A bag of fingerbones

Rhaegar The Chef

Yeah I think this is pretty obviously Melly-mel telling us she has Davos luck.

Whether she yoinked them before he left for Kings Landing or recovered them from the Blackwater I donno.

Either way it wouldn't have been too big a task for her.

In her POV she talks about how she has powders that have various powers.

I think one could assume she would have a "knockout" powder that would put Davos in a deep sleep so she could lift his sack. Maybe Devan would have stolen them for her but I doubt it, he seems to be a good sort of boy.

If she had to fetch the sack out of the Blackwater I bet she had some kind of spell that would show her where it was or some sort of deom that could swin down and get it for her.

• 4 weeks later...

IMO, the bag of bones and the glamour are meant for Stannis. Obviously, nothing is definite until we all can finish the series, however there were a few passages in aDwD, and the Theon chapter released by GRRM that lead me to this conclusion.

One thing about Davos, is he is lowborn which means he does not possess the characteristic features of a noble house (i.e., Stannis is recognizably a Baratheon even if it is noted that he is not the spitting image of Robert that Renly was. This is pointed out by Lord Manderly when discussing his plans for Davos regarding Rickon. When speaking in regards to the faux-Davos head mounted on a spike with an onion in his mouth, Lord Manderly states, "You have a common face, Lord Davos. ... The man had your coloring, a nose of the same shape, two ears that were not dissimilar, a long beard that could be trimmed and shaped like yours" (aDwD pg. 388).

WoW -

Having a common, unremarkable face would serve Stannis well if he is planning on faking his own death, as implied in the sample chapter from WoW. If Stannis' plan is to surrender himself as a turn cloak, it would play much better coming from a common man who may have been disillusioned with Stannis' campaign and wants to find himself on the winning side. This would give Stannis the opportunity to learn all he can of the situation inside the walls of Winterfell, and also carry out some sort of sabotage (this is speculation, obviously). However, with a battle hardened and tactical man inside the belly of the beast, Stannis may have a shot at defeating the Bolton/Frey forces.

This is the best theory I have come up with. It does fit, as the Iron Bank's representative arrives at Stannis' encampment just before the end of aDwD, and could easily be carrying the bones and ruby used by Mel. However, this obviously has some issues, as we are still unclear exactly how the glamour is achieved, and if Mel needs to be in the presence of the person being glamoured. IMO, it is something to think about.

• 4 weeks later...

I missed this the first time through as well, but I noticed it last night as I'm re-reading. Glad I found this thread, there are a lot of good ideas that helped me come up with what I think might be going on. I wont get too specific, I'll let Martin fill in the details. =)

I'm pretty sure Melisandre has Davos' fingerbones (whether she switched them or retrieved them doesn't really matter), or else why would she mention them? A dead man's boots and a lock of hair are relatively commonplace items compared to something as specific as a bag of fingerbones. She also has Davos' son, who is pretty devoted to her. I think she will glamour Devan to look like his father, then send him to his death to further her or Stannis' goals (again, whether this happens inadvertantly or on purpose doesn't really matter). This will make Davos hate Melisandre even more than he already does, putting a nice rift between him and Stannis. Also, Devan would be the best person available to Melisandre to impersonate Davos.

The best evidence to support this theory is the fact that its the worst thing you could possibly do to Davos, so its the most likely thing that sadistic jerk Martin will do! I love Davos, but that poor guy is born to lose. Even his knighthood/lordship is just there to highlight the fact that no matter how high he climbs things will never truly go his way. All Davos really wants is Stannis on the throne so he can go home to his family, but instead I think he's in for a lot of suffering before an untimely death.

Archived