[Book & TV Spoilers] Insightful interview with writer Bryan Cogman

Arya The Assassin

And by the way, Joff is acting erratic as well. In the beginning of season 2 it appears as if they are setting things up for a power struggle between Joffrey and Cersei. The whole 'You won't do that again, ever' incident. Instead, Joff suddenly seems to be his book self without any explanation. Especially in 'Blackwater', but also in the episode before. Nothing but this stupid child you can very much ignore as long as you don't mess with his sadistic excesses. That's not that consistent either.

Isn't it? I thought his response to Cersei striking him was very much a "stupid spoilt child" response. He tried the same with Tyrion but he laughed effectively. Cersei was probably as shocked at hitting Joffrey as his response to it.

While I am willing to accept that Cersei is different compared to the books, i'm not sure that Cersei is erratic in the TV show. She plots in S1 but finds ruling a lot more difficult in S2 and turns to alcohol.

The reason why people are seeing Cersei as a "different character" to the books is because we're getting a lot more of her side of the story sort of speak. E.g. her reason why she hates Robert so much is only mention once in the books when Ned finds out the truth about her in Jamie. In the TV series however we get that fantastic scene with Robert and Cersei discussing how s*** there marriage is. She's still a b****, but why she is one is explored more in the TV series rather than the book.

Archived