Possible time jump in TWOW/ADOS?

The Snowman

it seems to me that with the onset of winter, a great deal of time could pass within chapters. it would conceivably take much longer to travel when there are multiple feet of snow on the ground and/or perhaps characters will be "snowed in' for weeks/months at a time and not capable of doing much

Maybe he thought flashbacks were a great idea in his head until he started to actually write them. I find it hard to believe the major plots aren't already decided, because there's foreshadowing all over the books (Jon's parentage, the others, dany/the dragons, where the starks/lannisters/etc all end up). He isn't a master genius that can have a 7000+ page story all written down in his head in advance, that's being too harsh on him. The first book came out 16 years ago, to have it be as internally consistent as it is is a triumph of writing I think.

I'm not really being very critical of him although I do wish he bothered to outline before he wrote, which, in my mind, would allow him to write much faster than he does now.

As for how much he had planned out, well, as the story goes, he was planning on writing the whole series from the POVs he introduced in A Game of Thrones only. It follows, then, that Davos, Theon, Jaime, Cersei, Sam, Victarion, Asha, Brienne, Areo, Aeron, Arys, Quentyn, Connington, Barristan and Melisandre were all tacked on later.

Now think of the story without all those POVs.

See what I mean? I think at least half the series has been thought up in the writing process, long after he started writing the first book.

It'll get easier if chapters would last for months.

I'm not really being very critical of him although I do wish he bothered to outline before he wrote, which, in my mind, would allow him to write much faster than he does now.

As for how much he had planned out, well, as the story goes, he was planning on writing the whole series from the POVs he introduced in A Game of Thrones only. It follows, then, that Davos, Theon, Jaime, Cersei, Sam, Victarion, Asha, Brienne, Areo, Aeron, Arys, Quentyn, Connington, Barristan and Melisandre were all tacked on later.

See what I mean? I think at least half the series has been thought up in the writing process, long after he started writing the first book.

I am still of the mind the a time jump is needed just to simply age a couple of character even another year. If some of the chapter or a sequence of chapters (3-4) moved through a few months then the story would be able to get out of the eternal slow motion of what Dance was until right at the end. If Jon is actually really hurt and needs time to heal then this could help his arc as well.

a time jump between wow and ados is potentially possible, it would seem pretty weird to me to jump time in a book. in response to a post on the first page saying that grrm said we will only see ashai in flashbacks and that that meant dany would go to ashai and come out at the iron isles/westerlands. What grrm said was that no one is going to go farther east then they already have, which means Qarth. You mentioned the possibility of a Euron flashback, but you forgot Melissandre, who actually has a pov

Sometimes I wonder if GRRM has Robert Jordanned(died). The book should have been picked up by some author, and Dreams of Spring manuscripts should be on the hands of the editor by now. And we probably have a release date mark on our calendars. Its more like Dreams of the release date of Dreams of Spring right now.

Sometimes I wonder if GRRM has Robert Jordanned(died). The book should have been picked up by some author, and Dreams of Spring manuscripts should be on the hands of the editor by now. And we probably have a release date mark on our calendars. Its more like Dreams of the release date of Dreams of Spring right now.

GRRM has repeatedly stated that this won't happen, the publisher doesn't have the legal right to hire another author for the series. So it won't happen unless Parris blatantly disrespects his wishes after his death and grants the publisher the right to do so. Harriet, Jordan's wife, had control since she inherited the intellectual property of the Wheel of Time, and she was the person who picked Sanderson to finish her husband's work. And Jordan wasn't as protective of his writing, so his wife wasn't disrespecting his wishes.

Personally I'd like to see the series finished one way or the other, though I'm somewhat torn. GRRM dying might not be a foreseeable event as with Jordan's cancer, and GRRM has consistently stated that most of the story resides in his head. So if he were to die suddenly, I'm not sure how much Parris or his assistant know--or the HBO producers--even if Parris was willing to allow the publishers to finish ASoIaF. Worse, I don't know of a writer I think fit to finish it. I'd almost rather not know than see the series poorly handled to its conclusion.

If there was a time to employ a time jump, it would have been between books 3 and 4, like GRRM originally intended. As far as I know, he abandoned this 5 year gap because he felt that too much would happen in this time span to warrant a skip, as well as an over reliance on flash backs which he disliked.

I will always believe that AFFC should not have started immediately after ASOS. While I like AFFC a lot, there was no reason it needed to pick up directly after the end of ASOS. 6 months or more, even a year could have gone by without a problem. This would have moved the story and plot lines and character developments along that much farther and more quickly. But in the end, what's done is done and nothing will change that. I still like AFFC and ADWD is great. TWOW will basically be back in line with GRRM's intentions, it seems.

Wasn't this also during the time that GRRM initially envisioned ASOIAF as a trilogy? Impossible to only use the POV's from AGOT when the world and story has expanded so much.

• 2 weeks later...

that would be stupid. We are all excited to read about how the current complicated story resolves, with all the cliffhangers and story-arcs. Four years fast forward at this point of the series is forcing the series to die.

Did you read the original question at all or the discussion afterwards?

I wasn't saying there has to be a time jump of 5 years I was merely saying is it possible for any sort of time jump to occur in the next two books.

I personally believe something along the lines of 6 months to a year could go down AFTER all of the cliffhangers from Dance are resolved so likely 200-300 pages into Winds. At this stage of the series a 4-5 year time jump would not be a good idea but a smaller one or perhaps 3-4 separate ones dding up to no more than 1 year would certainly in my mind be very possible. So next time think about what you are writing before posting, insulting an idea wont get you very far on this forum

If there was a time to employ a time jump, it would have been between books 3 and 4, like GRRM originally intended. As far as I know, he abandoned this 5 year gap because he felt that too much would happen in this time span to warrant a skip, as well as an over reliance on flash backs which he disliked.

I will always believe that AFFC should not have started immediately after ASOS. While I like AFFC a lot, there was no reason it needed to pick up directly after the end of ASOS. 6 months or more, even a year could have gone by without a problem. This would have moved the story and plot lines and character developments along that much farther and more quickly. But in the end, what's done is done and nothing will change that. I still like AFFC and ADWD is great. TWOW will basically be back in line with GRRM's intentions, it seems.

This works for me and I like your views on the subject :thumbsup:

GRRM has repeatedly stated that this won't happen, the publisher doesn't have the legal right to hire another author for the series. So it won't happen unless Parris blatantly disrespects his wishes after his death and grants the publisher the right to do so. Harriet, Jordan's wife, had control since she inherited the intellectual property of the Wheel of Time, and she was the person who picked Sanderson to finish her husband's work. And Jordan wasn't as protective of his writing, so his wife wasn't disrespecting his wishes.

Personally I'd like to see the series finished one way or the other, though I'm somewhat torn. GRRM dying might not be a foreseeable event as with Jordan's cancer, and GRRM has consistently stated that most of the story resides in his head. So if he were to die suddenly, I'm not sure how much Parris or his assistant know--or the HBO producers--even if Parris was willing to allow the publishers to finish ASoIaF. Worse, I don't know of a writer I think fit to finish it. I'd almost rather not know than see the series poorly handled to its conclusion.

Can we not talk about GRRM's health or life expectancy. I don't mean to come off as a board mod but its really not our concern. Just putting that out there and saying we should get back to theory stuff

Archived