Ned is gay.

Sarnius

Yes, it is implied in Connington's POV that he had more than friendly feelings for Rhaegar and it has, I believe, been confirmed by GRRM.

:o You know what my problem is? I take characters for granted. I was like "who the fuck is this Griff dude? I'll just skim his pages, I need to get to the interesting characters!" :lol: I'll be better on my reread, I promise!

I think he's serious, so I'm willing to hear this theory out.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind, OP :)

1. Where do you get your evidence from that Ned looked on Robert as more than a friend?

2. Why do you want him to be gay/bisexual?

3. Can you point out any hints that we might have missed, anything you picked up on before you came to this conclusion?

That's all I can think of for now :D

1. Well Ned was always modest and didn't show his attraction to someone at all, it's possible he did/said something in front of Robert/someone of his feelings years earlier that he became less open and less risky which explains his shyness with his sexual partners(At first), his modesty and that he wasn't so exually open.

2. Lol it just sort of came together in my mind one day, I don't mind if this isn't the case though.

3. Well, of course he probably doesn't want to have sex in Brothels because 1) Because of his honor and 2) Because he doesn't want to betray his feelings or sexual orientation or something like that.

This explains everything. He told Cersei all he knew in the hopes she'd run, getting her out of the picture so he could have Robert all to himself. Naughty, naughty Neddy.

In all seriousness, I sincerely doubt it. Oberyn was bi, and it was widely known. There'd be at least some reference I'm sure, and seeing as there isn't (besides that post about Stannis - it must be the clenched jaw, it's a Stark thing.) it's kind of a strange thing to wonder lol. It doesn't change his character, didn't affect anything to do with the story or character allegiances in the way Renly/Loras did, so not sure why you thought this.

1. Well Ned was always modest and didn't show his attraction to someone at all, it's possible he did/said something in front of Robert/someone of his feelings years earlier that he became less open and less risky which explains his shyness with his sexual partners(At first), his modesty and that he wasn't so exually open.

2. Lol it just sort of came together in my mind one day, I don't mind if this isn't the case though.

3. Well, of course he probably doesn't want to have sex in Brothels because 1) Because of his honor and 2) Because he doesn't want to betray his feelings or sexual orientation or something like that.

Okay that's fair, thanks for answering. For point 1, it must have been when Ned was very young, because in Meera's story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree, Ned is described as the 'quiet wolf', and I'm 90% sure this was at the tourney at Harrenhall, so he would have been, how old? Someone needs to help me out here, for I am rubbish at the timeline stuff :lol: Anyway, my point is that he would have been very young to notice his sexual preference, something that the majority of people don't realise until they're a bit older, I'd say. Oh and I also meant to say that he's always been quiet and shy, I thought.

I highly doubt it's the case, if I'm absolutely honest. I didn't pick up on anything, and seeing as we had his POV, I would have expected him to think "Ooh, Jaime might be the Kingslayer and fucking his sister, but my my, does he have a nice arse!", or something along those lines, don't you think? If you can find any examples (probably not that obvious, haha), I'd be happy to check them out. Your theory is a pretty harmless one though, seeing as I don't think it would change the story at all.

Right? :lol:

And I wondered why Stannis was among the most mentioned characters in AGot. It was Ned's fault :lmao:

Definitely only just noticed your name :lmao: How do you feel, knowing Ned was in love with you all this time? xD

Okay that's fair, thanks for answering. For point 1, it must have been when Ned was very young, because in Meera's story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree, Ned is described as the 'quiet wolf', and I'm 90% sure this was at the tourney at Harrenhall, so he would have been, how old? Someone needs to help me out here, for I am rubbish at the timeline stuff :lol: Anyway, my point is that he would have been very young to notice his sexual preference, something that the majority of people don't realise until they're a bit older, I'd say. Oh and I also meant to say that he's always been quiet and shy, I thought.

I highly doubt it's the case, if I'm absolutely honest. I didn't pick up on anything, and seeing as we had his POV, I would have expected him to think "Ooh, Jaime might be the Kingslayer and fucking his sister, but my my, does he have a nice arse!", or something along those lines, don't you think? If you can find any examples (probably not that obvious, haha), I'd be happy to check them out. Your theory is a pretty harmless one though, seeing as I don't think it would change the story at all.

Lol yeah I guess that's the point. Because of this happening, Ned realized that he had to put his duty, honour and what was right in front of his feelings.

Lol yeah I guess that's the point. Because of this happening, Ned realized that he had to put his duty, honour and what was right in front of his feelings.

Because of what happening, sorry? Him realising he fancied Robert? Well, that as may be, but I still think we would have had at least one errant thought slip into his POV, to give this away.

Because of what happening, sorry? Him realising he fancied Robert? Well, that as may be, but I still think we would have had at least one errant thought slip into his POV, to give this away.

Or maybe he was just attracted to him for some time, nothing else and that the 9 years of seperation dissolved that? Also if he learnt to put duty and honour and what was right in front of his feelings, that could change his way of thinking too.

I think he's serious, so I'm willing to hear this theory out.

I have a few questions, if you don't mind, OP :)

1. Where do you get your evidence from that Ned looked on Robert as more than a friend?

2. Why do you want him to be gay/bisexual?

3. Can you point out any hints that we might have missed, anything you picked up on before you came to this conclusion?

That's all I can think of for now :D

A guy can dream? :dunno:

how would it not be publicity stunt doing that and how is that anything against gays?

I don't think anyone is claiming it would not be a publicity stunt if GRRM called a press conference solely to announce that Ned is gay, I think what people are objecting to is calling Rowling a bad person for answering a fan's question about Dumbledore's love interests.

We get Ned's POV, and presumably we would get a sign of his attraction to Robert or other men in his POV if he were gay or bisexual, like we did with Connington's memories of Rhaegar. But we don't get any sign of this in Ned's POV.

Well, "muscled like a maiden's dream" is definitely not the way I'd describe even the most buff among my friends.

Archived