Do you think Aegon will get the seven on side and declare Dany some sort of "demon queen"?

total1402

Yeah, she mentions believing that her dragons were a gift from the Seven at one point.

The main reason I think it will happen is because Dany does have a sense of her having this destiny and special purpose. The AA prophecy would provide a convenient explanation for this and if Dany sees the power they can wield it would be very hard to deny some credibility to them. For instance bringing people back from the dead. Shes also already committed an act of human sacrifice for blood magic so this establishes that shes not entirely opposed to the notion. Granted she could try to meld the AA and TPTWP prophecies and do a Vic by trying to accomodate both beliefs. In fact I fully believe that the red worshippers massacring the other faiths in Danys name in Volantis and elsewhere (this is hinted as having happened in Norvos) would be enough to make the Faith denounce Daenerys. It would be easy to imagine after Benerro told the mob that Dany would destroy Volantis unless they served her and then after Dany wins the battle of fire and is coming for them its easy to see that spiralling into violence.

Plus, it would make an even better contrast with Stannis who claims he is the true King of Westeros and AA. If you had Dany say she is the true Queen and AA it would make an interesting confrontation.

One thing that has me baffled though. Martin made a point of introducing Thoros n Melisandres cults in earlier novels. This hinted at a rising influence of the red gods worship in Westeros. Now that everyone in Essos thinks Dany is THE GIRL, you would expect these converts to become more relevent. However, as the wiki points out, Melisandre and Thoros influence over their congregations has waned so that less people are converted and more are losing faith. The death of Beric and the defeat at the Blackwater seems to have broken them.

Incidently, I noticed the TV show has avoided mentioning the "wake dragons from stone" part of the prophecies. That would be the most obvious hint they could do that Dany is AA. Aside from the comet I don't think they've made it clear (rightly so) that Dany could be AA. Although I think they've shown more than enough to give some credibility to that faith having power and cast some doubt over Stannis credibility. I will be very curious to see the conversation between Mel and Thoros because I expect the issue of AA and why he doesn't serve Stannis to come up. Maybe he sees somebody else in the fires when he looks for AA, either Jon or Dany? Seeing a magic scene where he does this once Mel leaves would be quite good.

If Tommen dies somehow or otherwise gets removed from the Throne (and we already got told that there will be a few people sitting on the Iron Throne before all is over), my guess is that the Faith will push for Lancel Lannister: He would be closely enough related to Tommen to have legitimacy and as a member of the Warriors Sons would undoubtly be the High Septons´ favorite. He is fanatic enough to make a push for a theocracy.

Of course basically everyone else would oppose this, but with the Faith Militant the church now has the (fast growing) army to risk such a power-grab; the way he acted towards the queen-regent is certainly an indication.

If Tommen dies somehow or otherwise gets removed from the Throne (and we already got told that there will be a few people sitting on the Iron Throne before all is over), my guess is that the Faith will push for Lancel Lannister: He would be closely enough related to Tommen to have legitimacy and as a member of the Warriors Sons would undoubtly be the High Septons´ favorite. He is fanatic enough to make a push for a theocracy.

Of course basically everyone else would oppose this, but with the Faith Militant the church now has the (fast growing) army to risk such a power-grab; the way he acted towards the queen-regent is certainly an indication.

The problem is Lancel has zero claim to the thrown. Tommen is considered a Baratheon not a Lannister that's why he is King. Beyond Tommen and Myercella they have no claim to the throne that's why Stannis' claims of them being bastards of incest are so damaging if proven true. Because that would mean A] They would have zero claim and Stannis would be the actual king and B] they lied to the rest of the kingdom for this ruse. The house couldn't survive a scandal like that. Not after murdering so many high lords and throwing the nation into civil war so close to winter.

Notwithstanding all the training Aegon has, I don't think he'll be crafty enough to think of doing this. It would probably take a schemer at the level of Varys or Olena/Margeary (the latter assuming he marries into the Tyrrell family) with the aid of the High Sparrow to see this possibility and rally the people around the Seven against a follower of a demon god to legitimize their rule.

Why does everybody assume that Aegon plans on fighting Danerys? In the book it says he doesn't want to come to Danerys like a beggar and that is why he goes to Westeros; so he can first meet her on equal footing. It doesn't say as a foe on equal footing. I took it to mean he still plans on joining forces with her, but more as an equal, rather than the little beggar nephew. Essentially, he wants to be sure and bring something significant to their eventual alliance.

There are a huge number of reasons why a fight would start. They6 include Dany being excluded because Aegon doesn't like her and he may decide to marry Arriane instead. Varys hates magic and Dany has used fire magic much less if she is associated with the Fire Pirests. Dany will probs get an undeserved reputation, especially if Voolantis slaves butcher people of other faiths in Danys name. The books seem to be building the idea that people are convinced that Dany is the mad queens daughter. Bascilly a fight is being set up and they will fight; even if Dany doesn't question his legitimacy.

I don't think Aegon will declare her a demon queen or some such, but I do think that the whole of Westeros will turn against her. I find it likely Aegon will be seduced by Arianne and wed her, then when he attempts to have Dany as his second wife she'll prefer the dominant role with two husbands (and will likely already have one...not the current one). That, on top of news passing along of her mockery over Quentyn and his death at by the flames of her dragons, will set her Westeros allies staunchly against her. As to the faith, I'd say they'd be more likely to side with Aegon considering his teachings while Dany is pretty well entirely foreign.

Archived