What is Areo Hotah's story?

FuzzyJAM

I've been saying that about Sansa Lannister for Five BOOKS NOW!

I agree, it is miserable reading about a little girl whose greatest accomplishment is building a bad snow model of Winterfell. She can't think for herself and I found myself pulling for Joffrey to beat her, then for Tyrion to get it in, then for LF to push her out the moon door.

I thought Victarion was a badass, although could have done without Damphair.

I agree, it is miserable reading about a little girl whose greatest accomplishment is building a bad snow model of Winterfell. She can't think for herself and I found myself pulling for Joffrey to beat her, then for Tyrion to get it in, then for LF to push her out the moon door.

:shocked:

So, just to make certain we are clear, you were rooting for a young girl to be physically abused, raped, and murdered? I have no idea what to even say to that.......

And I'm good with Guard#3. George needed a POV and didn't want to give it to Doran, so he created Areo, who is in my top ten list of most boring characters in the series.

And I'm good with Guard#3. George needed a POV and didn't want to give it to Doran, so he created Areo, who is in my top ten list of most boring characters in the series.

But he didn't need to. He could have skipped both Guard #3 and Ser Arys as POV characters, rolled it all into Arianne, and come away with a better, tighter storyline. The same goes for Damphair - you lose nothing by skipping that entire POV, and can probably cut out most of Victarion's, too. As much as I like most of FFC, it's still horribly bloated and in need of an editor.

But he didn't need to. He could have skipped both Guard #3 and Ser Arys as POV characters, rolled it all into Arianne, and come away with a better, tighter storyline. The same goes for Damphair - you lose nothing by skipping that entire POV, and can probably cut out most of Victarion's, too. As much as I like most of FFC, it's still horribly bloated and in need of an editor.

Damphair makes my top ten list as well. I agree that it could have used a good editor. The kingsmoot could have been told through Asha's POV just fine. I don't have a good reason other than he didn't want to use either character as a POV. Areo has added nothing to the story as a character that I can tell.

No he's gay and he loves Doran, go reread how he describes Doran and how deeply he cares for Doran.

Well he was a slave trained from age 6 or something to obey and serve and stroke his axe so you'd expect his thought processes to be a little messed up.

But I will watch out for any hints of homosexual love towards his "master" when I get to his chapters again. It's already apparently there with "JonCon", it would seem strange to do the same again but you never know. But still, that's not a story even if it's true - it could be setting up for one, however; some dilemma between his loyalty and love or whatever. Eh.

Ya i kinda think that the Kingsguard when everything is said and done will have Areo and several majorish charcter as it returns to its former glory

Please god no.

I'll be seeing this outcome in my nightmares now.

So, just to make certain we are clear, you were rooting for a young girl to be physically abused, raped, and murdered? I have no idea what to even say to that.......

I've been wondering about the moral character of some of the posters here for a while now, especially with the people defending Tywin in that other thread. I honestly think we have some people here who'd have been in no position whatsoever to pass judgment at Nuremberg.

Scary. Though you have to realize people like that do exist, and some of them must read and own or have access to computers. Still, it's pretty chilling.

Please god no.

I'll be seeing this outcome in my nightmares now.

I've been wondering about the moral character of some of the posters here for a while now, especially with the people defending Tywin in that other thread. I honestly think we have some people here who'd have been in no position whatsoever to pass judgment at Nuremberg.

Scary. Though you have to realize people like that do exist, and some of them must read and own or have access to computers. Still, it's pretty chilling.

I agree, I see quite a bit here that surprises me.

Well he was a slave trained from age 6 or something to obey and serve and stroke his axe so you'd expect his thought processes to be a little messed up.

But I will watch out for any hints of homosexual love towards his "master" when I get to his chapters again. It's already apparently there with "JonCon", it would seem strange to do the same again but you never know. But still, that's not a story even if it's true - it could be setting up for one, however; some dilemma between his loyalty and love or whatever. Eh.

