What Role Will Edric Dayne Play?

Ser Adam Dayne

I don't think Edric is too young to be the Sword of the Morning. Rob was also very young when he became King in the North. The story is not finished yet, he may still do some heroic deeds that would make him deserve Dawn. I would love to read more about the Daynes.

He is too young. The Sword of the Morning is a title/office that only goes to knights of House Dayne. Edric is only a squire at the moment. Until he's knighted, he can't be the Sword of the Morning

He is too young. The Sword of the Morning is a title/office that only goes to knights of House Dayne. Edric is only a squire at the moment. Until he's knighted, he can't be the Sword of the Morning

Not necessarily. The office is held by a member of House Dayne deemed worthy of wielding Dawn. Edric Dayne is the Lord of Starfall so ultimately it's his call. I don't remember anything about being knighted, but if you have a citation then I stand corrected. My impression is that it is more of a tradition than a hard fast rule. How close Edric sticks to tradition, only Edric knows, but he seems like an honourable kid from what little we've seen of him.

At the end of the day the Sword of the Morning is only a title. If you can wield a sword then you can wield Dawn. Personally, I believe the office was created to keep the sword for the next Long Night. I think the Dayne words probably reflect this, hence they have been kept from us. So I think Edric Dayne is purely a device for getting the sword into Jon's hands when the time comes, if indeed J=AAR and D=LB.

You have to be a knight

Though many houses have their heirloom swords, they mostly pass the blades down from lord to lord. Some, such as the Corbrays have done, may lend the blade to a son or brother for his lifetime, only to have it return to the lord. But that is not the way of House Dayne. The wielder of Dawn is always given the title of Sword of the Morning, and only a knight of House Dayne who is deemed worthy can carry it.

So until Edric is knighted, he's ineligible to be the Sword of the Morning. Not a big problem as any knight could knight him, but as things stand he can't be the Sword of the Morning.

And this sounds like it's House Dayne, and not the Lord of Starfall who decides who the Sword of the Morning is

The same guy asked about the Daynes and the Sword of the Morning, asking how that title is decided. George said the Sword of the Morning is always a member of House Dayne, someone who is deemed worthy of wielding Dawn as decided within the House, that whoever it is would have to earn the right to wield it.

Edric is not to young to do important things-he is two years older than Arya and so should be 14, the same age Daenerys became mother of dragons or Robb called his banners, I think he will do something important-he and Darkstar are the only two members of House Dayne, the most mysterious house in the book, who we have met who are still alive.

You have to be a knight

So until Edric is knighted, he's ineligible to be the Sword of the Morning. Not a big problem as any knight could knight him, but as things stand he can't be the Sword of the Morning.

And this sounds like it's House Dayne, and not the Lord of Starfall who decides who the Sword of the Morning is

Yeah, thanks. Happy to stand corrected on the knight thing. Is that from SSM? Do you have a link?

Although as House Dayne is older than the institute of knighthood in Westeros then you'd have to wonder if that was always the case. If Dawn and the office of Sword of the Morning do stretch back to the Long Night, which granted is debatable, then the sword must have been held by plenty of Daynes who were not knights.

I disagree with your interpretation of the second part though. It is the Lord of Starfall who is the head of House Dayne, so if something is decided by House Dayne, then I take it that the final word is with the Lord. For example, if House Stark call their banners then it is the Lord of Winterfell who does the calling. I see few examples of democratic houses in Westeros. I think what is meant by that piece you quoted is that the decision does not lie with an external body like the crown or the citadel, it lies with House Dayne, and for me that means the Lord of Starfall.

Yeah, thanks. Happy to stand corrected on the knight thing. Is that from SSM? Do you have a link?

Although as House Dayne is older than the institute of knighthood in Westeros then you'd have to wonder if that was always the case. If Dawn and the office of Sword of the Morning do stretch back to the Long Night, which granted is debatable, then the sword must have been held by plenty of Daynes who were not knights.

I disagree with your interpretation of the second part though. It is the Lord of Starfall who is the head of House Dayne, so if something is decided by House Dayne, then I take it that the final word is with the Lord. For example, if House Stark call their banners then it is the Lord of Winterfell who does the calling. I see few examples of democratic houses in Westeros. I think what is meant by that piece you quoted is that the decision does not lie with an external body like the crown or the citadel, it lies with House Dayne, and for me that means the Lord of Starfall.

It's from the World Book on the "Sword of the Morning" section

• 3 months later...

I think even his nickname "Ned" implies that there is still a story to tell. I mean would you let people give you the nickname of a man who killed your uncle? There must be a story behind it. I think if the 5 year gap would have happend Edric would wield Dawn but as things are now is role will probably be to decide who is the one who is worthy enough. Maybe it will not be someone with special connections to house Dayne. Maybe the sword (if it is important to the Long Night 2.0) was kept by the family to give to the right person when the time comes. We don't know. Even if they never met Edric feels like he has a special connection with Jon, so it could fall to him to help Jon  fullfil his destiny.

Archived