Barack Obama II

Guest Raidne

In all honesty, I sure hope so. What less could you expect from any president?

You should familiarize yourself with the current mood and agenda of the Republican party, if you think a Republican President would have brought the end of Don't Ask Don't Tell, pushed through the Affordable Care Act, and implemented a scheduled withdrawal from Iraq.

ETA: Link to an earlier post of mine that already addressed this: link

This is admitedly coming from a limey's perspective, but just off the top of my head: massive stimulus spending, ACA, homosexuals openly serving in the military and troops out of Iraq. Would a Republican president really have done any of these?

Except the repeal of DADT, those are all GOP ideas and policies.

You should familiarize yourself with the current mood and agenda of the Republican party, if you think a Republican President would have brought the end of Don't Ask Don't Tell, pushed through the Affordable Care Act, and implemented a scheduled withdrawal from Iraq.

ETA: Link to an earlier post of mine that already addressed this: link

I don't think a Republican would do such things. That is why I'm puzzled whenever I remind myself that there are those who want to see one as President. I'm a bit surprised that the GOP even exists at this point in history, to be sure. It seems to have lost its way a decade ago at the very least.

Im starting to think that if Romney wins, revolution time! maybe on a global scale. Which is not good. I would def be part of the movement, but i dont want death and destruction and China emerging as the greatest power.

Side note- How will Obama treat the Occupy Congress today?

Except the repeal of DADT, those are all GOP ideas and policies.

Did you talk to FLoW about the ACA bit? He seems to think that it's not a GOP thing at all.

Also, I think you're wrong that the healthcare reform as we've seen so far would even be an agenda item. More likely, we'll get things that look like Medicare D reform that W. Bush pushed through. We'd have gotten more blahblahblah about insurance free market comeptition blahblahblah.

Far as withdrawal from Iraq goes, I'd say that given McCain's responses, it wouldn't have happened. Unless you think that McCain's comments were made to be anti-Obama and that in reality he would have done the same withdrawal schedule. Which, I'll have to say, is quite possible. But I think we got to go with what we have so far.

And, also, Ali-ficking-to.

I don't think a Republican would do such things. That is why I'm puzzled whenever I remind myself that there are those who want to see one as President. I'm a bit surprised that the GOP even exists at this point in history, to be sure. It seems to have lost its way a decade ago at the very least.

You do realize that the GOP have almost 1/2 the American people that chose a party with them right? I have allot of right leaning ideas, but I also have mixed in some left wing things to. If the GOP's Ideas didn't go along with about 1/2 of those people then they would change to get more people. Its not like we have one person telling us what to believe like some countries. You have few left wing crazies( which it looks like allot of them are on this board) and crazy right wing nuts. But most of us are in the middle. What scares me more is the left wing, that wants to have a government that is so big that it tells you what you can buy, how-to think and act. This really seems anti-American to me. I really am starting to think that we have two sides of the same party and that they both are just as corrupt.

You have few left wing crazies( which it looks like allot of them are on this board) and crazy right wing nuts. But most of us are in the middle.

No denying that the politics forum here leans left. But if you think the stuff posted here represents the fringe left, then you just need to broaden the range of political comments you read.

What scares me more is the left wing, that wants to have a government that is so big that it tells you what you can buy, how-to think and act. This really seems anti-American to me.

Oh please, like the term "anti-American" has any intrinsic meaning. It's just a short-hand for "I want people to not support my opponents so I will just call them names."

But honestly, if being against the GOP is anti-American, then sign me the fuck up.

You do realize that the GOP have almost 1/2 the American people that chose a party with them right?

Yes, I do. I would refuse to, but the evidence is much too overwhelming.

I have allot of right leaning ideas, but I also have mixed in some left wing things to.

Is it even a matter of left vs right, however? I don't think it is.

If the GOP's Ideas didn't go along with about 1/2 of those people then they would change to get more people. Its not like we have one person telling us what to believe like some countries. You have few left wing crazies( which it looks like allot of them are on this board) and crazy right wing nuts. But most of us are in the middle. What scares me more is the left wing, that wants to have a government that is so big that it tells you what you can buy, how-to think and act. This really seems anti-American to me. I really am starting to think that we have two sides of the same party and that they both are just as corrupt.

So GWB was left wing? And Ronald Reagan, too?

What scares me more is the left wing, that wants to have a government that is so big that it tells you what you can buy, how-to think and act. This really seems anti-American to me.

That's just right-wing propaganda. The left wants to encourage you to give up smoking, but won't force you to. The right wants to absolutely remove a woman's right to choose abortion, no matter what her own conscience tells her. Which of those is truly the one telling you how to think and act?

It isn't a sliding scale from left to right. There's a Y axis as well.

That's just right-wing propaganda. The left wants to encourage you to give up smoking, but won't force you to

Except in airplanes, bars, college campuses, public parks, public buildings, private parks, private buildings, etc, etc.

. You have few left wing crazies( which it looks like allot of them are on this board) and crazy right wing nuts. But most of us are in the middle. What scares me more is the left wing, that wants to have a government that is so big that it tells you what you can buy, how-to think and act. This really seems anti-American to me.

From an international perspective, even a British right-winger like myself cannot think of you for a moment as "in the middle".

Also, can you describe how the presumably far-left government of Britain tells you what to buy, how to think or how to act?

Yes, I do. I would refuse to, but the evidence is much too overwhelming.

Is it even a matter of left vs right, however? I don't think it is.

So GWB was left wing? And Ronald Reagan, too?

I think you would call GWB a Big government conservative, what you would call that a oxy moron I think. There is allot of stuff that I don't agree with on both sides. Just because someone says they lean right doesn’t mean the support GWB. All I was saying is neither party really follows my Ideas, I would say I was more of a Libertarian that a Republican. I think the government has went crazy with the way they tell us how to do every thing. Both parties not just one. Also when I say anti-American I mean anti-Freedom.

From an international perspective, even a British right-winger like myself cannot think of you for a moment as "in the middle".

Also, can you describe how the presumably far-left government of Britain tells you what to buy, how to think or how to act?

I am american so I base my views on that I can't really tell you how or even what Britain Left thinks or there Ideas are. .

OK, but as the American far-left you fear so much is only really talking about a more European approach, and you believe this approach involves "telling you what to buy, how to think or how to act", you must have some real life examples of what you want to avoid, right?

OK, but as the American far-left you fear so much is only really talking about a more European approach, and you believe this approach involves "telling you what to buy, how to think or how to act", you must have some real life examples of what you want to avoid, right?

I am in the middle in America. You cant take your world view, try to paste it on someone from America and say that they are not in the middle because the world view is not the American view.

There is not one think that the government doesn’t regulate. Just one point I can show you, the EPA said that Arizona had a "dust" problem and said they needed to water the desert down.

Being unable to smoke in certain public areas is a good thing for everyone else there. It's not remotely comparable to refusing women the right to have an abortion. So what point are you making Tormund?

That the statement that the "left" won't force you to not smoke is BS? That the entire idea that using the government to enforce their own personal brand of morality is not the exclusive domain of the right?

Archived