Is there a Northern continent?

We have

• Westeros in the west
  • Essos in east
  • Sothoros in the south

But no northen continent or any clue if there is anything way pass north

George has stated that the lands north of the Wall are larger than Greenland, and implied that they go all the way to the North pole, pretty much.

So no, there is no seperate continent in the North. Just a massive part of Westeros that is still uncharted above the Wall.

I think it would also be interesting to explore the southern hemisphere of the ASOIAF planet.

As it gets colder to the north of Westeros and warmer to the south, it definitely looks like we are in a continent located on the northern hemisphere. Dorne is definitely no warm enough to be at equator latitude (I would even say not even warm enough to be at the tropics!), though the Summer Islands and Sothoryos might be.

We have a partial knowledge of the northern hemisphere and its landmasses (Westeros, Essos, a fraction of Sothoryos) but at present not the slightest idea of the other 50% of the world.

What lands and civilizations may lie within those uncharted areas? Will we ever know?

I think it would also be interesting to explore the southern hemisphere of the ASOIAF planet.

As it gets colder to the north of Westeros and warmer to the south, it definitely looks like we are in a continent located on the northern hemisphere. Dorne is definitely no warm enough to be at equator latitude (I would even say not even warm enough to be at the tropics!), though the Summer Islands and Sothoryos might be.

We have a partial knowledge of the northern hemisphere and its landmasses (Westeros, Essos, a fraction of Sothoryos) but at present not the slightest idea of the other 50% of the world.

What lands and civilizations may lie within those uncharted areas? Will we ever know?

Indeed. I've calculated before that the equator lies between 500 and 1000 miles south of the Summer Islands.

That means the entire story, and every location mentioned even in myth and legend, lies in the northern hemisphere. Sothoryos probably extends past the equator, but apart from that we know nothing about that half of the planet.

Well there is also the possibility that we know nothing about the southern hemisphere because there is simply no continents down there, just a enormous body of water (a little bit like Earth, where 2/3 of emerged lands are located in the northern hemisphere and 90% of the world's population, but more extreme).

I am no expert in climate, but maybe having such a massive body of water lying south would cause the southern coast of Dorne and the Reach prone to specific climatic features (be hit by hurricanes, or whatever) of which we have no particular mention. I don’t know if this can help to rule this option or deduce any knowledge.

I can't remember, has ever a character mentioned traveling that far south? (or hint given, like a character mentioning travelling to a place where the stars where different?)

I doubt that there would be an even further north continent, particularly if Westeros and Essos are roughly as large as they are thought to be. Sothoryos seems to be Africa, but we don't know how large it is or how far south it goes, so for all we know it could be the size of Australia.

Didn't GRRM mention the possibility outside of the books of a New World-type continent further west?

GRRM said that the Land of Always Winter will be explored in tWoW, so we'll know a bit more on that front.

An other thing that concerns me is the Sunset Sea. How big is it? How thoroughly has it been explored? Will we know more about it? Is there land on the other side of the sea? Does it turn all the way round till it reaches Asshai?

I've calculated before that the equator lies between 500 and 1000 miles south of the Summer Islands.

But that would be assuming that their planet is the same size as hours, which I don't think we know for sure. But anyway, climatically speaking, it seems to work well enough.

An other thing that concerns me is the Sunset Sea. How big is it? How thoroughly has it been explored? Will we know more about it? Is there land on the other side of the sea? Does it turn all the way round till it reaches Asshai?

George has confirmed that his world is round, and that it is possible to circumnavigate it. Whether there's a landmass between the Westerosi west coast and Asshai (their America), we don't know.

Indeed. I've calculated before that the equator lies between 500 and 1000 miles south of the Summer Islands.

That means the entire story, and every location mentioned even in myth and legend, lies in the northern hemisphere. Sothoryos probably extends past the equator, but apart from that we know nothing about that half of the planet.

How is that possible if Arya was able to navigate by finding moss on the south side of trees? Westeros has no choice but to be south of the equator. And it gets colder as you go closer to that equator... Weird.

Hodorific,

Note that when Arya was looking for moss in the south side of the trees for orientation, she got lost. Not only she wasn't able to get to Riverrun, but complained that she found rivers "that weren't supposed to be there" and that the map was "all wrong".

But that would be assuming that their planet is the same size as hours, which I don't think we know for sure. But anyway, climatically speaking, it seems to work well enough.

George has stated that the Ice and Fire world is slightly larger than planet earth. I estimate about 10%-20% larger, based on that, because if it was 50% larger then it would be whole LOT larger.

Anyway, using a 10% increase in size for the purpose of my calculation, I took the distance of 1 degree of latitude - which is 69 miles in our world - and added 10% to it. That gives you about 76 miles.

I then found the Arctic treeline - the northern edge of the Haunted Forest. This is about 600 miles north of the Wall. The Arctic treeline lies on about 68 degrees northern latitude, on average, in the real world. Meaning that the Wall then lies about 8 degrees south of the Arctic treeline, at about 60 degrees North latitude.

The equator then has to lie roughly 60 degrees x 76 miles = about 4500 miles south of the Wall. Dorne is between 2500 and 3000 miles south of the Wall. Meaning that the equator is between 1500 and 2000 miles south of Dorne.

Inbetween these extremes, this calculation also shows that the Neck is at about 45 degrees North latitude, and Dorne is at about 25 degrees North latitude. Incidentally, on earth the 25th parrallel North runs through areas like the Sahara desert, Saudi Arabia, and the deserts of northern Mexico. Exactly the climate of Dorne.

It all ties up perfectly.

Seems correct, yes...

As for Sothoryos... wasnt it stated somewhere that the continent is huge and mostly covered by a jungle ?

Damn, I wish we'd know more about Sothoryos ! Must be great stories to tell, there too !

And I wonder, is there a "South Wall"... it must get cold again, deep South... are there Others in the "South Pole" too ?

And I wonder, is there a "South Wall"... it must get cold again, deep South... are there Others in the "South Pole" too ?

I wonder too... and since Sothoryos is told to be inhabitated by apes I guess that the "Black Brothers" of the Southern Wall are indeed black... because of their fur.

:lmao:

Archived