Who do you think Coldhands is?

Lady Snowcat

Hello everyone...new to the forum...really enjoying it so far...I've learned so much from all of your insights...makes me want to go back and read all the books again as I realize I've missed so many of the subtle clues GRRM gives us.

To the question at hand: Who do think Coldhands is? I searched the forum here & didn't see a thread directly addressing this. If I missed that one...sorry.

I would like to think it is Benjen but that would be too easy. Easy is not something GRRM does.

I liked the Benjen character even though he played such a small role. I also liked the actor they cast in HBO's GoT.

I think we would all agree that unless a POV character sees the death of another character, they probably aren't dead. That bodes well for Benjen. If not him, who? And is 'he' a character or a supernatural being? Thoughts?

And where are poor Rickon & Osha?

PS - Just finished AFFC Sunday & will be getting ADWD from the library today. I've been 3 days w/o the ASofIF world. Can you say withdrawal? I think I'm going to have to buy all the books as I keep having to reveiw them as I read along.

I'd love Coldhands to be Benjen but I agree with you, that would be too easy and obvious. I can't think of who else he could possibly be except for a new character.

I didn't pick up any references to Rickon in AFFC and only started ADWD last night, so I'm in the same position as you wondering where he is

I'm torn in regards to this topic. It's one that seems to come up in conversation all the time when I talk to someone who is reading the series as well, and Coldhands is introduced. I would like to say Coldhands is somehow Benjen and is helping Bran for this reason, but at the same time I don't want to accept the possibility that Benjen is dead... (even if he is in the state of Coldhands).

Part of me is still holding out on the hope that Benjen is still alive out there,.. somewhere.... collecting information on what crazy things are going on/about to go on...

I would also like the idea that it is Benjen. I, however, agree with the abovementioned fact that GRRM does not like things to be obvious. I think that it should be revealed, though - when Coldhands and Bran meet, I think if it was Benjen, Bran should recognize him (however weird state of being he might have turned to).

• 3 weeks later...

My guess is the Night King

I like it. Although, I'm not sure the Night King would be so inclined to help the Night's Watch. However, we know that the Night King took a supernatural wife who may have been an Other. I like to think that Coldhands is either their descendant or the product of a similar union. Thoughts?

The Night King seems most obvious, Coldhands cannot be Benjen because I think it's the Three - eyed - crow or one of the CotF who says 'They killed him long ago' and Benjen hasn't been lost for that long.

In the early chapters of GoT Old Nan also says that the Night King was a Stark, maybe that his name was Brandon also, and considering how Old Nan has got got literally everything right so far such as giants the CotF and the comet meaning dragons, this may be foreshadowing the identity of Coldhands who also says when asked if he is a monster, he replies with 'Yes, your monster Bran' or something along those lines.

This has been raised in a similar thread where someone came up with the idea that a Stark, whose name was deliberately forgotten, and not interred in the crypts below Winterfell without the Stark Burial customs, (sword etc.) , became a wight.

Very possible that he is the offsprimg of the NK and an Other, could be possible that such a union may produce a sapient wight.

I thought it was Benjen, but now I am more inclined to say it is just an old 'monster' that has become part of the story. I don't think we will see Benjen again personally as GRRM has filled these books with so many possibilities people are overlooking the possibility that maybe it is just how it is sometimes.

Maybe Coldhands is just Coldhands. A guy who is a friend of the Night's Watch and maybe a friend of Benjen.

This made me laugh because a lot of us seem to be hyper-vigilant about reading some possibility into every character that appears.

Something like: that serving girl in one of the taverns Arya visited in her travels is really the illegitimate daughter of Hodor and an unnamed girl who was sitting with Arya & Sansa doing needlework at Winterfell. Later we'll find she's one of the surviving heirs of Winterfell because she (the unnamed girl) was really the bastard daughter of Ned and a serving girl in one of the taverns visited by Brienne in her travels.

Yes, maybe Coldhands is just Coldhands...

This made me laugh because a lot of us seem to be hyper-vigilant about reading some possibility into every character that appears.

Something like: that serving girl in one of the taverns Arya visited in her travels is really the illegitimate daughter of Hodor and an unnamed girl who was sitting with Arya & Sansa doing needlework at Winterfell. Later we'll find she's one of the surviving heirs of Winterfell because she (the unnamed girl) was really the bastard daughter of Ned and a serving girl in one of the taverns visited by Brienne in her travels.

Haha. George certainly keeps us on our toes, doesn't he?

The Night King seems most obvious, Coldhands cannot be Benjen because I think it's the Three - eyed - crow or one of the CotF who says 'They killed him long ago' and Benjen hasn't been lost for that long.

In the early chapters of GoT Old Nan also says that the Night King was a Stark, maybe that his name was Brandon also, and considering how Old Nan has got got literally everything right so far such as giants the CotF and the comet meaning dragons, this may be foreshadowing the identity of Coldhands who also says when asked if he is a monster, he replies with 'Yes, your monster Bran' or something along those lines.

This has been raised in a similar thread where someone came up with the idea that a Stark, whose name was deliberately forgotten, and not interred in the crypts below Winterfell without the Stark Burial customs, (sword etc.) , became a wight.

Very possible that he is the offsprimg of the NK and an Other, could be possible that such a union may produce a sapient wight.

I think what he says is "your monster, Brandon Stark". This could mean he is just going "I'm your monster" to Bran, but it could also be he is introducing himself as Brandon Stark, which was the Night Kings name.

I love this post, and I agree with that like 99.99999999999999% of the time, however in this case, I think coldhands is actually gonna be something important, or at least be more fleshed out as a character, simply because if the story was just, "Sam and Gilly were about to starve to death in the cold, but then some random dude with no significance whatsoever saved their asses, but he's gone now. So yeah they're alive, just roll with it..." that would be a huge copout, and GRRM doesn't just throw stuff in all willy-nilly. They might as well have just found the wall themselves. I'm not saying coldhands is Benjen, or Rhaegar Targaryen (although he totally is RT) but I do think he's more important than "Just coldhands."

I think what he says is "your monster, Brandon Stark". This could mean he is just going "I'm your monster" to Bran, but it could also be he is introducing himself as Brandon Stark, which was the Night Kings name.

Good point, but I thought the identity of the NK was uncertain. I remember an Umber and a Bolton being mentioned as well.

Archived