense to not have GRRM spell it out for us -- it's from Arya's perspective, and she didn't necessarily witness everything to the end (I'm going off of the book since I haven't been able to watch the HBO series). At that point, it would seem a little unnecessary for Syrio to just turn up again (as much as I do like the character) but those are just my two cents.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Syrio may or may not be dead. Everyone points out what Martin says about him not understanding why people think he is still alive and he isn't immortal. If you have ever heard martin speak about his unfinished works, then you know he is somewhat cryptic about the way he explains things, nothing is really given away to the reader/viewer. "Syrio did not run and Trant is still alive" is a horrible argument for Syrio being dead, they aren't mutually exclusive; most likely, if Syrio is alive, he knocked Trant unconscious like he did the with the others in the room. Also, with all the debate of whether he is dead or alive, you would think Martin would make it very clear that he was dead, he did write this episode and if he really wanted the character dead would have made it abundantly clear like many other internet arguments (Renly and Loras ARE/ARE NOT gay! lol) and not had a sword clank to the ground as Arya ran away. Martin is a tricky old dog, never assume ANYTHING is certain until it is, and even then it can still change. I don't know that Syrio is alive, he may just be a minor character that has no further use to Martin's story or he may come back, we won't know for sure unless he comes back. If he doesn't make a book return then there will always be those that say he survived and was not needed and then there will be those that think he died. Just my opinion... and we know what they say about opinions.

Syrio gets beaten by Trant , knocked unconscious ,taken to the black cells to be dealt with later , changes his appearance and identity into Jaquen H'ghar so that he is safe if the watch come to get him to be executed , is picked out to become a member of the NW , and you know the rest , that's my theory anyways and it's as valid as any other until we get official explanation from GRRM about the two of them .

I really liked Syrio - and not least for taking on the impossible fight as Arya escapes. If he fought bravely and knowing he could not win, just to gain Arya the chance to escape, that is so much better story than just beating a bunch of losers and morphing into some other character. I'd feel disappointed, for Syrio's and his character's sake if he did not die.

Martin would've outright said he was dead.
No he would not. There are plenty of stuff that did happen which he refuses to elucidate. To take a random example from AGOT: he always was evasive concerning the person being Bran's murder attempt, yet it doesn't make the presence of this assassin in Bran's chamber a coincidence.

Yeah, but it's silly to just assume Syrio is dead just because of what George said.
Considering we don't even need a GRRM quote to draw that conclusion, I would object to the idea it's "just because" he said anything that people are thinking that Syrio is dead.

Archived