GRRM has consistently stated the ending will be Bittersweet

After defeating the others at great costs remaining Stark children meet for the first time at ruins of Winterfel. Bran is not there because he's a tree, Rickon is wild beyond repair...After all that happened it would be bittersweet no mater what.They've lost their family and innocence no sweet can sweeten it enough for me.

It's got to cost more than that. What I'm guessing is that the Seven Kingdoms will be no more by the time this is over. So it might nit matter who wins the game. I'm sure that as it is right now, the throne will not exist in the same capacity by Long Night's end.

Westeros will be saved, but at great cost. Dany and the other 2 dragon riders (whoever they turn out to be) and the dragons will sacrifice themselves. The giants, wildlings, CoF and people of the Seven Kingdoms will have to band together to defeat the Others. Dany will finally attain her goal only to die saving her Kingdoms. Bran will achieve greatness, but have a lonely, sad life without the glory that he dreamed of. Winterfell will be returned to the Starks, but most of the Starks that we have come to love will be dead. Jaime will redeem himself, but his children will die. Theon will redeem himself, but no one will be left to care. LF will die, but he will have already had a major part in the devastation of his enemies (Starks). The Others will be defeated, but there will be no magic left in the world. There will be peace for a time. There will be hope for a new beginning.... the dream of spring

It's too painful for me to even think about it.

I'll be upset if the Starks don't get some measure of revenge against the Lannisters.

When you think about it there's already been some bittersweet moments like Joffrey's death. Yeah it was great to see him die but he died at the hands of the Tyrells. Also Sansa was able to escape from the clutches of the Lannisters but now she's in the hands of LF. Out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Those have been my thoughts all along. It's also another reason why I think Benjen Stark will be the Valonqar. The Lannisters all dieing is cool, but the Stark's aren't getting any revenge points out of it, which is no fun.

It's got to cost more than that. What I'm guessing is that the Seven Kingdoms will be no more by the time this is over. So it might nit matter who wins the game. I'm sure that as it is right now, the throne will not exist in the same capacity by Long Night's end.

My money is in the kingdoms spliting again somehow, but probably not in Seven, but some other number.

I think Dany will die in the end, to provide the "bitterness" of the ending. I feel like her whole storyline has been slated to make her the "saviour" at the end. Or at least, the one saviour that will sacrifice her life at the end. Bran and Jon will still be alive, I think, but I think Jon may end up celibate, effectively finishing off the trueblood Targaryens for ever. Aegon Blackfyre will probably end up on the throne in the end, but since he's not a true Targ, I don't think he'll be able to ride any of the dragons...I think (and hope) that none of the Starks will die, since the last book was supposed to be called "A Time for Wolves" though he changed it later on.

His true parentage will be revealed, GRRM has stated. I always thought that this meant Jon would know who his parents were, but now I'm not so sure he will know.

I agree. I said in another thread that I could envision an Epilogue to aDoS wherein Bran sees the truth through the Weirwood, but cannot communicate the truth to Jon. Thus, we the readers find out the truth but Jon never does.

I just hope its a decent ending. I've had my fill of bittersweet endings, for quite a long time. Simply because several endings recently that were supposedly bittersweet seemed to forget that sweet is part of bittersweet. Right now, bittersweet seems to mean that the good guys win, but the conditions after the struggle are exactly what the bad guys were attempting to put in place.... with damn near every good guy dead, and some of them died ignominiously. If that is what bittersweet means now a days, I want nothing to do with it.

Archived