What do you mean the same thing? You mean how Tyrion and Shae are just like Jon and Ygritte cause you know, they're uh ...hetero sexual. Anyway, Areo Hotah was in the series first.

What do you mean the same thing? You mean how Tyrion and Shae are just like Jon and Ygritte cause you know, they're uh ...hetero sexual. Anyway, Areo Hotah was in the series first.

It's not primarily that it's a homosexual love, though that's part of it - obviously homosexual love is less common than heterosexual love in almost all human cultures, with Westeros not being an exception. It's more that it's love for your "master" which you endure apparently without saying a word in a PoV character. That would two PoV characters with a similar situation out of. . .like. . .25? That's a pretty high coincidence, I'd say, especially considering almost none of the PoV characters really have the potential for the "master love" in the first place as they primarily consist of the masters themselves.

Actually, wait, GRRM does this with Jorah too. Hm. Maybe it's a recurring theme or something, even though he's not a PoV.

As I sloughed through umpteen different variations of such deep, eloquent, well-though-out observations as "he's gay, he's not badass enough, he's boring, he needs to die," I was thinking that this just may be the most disheartening thread I've ever read here on this forum Then I read this:

... and realized that it is definitely the most disheartening thread I've read here.

As I sloughed through umpteen different variations of such deep, eloquent, well-though-out observations as "he's gay, he's not badass enough, he's boring, he needs to die," I was thinking that this just may be the most disheartening thread I've ever read here on this forum Then I read this:

... and realized that it is definitely the most disheartening thread I've read here.

Nah, Sansa is a little piece of shit.

It's not primarily that it's a homosexual love, though that's part of it - obviously homosexual love is less common than heterosexual love in almost all human cultures, with Westeros not being an exception. It's more that it's love for your "master" which you endure apparently without saying a word in a PoV character. That would two PoV characters with a similar situation out of. . .like. . .25? That's a pretty high coincidence, I'd say, especially considering almost none of the PoV characters really have the potential for the "master love" in the first place as they primarily consist of the masters themselves.

Actually, wait, GRRM does this with Jorah too. Hm. Maybe it's a recurring theme or something, even though he's not a PoV.

well not really. all together they have what 5?..maybe... 7 PoV chapters? Nor is Jon Cunnington's story about his unrequited love for Rhaegar. Aereo Hotah basically only thinks about Doran and how to care for him. Any time someone asks him about anything else he says its not his place.

it happens all the time. Lancel and Cersei, Tris and Asha, Sandor and Sansa

Areo may be getting tangled up with Darkstar. He'll almost certainly be a big part of whatever Dorne's role is in the upcoming books. It's really hard to say at this point though.

I must say though, a lot of people complain about a lot of characters and story arcs in this series. If you're one of those people, why do you even read it then? If I don't like something, I just stay away from it.

And it is pretty despicable hoping for Sansa to get beaten, raped, and murdered, whatever your reasoning is.

it happens all the time. Lancel and Cersei, Tris and Asha, Sandor and Sansa

I can kind of see the similarities, but there are striking differences, not least the fact that for the most part it doesn't fit the "unstated, unrequited" side of things. Sandor/Sansa would maybe come the closest, but who is the one in power there in a master/servant relationship? Does Sandor really "love" her? And is it really hidden?

Either way, that's not the central "story" of Cersei, Asha or Sansa, which is the ultimate thing I'm wondering about. I can see how Guard #3's love for his master might create a story, but I'm curious what it might be.

I must say though, a lot of people complain about a lot of characters and story arcs in this series. If you're one of those people, why do you even read it then? If I don't like something, I just stay away from it.

I have no problems with lots of characters. I'm just curious as to what Guard #3's story is, like I said. Considering nobody has any real idea, I'd say it's interesting, because he's unique in that way and seems to be going against GRRM's stated ideas for PoV characters. It's just something interesting to talk about as far as I'm concerned.

I mean, I do have some criticisms about the series, but I don't know how anyone can read thousands of pages of books and find it utterly flawless in every respect anyway.

Archived