The Mountain vs Robert Baratheon

KhalFrodo

No.

Robert destroyed a 280 year old dynasty. He won three battles in one day, beat rhaegar at the trident even though he was outnumbered. He has a mind for war. Gregor has never led an army never had a command of his own he just throws himself at the enemy.

Robert destroyed a 280 year old dynasty. He won three battles in one day, beat rhaegar at the trident even though he was outnumbered. He has a mind for war. Gregor has never led an army never had a command of his own he just throws himself at the enemy.

What are you talking about E-RO?! He was a brilliant warrior, he showed that frail sickly mother and her two baby children whose boss!

Where as Robert won every battle he fought in except one. Overthrew a dynasty. Then crushed Balon's Rebellion some years later.

Say what you want about King Bob but he had a mind for a war where as the mountain was simply a brigand.

We are not talking about "commander smartness" here, we are only talking about cleverness in one to one combat. Take for instance, Ser Barristan Selmy is probably one of the smartest one to one combatant of his generation, but would make for a sloppy commander. Being clever at leading armies is one thing, but being clever in one to one battles is entirely a different matter altogether.

All assumptions. Basically, it's all down to which character one prefers.

If I said that Gregor was faster than Robert, can you prove me wrong, without using the "bigger you are, the slower you are" logic? Because we all know that is false assumption. Take a look at Lebron James, for instance, quite big, but yet insanely faster than most smaller sized folks.

Gregor is slow, that much we know. Bronn stated it and Oberyn proved it. What reasons do you have to believe that Robert is slower exactly?

Gregor is slow, that much we know. Bronn stated it and Oberyn proved it. What reasons do you have to believe that Robert is slower exactly?

No, that is wrong and you know it.

Bronn said he was more nimbler than Gregor, that does not make Gregor a snail. It only means that Bronn is quicker than Gregor.

Oberyn did not prove that Gregor is slow, he only proved that he is quicker than the Mountain.

And for the record, I do not believe that Robert was slow. I just will not believe that he was quicker than Gregor without you presenting any valid evidence that he was (and by evidence, I do not mean your wild hunches).

As I said, it's all down to personal preference. You like Robert, so it's more likely you will believe that he will win against Gregor.

By the way, how was Robert proven to be smarter than Gregor in battles? For all we know, he could've been all brawn and no brain...

nah I've referred to him as King Bob elsewhere. He was not the best of people, but he was a tremendous, renowned warrior.

Bronn said he was more nimbler than Gregor, that does not make Gregor a snail. It only means that Bronn is quicker than Gregor.

Oberyn did not prove that Gregor is slow, he only proved that he is quicker than the Mountain.

And for the record, I do not believe that Robert was slow. I just will not believe that he was quicker than Gregor without you presenting any valid evidence that he was (and by evidence, I do not mean your wild hunches).

Bronn said that he was never fast, just freakish big and freakish strong. He wasnt just refereing to himself being quicker than Gregor.

Why exactly is it a wild hunch to reason that a well muscled 6,6 man is faster than an 8 foot tall giant in heavy plate?

Bronn said that he was never fast, just freakish big and freakish strong. He wasnt just refereing to himself being quicker than Gregor.

Can you please quote the passage where Bronn said that?

Why exactly is it a wild hunch to reason that a well muscled 6,6 man is faster than an 8 foot tall giant in heavy plate?

Will Robert be fighting without armour by any chance?

As I said earlier, Lebron James is 6 foot 9. Guess that means all smaller, well muscled men are quicker than him...

imma go with Gregor on this one, he has this freakish endurance and unhuman strength. Robert has never faced a opponent of Gregors magnitude. I wouldn't go as far as say Gregor is slow, i mean he has the worlds heaviest armor on him and moves well with it just not as fast as Oberyn or Bronn, who are just Fast and Quick. I don't see Robert being as fast as them probably Robert and Gregor are on the same speed level. But Gregor would destroy Robert.

Can you please quote the passage where Bronn said that?

Will Robert be fighting without armour by any chance?

As I said earlier, Lebron James is 6 foot 9. Guess that means all smaller, well muscled men are quicker than him...

Tyrion - "I had heard ser Gregor was wounded on the Red Fork and again at Duskendale. His wounds are bound to slow him."

Bronn looked annoyed - "He was never fast. Only freakish big and freakish strong."

