Birthing Shadows (Spoilers)

The Nerdly Knight

After Renly's death we are left to wonder how a shadow might have killed him until we reach Davos' next chapter and the truth about Melisandre is revealed. I'm curious how those who have read through this feel about her literal birthing of the shadow assasins. I enjoy the magical aspect and almost succubus like dependency to spawn them but I am a bit thrown off my the literal births.

So how did everyone else enjoy this revelation and what did you think of it?

Honestly i didnt like it. If felt a total Deus Ex Machina at the moment. It was the first strong introduction of magic in the series and to do it like that it just felt wrong, but thats how i took it. Im ok with it now but... wait, no. Im still not ok with that.

It was repulsive as it should be. I gave birth to two children and I was disgusted by that scene. I could only think that she never gave birth to live children. It could be possible that she would abuse her womb that way if she had miscarried multiple times or given birth to stillborns and felt that her womb had betrayed her. Then, it could be possible that she did have a child that was either very cruel to her or died a horrible death. It seemed so gruesome to me to use one's body like that. Children are a blessing and to abuse one's womb to make monsters is perverse.

Children in that world are even more needed, not more precious. In the middle ages, half the children born didn't live to six. A third more died before adulthood. To keep up with those odds, women that had children needed to have seven or more so two or three could live to adulthood and have children of their own. A healthy womb is a valuable thing.

i think one thing to keep in mind is that for Melisandre her body is a temple to the God of Light so while repulsive to us, its an honor and gift to hold such power for her.

I still think the scene was bizarre but looking back I do appreciate that the shadows were brought into the world through sacrafice rather than chants & vials. Remember not only the toll it had on King Stannis but also as Redwueen pointed out, imagine the toll it had on Melisandres body.

• 2 months later...

I didn't mind it. It was surprising. But more importantly, I think it did a good job of conveying the power of Melisandre and the fact that the magic comes with a price, which is a re-occurring them in the world of Ice and Fire...magic is real and can be powerful, but there is a price. And, we know why she is called a Shadowbinder now.

Archived