Roy Dotrice Rerecording AFFC - Best News Ever?

KiDisaster

Not sure if this is the right section for this.

Just read the announcement on the site (http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/Entry/Roy_Dotrice_to_Record_A_Feast_for_Crows_Audio/) that Roy Dotrice has recorded the audio for A Feast For Crows and it'll be available this month.

Awesome news for me, since I love the audiobook series and have recently begun listening through it again (I just started Game of Thrones the other day) but I wasn't looking forward to AFFC. I can't stand John Lee's narration to be honest. That book took me longer to get through than any of the others.

I've always enjoyed Dotrice's narration however, so I'm pretty glad this is finally happening. What do you guys think? I know some people aren't fond of Dotrice's narration.

• 2 weeks later...

John Lee wasn´t that bad or anything but Dotrice is undoubtedly superior to almost all audiobook readers. Though he really needs to work on his Daenerys voice. I first read the books in the slow manual way since i tend to miss out on subtle things when listening to audiobooks. But the audiobooks turned out to be the superior experience without a doubt. There´s nothing better then listening to A song of ice and fire whilst exploring the world of Skyrim. Trust me it´s the most epic thing ever.

I have just started A Feast For Crows and I must say that I am a wee bit annoyed with his reading of it to be honest.

2 things that are very noticeable are:

1/ His pronunciation of Asshai has changed from Ash-ayie to Assay

2/ The voices he had given to characters throughout all the other audiobooks have changed. Very noticeable in some characters.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lee wasn't bad, he was just very different than Dotrice. I actually preferred Lee's version of the Dornish characters over Dotrice's version. I'd really like to see a collaborative effort done on the series when it is finished between Dotrice, Lee and Avers. Avers was best suited for the northern peoples, Dotrice was excellent with the midlanders and the people across the narrow sea, and Lee really nailed the Dornish. I know it's not going to happen but a guy can dream.

I liked John Lee's narration for the sole purpose that AFFC is a Darker book than the rest, and Lee's ominous, Baritone voice fit the tone of the book. I like Doltrice but his voices sometimes sound a bit too comical when they should be more serious.

and Darth Vader's right, the one knock on Doltrice is that he uses different voices for the same person in the same book!

I really don't like Roy Dotrice's narration. His voice is too coarse and rough.

I might be the only one who does not care for Dotrice. His voices are pretty bad, and they are actually a little inconsistent throughout the book.

You're not alone. I can't listen to Dotrice's narration, his voice is grating and coarse and I find it highly unpleasant to listen to. It just feels like someone is rubbing sandpaper on my eardrums. His tone and phrasing is weird too and his use of accents is not my cup of tea.

In audio books, I like smooth, clear, articulated voices. Lee's voice is much better but his accent is too modern-sounding.

Tony Jay, may he rest in peace, would've been perfect for these books.

• 11 months later...

Archived