Reviewing the Game of Thrones Blu-ray

Westeros

I so far can't stand trying to watch a show while people comment on it.

I tried listening to the first commentary but turned it off when the first few things they spoke about was the mistakes they'd made... I honestly rather not know what has been blundered or else I'll notice it during each future viewing and it'll mess up immersion. As for hearing the actor commentaries... Meh, what do I care to hear them complementing each other's performances and their presumably underwhelming insights on the series.

I absolutely love the motion comic stuff and how they are all narrated in character. What breaks my heart is how Sean Bean is not involved. Maester Luwin is an awesome old chap but I don't want to hear Stark histories and perspectives coming from him.... I want Ned and his righteous views!

Picture quality is great, sounds great, interactive map is fun.

The integrated blu-ray menu I find distracting. I guess I just enjoy watching the show unsullied at this point, maybe if I watch them each a dozen times I'll be more open to playing with guides and listening to commentaries.

I so far can't stand trying to watch a show while people comment on it.

I tried listening to the first commentary but turned it off when the first few things they spoke about was the mistakes they'd made... I honestly rather not know what has been blundered or else I'll notice it during each future viewing and it'll mess up immersion. As for hearing the actor commentaries... Meh, what do I care to hear them complementing each other's performances and their presumably underwhelming insights on the series.

I absolutely love the motion comic stuff and how they are all narrated in character. What breaks my heart is how Sean Bean is not involved. Maester Luwin is an awesome old chap but I don't want to hear Stark histories and perspectives coming from him.... I want Ned and his righteous views!

Picture quality is great, sounds great, interactive map is fun.

The integrated blu-ray menu I find distracting. I guess I just enjoy watching the show unsullied at this point, maybe if I watch them each a dozen times I'll be more open to playing with guides and listening to commentaries.

But the commentaries are very funny especially for episode 2 and 6 ,I don't know why some people say the commentary for episode 2 it's not good because I think it's great imo . You should give them a try and maybe you would change your mind .

• 2 months later...
I agree with you, the first commentary was great, the second was pretty blah. The third commentary, which I haven't finished yet, has one of my favorite things in the whole set, which happens over the main titles btw. The kids are much better at giving commentary than the adults in the previous episode, though they also do a lot of 'oh that actor is great' they also talk about what they learn from working with different actors. Maisie in particular seems smart as a whip.

I fully agree! It's ironic that the commentary by the children was more informative and interesting than the one by Lena, Addy and Nikolaj. And Lena's constant swearing got tiresome.

Good audio commentaries can be very insightful, and I've listened to hundreds of audio-commentaries over the years. In many cases, audio commentaries by children tend to be superficial and boring. Not so with Maisie, Sophie and Isaac. Their commentary track is surprisingly informative and contains lots of interesting behind-the-scenes stuff. They also shed some light on how it was to work with the other actors. I don't really mind that they kept praising their fellow actors, it's common practice to do this on a commentary track and it's also a matter of being generous and showing some respect. Maisie has always struck me as an intelligent girl (she's only 15 years old!), and this commentary track only reinforce that impression. The commentaries by GRRM himself and the showrunners were also very interesting.

Another great feature on the Blu-Ray is the animated histories and lores of the Seven Kingdoms, narrated by several people from the cast (in character and from different POVs). The Blu-Rays have also been shamelessly praised for their superb, technical quality, but the praise is fully deserved (I've never seen so many positive technical reviews of a BD-release).

I haven't found any bloody dragon eggs yet, do I have to use the flippin in episode guide? that's the only thing I haven't explored.

A person named Linnmeister posted this explanation on IGN:

While the video is playing, open the features menu and scroll to the bottom. When the dragon egg becomes available another scroll down arrow will pop up. Scroll down and select the egg.

Disc 1: Sansa Stark- during the character bios in the feature menu

Viserys Targaryen- during the scene where they first meet Drogo

Disc 2: Syrio Forel- when he and Arya first meet

Sandro Clegane- during the joust when Petyr Baelish is telling Sansa how the Hound got his scars

Disc 4: Drogo- during the speech about invading Westeros

Disc 5: Arya- in the "Making of" featurette while Maisie is talking about the books being to adult to read

Archived