Ser Duncan the Tall

Ser Tom Tarly

yep, i try to elaborate in a understandable way (as usual, my english is usually bad and intricate, try to follow :P)

if i remember well (if i'm wrong all the speech is pointless, so tell me :)) Old Nan came to Winterfell as a girl to nurse a child Brandon Stark. we have no clue about who he was, but he surely never became Lord of Winterfell, so he could only be a brother-cousin of a firstborn Stark. not a heir, i mean. btw, coming back to the nurse stuff.

i suppose that nurse (when you speak about 'to nurse a child') is the translation of the italian "allattare". i mean..to give your 'milk' to the baby, not simply to raise him. is this correct?

well, the image in Bran's Vision is set in Dunk's time, more precisely after the 212 (second Blackfyre Rebellion) . i'd say IMMEDIATELY after, because before the event of TMK they're heading to the North to take service under lord Beron Stark (who i think died before they arrive in Winterfell, fighting the ironborn..but that just a supposition due to Martin words about the situation of Winterfell and its 'She-wolves')

BTW, let's assume that Dunk&Egg have a veeeeery slow travel, and arrive in WF one-one and half year later the events of TMK. so we are in 214.

84 years before the beginning of ASOIAF. so, to be Old Nan that girl, i have to believe that:

°at the beginning of the series (in 298 after Aegon), Old Nan is 100 years old (at LEAST. 'cause there's no way Martin will show us a Dunk in love with a 12-13 years old girl). i'm sorry, i know she's old, but no way she is THAT old.

°if she's younger - let's say 95, 96 or 97 (i don't believe it, but let's say i can accept that as an assumption) it means she's 11,12, 13 years old that time. and not only she's mature enough to be a Dunk love interest, but what's more important, she has already had children, 'cause now she is a nurse.

i may have said stupid things, so correct me. but seriously, how can she possibly be that girl?

P.S. there are also other, more weaks and more 'literary' reasons that make me sure about Hodor NOT being a Dunk grand-grand-nephew. Martin says "a knight tall like Hodor", and immediatly people think "wow, you see, he say that Dunk is tall like Hodor, surely it means they're related". but i dare to say that with Martin, contrariwise, this is a hint that they AREN't :)

a decent amount of time passes in between the stories, she-wolves could take place 5 years down the line for all we know...i would kind of assume that this story would end with the Tragedy at Summerhall, or at least the events leading up to it, making Egg a grown man so who knows how time will progress through the stories or how many there will even be....but yeah Brienne's a dead ringer,she basically is dunk(her story i mean) hodor seems kind of obvious but with GRRM sometimes the predictable thing feels so unlikely that it's a surprise when it actually happens...Sandor and Gregor would be a cool ironic twist,Sandor seems to be disenchanted by the whole Knight thing because he's seen so many shithead loser knights in his day, he's kind of like an anti-dunk, the reason he hates Knights is because they have no honor...i dunno either way it's pretty cool, Dunk's awesome and i hope he has 4 descendants in the stories

a decent amount of time passes in between the stories, she-wolves could take place 5 years down the line for all we know...i would kind of assume that this story would end with the Tragedy at Summerhall, or at least the events leading up to it, making Egg a grown man so who knows how time will progress through the stories or how many there will even be....but yeah Brienne's a dead ringer,she basically is dunk(her story i mean) hodor seems kind of obvious but with GRRM sometimes the predictable thing feels so unlikely that it's a surprise when it actually happens...Sandor and Gregor would be a cool ironic twist,Sandor seems to be disenchanted by the whole Knight thing because he's seen so many shithead loser knights in his day, he's kind of like an anti-dunk, the reason he hates Knights is because they have no honor...i dunno either way it's pretty cool, Dunk's awesome and i hope he has 4 descendants in the stories

Summerhall is about 45 years after the events in The Mystery Knight. I doubt the Dunk and Egg series does anything more than maybe introduce how Egg gets the prophecy that eventually leads to Summerhall.

Summerhall is about 45 years after the events in The Mystery Knight. I doubt the Dunk and Egg series does anything more than maybe introduce how Egg gets the prophecy that eventually leads to Summerhall.

True, but i've heard rumors (thought i read somewhere that GRRM said it, but can't remember where) that he planned to do at least 8 of the D&E stories...who knows, just can't wait until the next ASOIAF thing whatever it'll be (the princess and the queen, i guess)

• 2 months later...

I'd assume the D and E's would eventually set up both characters as they are at the beginning of the White Book. Egg has been nominated as King, and Dunk is the new head of the Kingsguard, and we'd be left with the White Book to let us know how everything eventually played out. I don't think we'll ever be given a POV to the tragedy at Summerhall, it'd destroy the beatiful mystery to have us read exactly what played out.

We know what happened: Egg tried to use magic to hatch an egg, and it destroyed him and his whole family. I mean...unless it was something else entirely, which would be pretty tight.

If we get a detailed account, it may occur in the regular ASOIAF, it'd be cool if we were always lead to believe it was a hatching attempt, and it turns out it was something else entirely. With George, it most likely was NOT a hatching attempt. Egg in the stories so far seems pretty convinced that the dragons are gone, at least to my recollection.

I'd assume the D and E's would eventually set up both characters as they are at the beginning of the White Book. Egg has been nominated as King, and Dunk is the new head of the Kingsguard, and we'd be left with the White Book to let us know how everything eventually played out. I don't think we'll ever be given a POV to the tragedy at Summerhall, it'd destroy the beatiful mystery to have us read exactly what played out.

We know what happened: Egg tried to use magic to hatch an egg, and it destroyed him and his whole family. I mean...unless it was something else entirely, which would be pretty tight.

If we get a detailed account, it may occur in the regular ASOIAF, it'd be cool if we were always lead to believe it was a hatching attempt, and it turns out it was something else entirely. With George, it most likely was NOT a hatching attempt. Egg in the stories so far seems pretty convinced that the dragons are gone, at least to my recollection.

The intrigue is how the fuck did attempting to hatch a dragon burn down an entire large area and kill so many people, and how did such a seemingly clever kid get convinced that he could hatch a dragon?

The intrigue is how the fuck did attempting to hatch a dragon burn down an entire large area and kill so many people, and how did such a seemingly clever kid get convinced that he could hatch a dragon?

Those were my thoughts. He's not exactly the irresponsible type so far. I think maybe he just had a few eggs and the rest are yet to be found, or else they could be hidden on dragonstone.

Archived