Robert wont be fighting with armour anywhere near as heavy as Gregors. Gregor overdoes it because he can, Bronn is the other extreme who wears very little armour.

Lebron is closer in size to Robert. Gregor is closer in size to Shaq and Yao and much heavier than either of them. Name one NBA player at 6,6 that is slower than Yao or Shaq. Those two are faster than you would expect men their size to be but not faster than any 6,6 player in the league.

I'm taking the mountain. Robert's strength and fury was his greatest weapon, against The Mountain those things would be nothing. The Mountain rips Robert's helm off and crushes his skull with one hand. I don't think this one is even close. Styles make fights, Robert relies on his strength but when fighting a much stronger figher he loses.

They don't, they're just assuming it for no reason. One guy said it was because he was 'muscled like a maiden's dream'. In that case, I guess Gregor being 8 feet of pure muscle just slows Gregor down, is what they're saying? Gregor isn't slow - in the books it actually says he is faster than a person his size has any right to be. He might be slow compared to Oberyn wearing minimal armor, but Robert is a big guy too in heavy armor (like Gregor). Also, Robert being 6'6 still leaves him a FOOT AND A HALF SHORTER (loud voice) than Gregor.

So while we actually have someone in the books commenting on how Gregor is, at the least, fast for an 8 foot tall guy in full plate, we have nothing on Robert's speed. We know he is strong and wears heavy armor, and his 40 lb hammer has got to slow him down. An 8 pound sledge hammer is hard to swing around.

I'm not trying to tell you that Robert can't beat him (even though I don't think he could) I'm just saying that this fast Robert/ Slow Gregor thing is just something you guys made up.

edit: I remember a distinctly similar bias against the Hound in all those Sandor/Bronn threads: everyone said Sandor was really slow, even though there was ZERO evidence of that in the books.

conclusion: The Clegane's get no respect for their speed. It's just assumed by people that they are slow for absolutely no textual reason.

yeah I love the Cleganes...

Bronn says the mountainis slow. Ever see a guy fight anoter guy a foot and a half taller and the short guy was slower? No you havent. Because it hasnt happened between real fighters ever.

Ever see nikolai valuev fight? How about Gheorge Mhuerason or Yoa Ming play basketball? Name me one basketball player that's 6'6 and slower than them. You, as usual, are talking out of your ass like a fool.

My bad everybody, I didn't know that this sort of question was frowned upon.

The only point I want to add is the Rhaegar was bested by Robert. Rhaegar was no doubt a gifted swordman with a fair bit of speed to his swordplay. I think Robert's skill and technique with his warhammer would really be the game changer, not his strength or debated speed. At 8 ft tall, The Mountain would have a very hard time countering a hammer swing toward the knees. The shear impact, regardless of what armor worn, would snap the a mans leg in two. But, like everyone has said it's impossible to know for sure.

We love these questions.

Id only slightly favor Robert. Both guys have ko power, but i almost never ever see freakish sized guys win. Styles make fights is right. Sander has a tougher style for Robert and so does Jamie. Id take Robert over Syrio because syrio couldnt keep Robert off of him.

Id only favor 2 people over Robert. Sandor and Arthur Dayne. I think prime Jamie and Strong Belwas are pickum fights with Robert. Everyone else, Id favor Bob.

Id only favor 2 people over Robert. Sandor and Arthur Dayne. I think prime Jamie and Strong Belwas are pickum fights with Robert. Everyone else, Id favor Bob.

I agree, his choice of weapon gives him a distinct advantage gainst men in plate who are for some reason using swords. But it is true so much skill will kill anyone like arthur for example, plate or no dayne is good enough to get a thrust in on the gaps.

I tend to think that Jaime in AGOT is as good as anyone, including Ser Arthur Dayne. The mans got a great rep. He killed how many people at the Whispering Wood? I think it was three young lords, three who have been trained to battle, hardy as you get. Even after months of being chained up he is a match for Brienne, who we know is far beyond the normal warrior, or even knight as she showed in Renlys tent. Hes a talent no doubt, wether he has the mentality is unknown

In the Mountain v Robert im going with Robert. He seems like a peerless warrior which we know Gregor is not. And we know Gregor has no battle sense, just a pathological need to kill. However he does seem to be nealy indestructible. I still fancy Robert to kneecap him

Archived