Something really bugging me about Sam's voyage...

Saxony

Perhaps you don't understand the concept of the narrow sea. Ships that travel up and down the narrow sea zigzag from Westeros to Essos and back again. Braavos was that ship's first stop, since it is the northernmost port in Essos.

Don't think of the narrow sea as an Atlantic Ocean analog. Instead, think of it as more like the Mediterranean Sea in terms of width.

Braavos seems to be the principal hub port with more ships arriving and departing than elsewhere, so probably your best choice for minimising wait time between trips (so long as one of your party doesn't fall sick).

How in the hell do you get to Oldtown via Bravos????????

Isn't that sort of like going from Canada to Mexico via England??

I would say between 1861 to 1865, Canada to Mexico via England would be the smart thing to do. :)

The Night's Watch can't afford to lose one of its ships for months just to ferry four people to Oldtown. Instead, they make the much shorter trip to Braavos (the largest port in the world), where they can easily book passage to Oldtown (the largest port in Westeros) on their own. Meanwhile, the ship returns to Eastwatch to resume its duties.

Isn't that sort of like going from Canada to Mexico via England??

Think of it as taking a flight from Belfast to London-Heathrow, to New York-JFK. Your first leg actually takes you further away, but it's the short leg that connects you to the main flight.

Here is a map showing just how narrow the Narrow Sea is:

http://www.sermounta...ulative_map.jpg

As you can see, it makes perfect sense for a ship out of Eastwatch to stop at Braavos on its journey down the Narrow Sea.

Wow - beautiful map! I could have sworn I saw a map that showed Braavos being directly east of the wall. This makes much more sense.

Thanks!

Archived