What is Areo Hotah's story?

FuzzyJAM

Listening to interviews, GRRM repeatedly says that he doesn't create viewpoint characters simply as eyes. He doesn't have a chapter with "Guard #3" listening in on interesting things; every character must have a story. He mentions Oakheart as something of a weak and questionable PoV because he's only used once before dying, but that's it.

Well, what of the most obvious character to apparently break GRRM's rules? The genuine Guard #3? Areo Hotah seems to fit that description perfectly. He's not a badly drawn character or anything - OK, he's from overseas, he's "married to his axe", he follows his master obediently as he has been taught to, he's a good warrior; not the most interesting, but nothing bad - but he doesn't have any sort of progression arc as of yet or any clear set up for one. He killed someone important, but really he's been no more a part of the action than Guard #3 would have been.

Now, the simple fact is that he does work quite well as a pair of eyes and ears. Guard #3 really can be a simple way to get a PoV in lots of places. But if we assume that's not the (sole) reason for his existence, that GRRM stood true to his "I don't just make PoV characters to view the world" mantra, if we assume that Hotah has a story, then a simple question jumps out: what the hell is it? Could he have some larger part to play in later books? What will Areo Hotah's story revolve around and how has it been set up so far? I hesitate to post a topic where I have no answer to a question posed, but I honestly can't think of anything. Hopefully others can.

I don't know, but I wish he'd just die already. Areo is perhaps the only character who can make me wish I were reading about even the ironborn instead.

In fact, I'm fairly sure I'd managed to block out my memory of his existence, so thanks for reminding me of it by posting this thread.

I don't know, but I wish he'd just die already. Areo is perhaps the only character who can make me wish I were reading about even the ironborn instead.

In fact, I'm fairly sure I'd managed to block out my memory of his existence, so thanks for reminding me of it by posting this thread.

I've been saying that about Sansa Lannister for Five BOOKS NOW!

Pretending she doesn't exist won't stop you from creeping on her next book.

Oh, oh, oh, yeah.

Oh, oh, oh, yeah.

Oh, oh, oh, yeah.

Oh, oh, oh, yeah.

The twenty second of loneliness

And we've been through so many things.

I love my cat with all honesty,

But I know she's cheating on me.

Look her in the eyes,

But all she tells me is lies to keep me near.

I'll never leave her down though I might mess around.

It's only 'cause I need some affection, oh.

So I creep, yeah, just creepin' on,

On the down low, 'cept nobody is supposed to know.

So I creep yeah, 'cause he doesn't know what I do

And no attention goes to show oh.

So I creep.

The twenty third of loneliness

And we don't talk, like we used to do.

Now this is pretty strange,

But I'm not buggin' 'cause I still feel the same.

I Keep giving loving till the day she pushes me away.

Out the moondoor way.

If she knew the things I did, she couldn't handle it.

And I choose to keep her protected, Oh.

But I'll know. 'cept nobody is supposed to know.

So I creep, yeah, 'cause she doesn't know what I do,

And no attention goes to show oh.

So I creep, yeah, 'cause he doesn't know what I do,

And no attention goes to show.

So I creep, yeah, 'cause she doesn't know what I do,

And no attention goes to show.

That's some serious hate if you would rather read about the Ironborne. Pyke and Dorne are not my favorite places to travel.

That's some serious hate if you would rather read about the Ironborne. Pyke and Dorne are not my favorite places to travel.

No lie. It takes a lot to make me actually prefer to read about a people I wish would just disappear.

No lie. It takes a lot to make me actually prefer to read about a people I wish would just disappear.

Kind of like reading a post from Lord Littlefinger's Lash :lmao:

I agree with the OP. Areo definitely will have a bigger role in the next book. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say he will end up in Aegon's Kingsguard for his loyalty to the Martell's when Aegon marries Arianne.

Also, the

reference in this thread was great.

I agree with the OP. Areo definitely will have a bigger role in the next book. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say he will end up in Aegon's Kingsguard for his loyalty to the Martell's when Aegon marries Arianne. Also, the
yeah son, you know how we do

I agree with the OP. Areo definitely will have a bigger role in the next book. If I had to take a wild guess, I'd say he will end up in Aegon's Kingsguard for his loyalty to the Martell's when Aegon marries Arianne.

Also, the

If that happens, when Aegon starts wigging out under the pressure/Dany proving he's a fake and starts attacking Arianne, Areo will get his murder on.

I'm not certain who he murders there though, or whether he survives.

[/crackpot theory]

Now that we have 20 POVs, I have a feeling we might not hear from some of them again. Either Areo going to have some big deal shit coming up, he's going to die, or he's just going to fade out of the picture. Honest to God, besides this Kingsguard talk, I have no idea what's going to happen with Areo. I don't hate him, though.

Archived