Illyrio Mopatis (Spoilers)

Drowsey Dragon

What to make of this mystery man? It is clear he supports the Targs, but why?

He is a smart man to have aquired so much wealth, so does he know all along Dany is the one and not her brother? It is clear to everyone he meets that there is no chance this man could return to the Iron Throne. Mopatis must have known this as well, but how would he have known the Dragon Prince would be killed eventually leading to Danys accent?

Also his gift of Dragon Eggs at the wedding, any chance he knew she could have hatched these? These seem like priceless items to just give away and three at that, even for a wealthy man. Or was this just fate the eggs falling into her hands?

What to make of this mystery man? It is clear he supports the Targs, but why?

He is a smart man to have aquired so much wealth, so does he know all along Dany is the one and not her brother? It is clear to everyone he meets that there is no chance this man could return to the Iron Throne. Mopatis must have known this as well, but how would he have known the Dragon Prince would be killed eventually leading to Danys accent?

Also his gift of Dragon Eggs at the wedding, any chance he knew she could have hatched these? These seem like priceless items to just give away and three at that, even for a wealthy man. Or was this just fate the eggs falling into her hands?

You'll find out Illyrio's original plans for the Targaryens once you complete Dance. At the period of time GoT is taking place, Illyrio knows more than the reader is shown.

Hmm very interesting. I'm about 175 pages out from the end of AGOT....eagerly awaiting Clash.

I wish I could do one of those Matrix type things...just download the books to my brain in a second and know it all front to back.

I'm so impatient, I need to know what happens. Every day I'm tempted to look up spoilers haha. I won't though, I've already had some things spoiled for me by accident (Red Wedding being the big one). Darn internets.

I don't think he thought highly of Viserys at all, he always seemed to humor him. He did however appear in an Arya chapter talking about some shady plans, but I can't recall the details now. Maybe someone else knows. As far as spoilers, I'm trying as hard as I can to be spoiler free, and I don't think that appearance gives much insights at all.

I don't think he thought highly of Viserys at all, he always seemed to humor him. He did however appear in an Arya chapter talking about some shady plans, but I can't recall the details now. Maybe someone else knows. As far as spoilers, I'm trying as hard as I can to be spoiler free, and I don't think that appearance gives much insights at all.

It depends on what type of insights. Does it reveal major plot points with respect to characters we don't meet until later books? No. Does it let on that Varys is plotting with someone from across the narrow sea and that someone, Illyrio, is very involved with aiding the last of the Targaryens? Yes. It also tells us that there are more players in the game that know that Cersei's children are not Robert's.

It's one of those moments that you get more out of upon re-reading the series. :)

I'm so impatient, I need to know what happens. Every day I'm tempted to look up spoilers haha. I won't though, I've already had some things spoiled for me by accident (Red Wedding being the big one). Darn internets.

Indeed. I've been really disappointed by the amount (and variety, it is not just large ones, but small ones which are important nonetheless) of spoilers in the comment sections for the series two trailers on youtube. On pretty much every trailer there are people blabbing about this or that. I wonder why they bother. Does it make them feel important because they happen to have read two or three more books than other people? Very inconsiderate behaviour in my eyes.

Indeed. I've been really disappointed by the amount (and variety, it is not just large ones, but small ones which are important nonetheless) of spoilers in the comment sections for the series two trailers on youtube. On pretty much every trailer there are people blabbing about this or that. I wonder why they bother. Does it make them feel important because they happen to have read two or three more books than other people? Very inconsiderate behaviour in my eyes.

Are YouTube posters ever considerate?

• 3 months later...

Archived