My opinion so far

I was a bit afraid to start with this book because I've read a lot of posts saying that after A Storm Of Swords the books get a bit boring, especially this one.

But I'm halfway through now and I can see why people find it less sensational ( It can get a bit boring with all the descriptions ) but nonetheless I wouldn't skip this book ( as I've read a topic about somebody who was pondering about just looking up the important bits on the internet without reading the book itself ).

I think this book is a really nice change. A Storm of Swords was full of exciting events and almost in every chapter something huge happened but in this one you notice the calm after the storm and how all the characters adapt to that. I just loved to finally see Lord Tarling in the books and witness Arya's & Sansa's journey ( And before I never really liked Sansa's chapters, despite her keyrole in the story)

And I never really liked the Ironborn but the Kingsmoot was really fun to read in my opinion and it changed my view about them.

I just felt like making this topic because I find it sad how some readers really seem to dislike this book.

Though I must add that I don't read as fast in this book as I did with the previous ones. Normally I can complete a book of the series in 2-3 days but I only read like 50-80 pages a day in this one. Because yes it can get quite weary :P

Not really a topic you can reply to but I felt to get this out into the open :P

I'm very happy to hear you say that. I don't understand why so many people don't like the book either, because I thought it was fantastic. Yes it is very different from ASoS, but after all that action, it was nice for a change. My favorite chapters where the Brienne chapters and her peripatetic existence.

This book gives you a lot of background and history into the world of Westeros. I'm rereading the whole series right now and can't wait to get to it!

Well I must say that the history is quite hard, I do my best to keep track with all of the names that are given but in some chapters it's nearly impossible.

But I do agree with the fact that the background and history that is given, really is interesting to read. ( despite how hard it may be at some times )

• 2 weeks later...

i think if you waited 5 years to get AFFC then you might be disappointed. However if you read them straight through with no significant break in between like i have then the change of tone is actually very refreshing. Now i'm ready for some more action in ADWD

Yeah, like many others, I have had the pleasure of reading through to DANCE without waiting years inbetween releases. But I cant see many avid fans of aSoIaF being disappointed with any of the books. At the end of the day we have put our trust in GRRM to go in whatever direction he see's fit with HIS tale. Yes, we may well feel disappointed with a certain characters decision or something that happens in the aSoIaF 'universe', but every word written just feeds us more info on the lore and mythology which can only be a good thing. To be honest, I welcomed the 'calm' of FEAST after the shit-storm that was STORM. The layers and webs are being spun for the climax of this epic story. And as long as we have the internet (this site in particular), we can get the most out of everything we have so far.

Archived