Vancouver fans?

Hi all,

I'm brand new here, and admittedly late to the whole ASOIAF party. I heared about HBO's series over Facebook, I thought it sounded interesting but hearing how much everyone loved the season finale was the final push for me, and I checked it out. Honestly, I've been totally swept in by the whole story. I'm still only on the first book but man I just can't put it down.

I know I'm getting to it a lot later than others, but I feel like I got to the party just in time, ya know. I love Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, even Harry Potter but I always felt like that wasn't my "thing". I don't know, I think what I'm saying is I want to be part of this community and fan base so bad! I just want to talk about it all the time and meet people who also have the biggest crush on Jon Snow in the series!

I'm from the UK, but I've been living in Canada for the past year. It's been really hard for me to make friends, I've been reading this forum for the last couple of days and I just thought I'd take a chance. I'd love to know if there were any fans in the Vancouver area. We had a Own The Throne thing here a couple of weeks a go, HBO put on a 10 hour marathon of the series in a theatre downtown, it was honestly one of the coolest days I've had.

Anyway, hope I didn't come across as a right weirdo, I'm not really.. I don't think =)

I can think of at least a couple of BwBers in Vancouver (BC) off the top of my head, though I'm not sure how often they pop into this forum.

I'm just down in Seattle at the moment, and I know there are a relative bunch of boarders down here, though I've been terrible about meeting up with anyone lately. Still, there are definitely a good few boarders within a couple of hours of you, at the very least!

Glad you're liking the books and the show, and good to have you around!

ETA: I'm thinking of going up to Vancouver one of these upcoming weekends, since I've never been before. If that happens, and you want to meet for coffee or something, I'm game. I'll see if we can rustle up some of the other posters as well, maybe!

• 3 weeks later...

Score!

Beer is also a good idea. All going well, I'll be driving up Friday and back on Monday, so I'll have all of Saturday and Sunday to see any good spots in the city, get lost, discover more of the great white green north, and just generally visit somewhere I've never been before and meet awesome people. And/or donkeys, either way.

Suggestions gratefully received, too, definitely.

I am not a donkey in real life, unfortunately.

On the plus side, I'd be happy to direct you to some of Vancouver's more interesting places for humans to go.

And maybe this thread will flush some of the other Vancouverites out of the bushes before you arrive?

Check out Granville Island, Robson and Stanley Park for sure!!!! Depends where you are going stay. Downtown is always hopping!!

I'm near Vancouver so....

But I love Seattle....have family down there. Just took kids to Great Wolf Lodge...so cool!!

Oh yeah, good point. Since I basically lived in a hotel property for a year, I have points to burn and rewards to redeem. I would love opinions on picking between these two:

Hotel 1 is on Robson Street and thus I assume is genuinely downtown Vancouver

Hotel 2 is listed as "metrotown", and is apparently actually in Burnaby? But they claim the Skytrain into downtown is convenient from there. (Is that true? Anybody use the Skytrain often?)

I will have a car with me, but I only plan on using it to get between Vancouver and Seattle. I don't really plan to drive around every day, unless it's to get to something amazing that is just not really feasible with public transport. What's Vancouver like to walk around? Parts to avoid, parts to definitely see?

nas, I really hope so. nightshadow - if we manage to get a group together, please join in, if you can and want to! I've sent a PM to Joanna N, as I think she's still in Vancouver, and obviously CaptainTurtles and... someone else from the Introductions thread recently are both around. Might be able to get a good little group going!

Edited because it turned out I was thinking of nightshadow's own intro post. :lol: I did find someone else saying they're in BC, but not where, so maybe they'll find the thread too.

Ok..if you are on Robson, basically you are downtown. Burnaby (like Bellevue/Kirland is to Seattle) is outside of Vancouver but the skytrain is a 20 min ride if that it runs from 7 in the morning to 1 in the morning. Probally stay away from Downtown eastside at night. Hopefully there are others out there....and I can met up with you somewhere..I'm probally about 1/2 to 1 hour outside of Vancouver.

Your hotel #1 is a waaay better option, Aoife. It is at the east end of Robson in the downtown core and is very well situated for walking about the city. Hotel #2 puts you in the 'burbs, essentially.

Also, I wouldn't worry about avoiding any parts of Vancouver. The DT East side is not a great place to be alone at night, maybe, but is fine if you are with people. During the day, you are safe anywhere.

Ok, here's my proposal:

We meet at Steamworks Brewing Company (375 Water Street) at 4pm on Saturday, May 26th. This will avoid the dinner rush. They have good beer that they brew on premises, or they make a pretty decent coffee if you prefer. There is food that is not too pricey for those who want to eat. It is steps away from the Waterfront Skytrain station. It is a big, open place. It is also at the edge of Gastown, in case Aoife wants to do some sightseeing before or after, or if anyone wants to go out drinking.

Eef--I can meet you at your hotel and walk down there with you if you like.

Let me know if this sounds like a plan y'all can get behind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived