Lucky Page-break, or deliberate?

Dragonreaver

Not sure if this is just in the edition I have, or is a deliberate choice by the author (does it work like that?), but there's a fantastic bit of page-break related tension/shock/mini-cliffhanger on page 583 (near the end of the last Catelyn chapter in aCoK). Quoted below, starting mid-way through a block of dialogue from Jaime.

"What was the name of that bastard he fathered?"

Catelyn took a step backwards. "Brienne".

PAGE-BREAK

"No, that wasn't it", Jaime Lannister upended the flagon.

For a moment there, I was thinking "wait, WTF?! BRIENNE IS NED'S DAUGHTER?!". Turns out she was only summoning Brienne - waiting outside - to come into the room. Jaime was talking about Jon Snow after all.

Did anyone else's heart skip a beat at that point? Do you think it was a concious decision to have the page break there, or a happy coincidence? :P

No page break in my book. I picked it up on the second re-read. Didn't think Jaime thought Ned's bastard was a girl. In one of the following sentences he says that the name was Snow.

Interestingly in AGOT Jon and Jaime did not meet in Winterfell, if I recall correctly. They were given a scene though in Season 1, when Jon was with Mikken seeing Needle being forged.

• 4 months later...

Interestingly in AGOT Jon and Jaime did not meet in Winterfell, if I recall correctly. They were given a scene though in Season 1, when Jon was with Mikken seeing Needle being forged.

Yes, and Cercei says something in the small council meeting when Jon's election as Lord Commander comes up about how they tried to hide him at Winterfell during her visit (Jon), although she seems to contextualize it as having to do with him being a bastard.

Archived