What's Your Favorite Wedding in aSoS? (spoilers)

Orell the Eagle

Having just finished aSoS, this seems to be the book of many interesting weddings! To my count, there are FIVE weddings in this book, four of which we see.....1.) Sansa and Tyrion, 2.) Robb and Jeyne Westerling (we don't actually see), 3.) the Red Wedding (Edmure Tully and Roslin Frey), 4.) Joffrey and Margaery Tyrell, and last but not least...5.) Littlefinger and Lysa Tully. I'm just curious to know what is everyone's favorite wedding? Obviously the Red Wedding is pretty disastrous and awful...

My personal favorite is Joffrey and Margaery's, not only because the sadistic little bastard king finally dies...(and I really wish he died a more horrible, gruesome death!)...but because of Tyrion's cynical, drunken reactions to the absurd extravagence of it all.

Also, I just have to say, it really annoyed me that Sansa would not kneel for Tyrion at her wedding when they exchanged cloaks. Tyrion tugged at her three times! Would it have killed her to kneel? Poor Tyrion!

I don't really care for weddings (except for the one I was in) because big tough guys such as I aren't supposed to cry ;) What I do like are receptions--the wetter, the better. While I don't remember reading about anyone dancing the Chicken Dance, the best party following a wedding in this book was Joffrey's. Humiliation, royal bottom-showing, two-fisted drinking, pigeons, dog and pig show, capped off by regicide. Now THAT'S a party!

Joffrey's wedding was awesome in the books. The back and forth between Tyrion and Sansa's POVs made it fantastic. Tyrion's hatred for Joffrey and Sansa's terror, made it an incredibly tense bunch of pages.

If anything in Season 3 is going to warrent an entire episode devoted entirely to it, its this. The Red Wedding is very overrated. Its just that it gets called the Red Wedding. The wedding and reception alone are pretty tame its just the devastating turn of events after that is huge.

J's wedding and reception however is pretty exceptionally bizarre all the way through.

With regards to the HBO series, it'll be interesting to see how they solve the RW, given that so far, Bolton hasn't been properly introduced. I still think it would make for some awesome scenes with all the forebodings and the tension leading up to the slaughter.

Bolton hasn't been properly introduced.

Speaking of which - shouldn't Roose Bolton's wedding to Fat Walda be added to the list in the original post? It's a wedding we don't actually see but neither did we see Robb's wedding to Jeyne as mentioned by the OP. Or are Bolton and Fat Walda merely betrothed and to be married later?

Speaking of which - shouldn't Roose Bolton's wedding to Fat Walda be added to the list in the original post? It's a wedding we don't actually see but neither did we see Robb's wedding to Jeyne as mentioned by the OP. Or are Bolton and Fat Walda merely betrothed and to be married later?

Yes, good point...Roose Bolton did in fact marry Fat Walda. So wait, why exactly did he decide on Fat Walda, out of all the other Frey girls he had to choose from? Does he just have a thing for fat chicks?

Yes, good point...Roose Bolton did in fact marry Fat Walda. So wait, why exactly did he decide on Fat Walda, out of all the other Frey girls he had to choose from? Does he just have a thing for fat chicks?

As the Prince of Winterfell mentioned, Roose Bolton was offered his wife's weight in silver as dowry, and being a practical man he chose the heaviest girl available to maximise the dowry. There is even a passage where Fat Walda smugly notes that for the first time she's proved to have something her competitor Fair Walda did not :laugh:

Well I hated the Red Wedding for obvious reasons. It was fantastically written, shocking and disturbing but I can't list it as my favourite.

Joffrey's wedding was probably my favourite just because it ended with his death and Sansa's escape. Plus, the change from Sansa's POV to Tyrion's was very well done.

The funniest wedding for me was Littlefinger and Lysa... well their wedding night anyway (screams).

The best wedding was Joffrey's just because I had been waiting so long for him to die.

The most disturbing wedding... the Red Wedding.

• 2 weeks later...

Joffrey and Margaery's of course. Because of Tyrion being funny, because of that tremendous prick finally being dead (can't even wait to see that in the TV show) and... well, as Jaime said it, a wedding like no other King's Landing has every seen - 77 courses and a kingslaying. (Or something like that.) I loved it. :D

Archived