Are the Iron Islands, as well as others, safe?

This question pretty much relates to the others. We know they come from the Land of Always Winter, which is connected to Westeros, but could the others, if they breached the wall, ever get to the Iron Islands or across the narrow sea to Essos? In fact, could it ever be cold enough in Dorne for the Others to reach there?

Any thoughts, are the others smart enough to cross the sea?

Just a few thoughts here.

1) we don't know enough about the others yet and their capabilities. It is always a possibility that they could freeze water to get to the places you listed. How likely, idk.

2) It was mentioned in ASOS I believe that the Others bring the cold, or at least it seems like they did. I'm sure if this was the case no hot climates like Dorne would be safe.

2) It was mentioned in ASOS I believe that the Others bring the cold, or at least it seems like they did. I'm sure if this was the case no hot climates like Dorne would be safe.

I thought it was mentioned that nobody was sure whether they come because of the cold, or the cold comes because of them... Or maybe I just missed something and read wrong.

That's what I'm referring to. Like We both know, they really aren't sure, but I find it more than just a coincidence. It is ALWAYS really cold up at the Wall, I doubt the others would only come when it's just a bit colder than normal. There's no denying they have a supernatural element about them either.

But that's my opinion. I'm sure others will disagree with me.

Sam says to Jon in Feast that either the Others bring the cold, or the cold brings the others. We don't know a lot about them, but I imagine they'd be a major threat to everyone in Westeros.

Also, don't forget that Melisandre is from Asshai, and she was the one that convinced Stannis Baratheon that he is Azor Ahai reborn. Obviously the Others have had influences on culture and religion in places across the Narrow Sea, so I would imagine that they'd be a threat for everyone. It's a shame that no one is paying attention to what's going on on the Wall.

I imagine everyone is going to be made aware of what's happening at the wall sooner rather than later.

I also think it is something where the Others and the Long Night affect the entire world, and they just emerge from beyond the Wall.

• 3 weeks later...

Sam says to Jon in Feast that either the Others bring the cold, or the cold brings the others. We don't know a lot about them, but I imagine they'd be a major threat to everyone in Westeros.

Also, don't forget that Melisandre is from Asshai, and she was the one that convinced Stannis Baratheon that he is Azor Ahai reborn. Obviously the Others have had influences on culture and religion in places across the Narrow Sea, so I would imagine that they'd be a threat for everyone. It's a shame that no one is paying attention to what's going on on the Wall.

if i remember correctly all melisandre knew was that theres some evil force looming and someone is supposed to be reborn as AA. im pretty sure its only when she hears about the letter from the wall that she thinks thats the great other.

If I am not wrong I remeber them referring to the coming winter that it was going to be a long hard one, something about a long summer, followed by a long winter. So I would imagine if its cold long enough even places like Pyke would not be safe because the water around the islands would freeze, Im pretty sure the snow and cold will reach them because they are father north then Kings Landing.

Minor Spoiler!!!!

We know through Jamies POV when he left KL that farmers were out in the fields trying to get in a last harvest before winter. So that tells us winters reach is pretty far. I think Dorne would be the only ones safe from the cold, because of the way their buildings are described. The seem to be built for a climate that never gets cold.

• 2 weeks later...

I interpret your question as, "Are the Others confined to Westeros?" If they have boats or can turn water to ice it kind of makes you wonder how effective the wall really is. Could they go over open water? How cold does it really get?

I've read that GRR Martin doesn't provide maps of all the places that are mentioned in the book so that the reader will have the understanding of what it is like to be in medieval times when the knowledge of the wider world was very limited. I wonder if in that same way the Others really only effect Westeros, but since that is all most people know it seems a threat to the known world.

Archived