Homestuck: The New Hypertext Fiction?

Sci-2

Curious if anyone else is reading Homestuck.

I saw this article on Tor calling it "The First Great Work of Internet Fiction", and this interview+praise by the dude who made Scott Pilgrim, so thought I'd check it out.

I read a bit past Act 2 so far, it's amusing but also kinda interesting how it manipulates ideas of reality and time.

I tried a few times to understand it.

Probably a fine example of "post-modernism" applied to games and Internet subculture in general.

This timeline might help, but I'm only up to Act 3. Maybe my brain is self-inducing a natural high due to my old love of Sierra games, but I can't get enough of this comic like thing.

It's biased and unfair and not accurate but my only encounter with fucking homestuck has been working booths at anime cons where they're all filthy shoplifters. Seriously, the chances that a homestuck cos-player is a shoplifter has to be like, 10000 percent.

So um don't start stealing sciborg2.

I was a huge fan of Problem Sleuth (his previous adventure, highly recommended) and started reading Homestuck as it came out, and continued doing it for about six months before I had to give up because I didn't have much time to read and became confused as to what was happening to whom.

I had the intention of going back to it someday when I'd have more time on my hands, but that was three years ago, and now I'm just afraid to even try it, as I can only imagine what it must look like these days. :lol:

So um don't start stealing sciborg2.

No worries, I only steal hearts and the show. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Made it to Act 5. I actually find some of the time stuff unnecessary and a bit redundant. But I love the method of presentation and the characters.

That said, this isn't hypertext fiction like Pale Fire (which I've not read but it's in the TBR) or House of Leaves (which I one day will hopefully finish). That's something very different, and I can only guess the reference to Ulysses is in the Tor article is inaccurate.

It's still a fun story though.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm currently up to date with Homestuck, after arriving fairly late in the game. Yes, I think a small subset of the fandom (more so in the US) seems particularly horrendous but I don't think crappy fans should discourage people from enjoying something. In my experience, Homestuck fans usually occupy a spectrum ranging from decent, unassuming casual readers all the way to completely doolally. Hussie mocks a lot of internet culture and fandom in Homestuck, and I think some of the fans missed the joke...

In regards to Homestuck itself, it's certainly a work of genius. Whether that makes it good is up to you. I find the quality goes up and down all the time - sometimes I'm completely in love with it, others I'm thinking "yes this is all very clever, but when are you going to actually TELLING THE F*CKING STORY?!??"

In regards to Homestuck itself, it's certainly a work of genius.

Can you elaborate on this? I mean, I like the story, but it doesn't seem any more special than a good time travel comic.

The characters are interesting but not overly complex. The biggest thing it has going for it is the meta-commentary and utilization of multiple narrative forms.

• 1 month later...

Can you elaborate on this? I mean, I like the story, but it doesn't seem any more special than a good time travel comic.

Well, the fact that he has constructed such a complex and elaborate story with multiple universes and foreshadowing all over the place is impressive. At times it feels like he's making it up as he goes, but when I re-read it I found lots of foreshadowing in the early chapters for things that happened far later. There is the chess game, for instance. The role of the king and queen are swapped: taking the black king is required in order to win the game the kids think they're playing (at least to start with) but then the death of the black queen is required to set in motion the chain of events that lead to the 'actual' game being won (by the main antagonist). Then later on we meet a character who does the cheap king-queen swap thing during a real game of chess with a board and pieces, ruining the game in the process and pissing his opponent off, and we realise that this guy is the main villain and has basically been doing this on a massive, timey-wimey, multi-universe scale. There are a lot of red herrings throughout and little bits of information which seem unimportant but are in fact vital - like the deadly weapon which is supposed to be the thing that defeats the evil time traveler. There is the obvious choice, but it's almost certainly not going to be that and at the moment I think that the joke temporal artifact notable for not having any unusual time travel properties will turn out to be the Chekov's Gun so to speak. I don't want to say any more, as I'll end up giving too much away.

Anyway, he's also written some fantastic bits of dialogue. He's written some bad or smug or annoying stuff as well, but the good bits have made it worth reading for me. the characters are supposed to be annoying as they're a representation of the sorts of people you find on the internet where anonymity lets people act like dicks, so whether you find an character annoying in an endearing way or a just plain annoying way will vary. For instance, I find CarcinoGeneticist and Rose Lalonde hilarious. But some of the others are just infuriating. Thankfully he kills a lot of them off.

My opinion remains the same after this con season. Fookin Thieves!

I've never been to a convention. I assure you I am not a shoplifter. With any fandom the most vocal and obnoxious ones will always be the ones people remember, and from what the internet tells me Homestuck has some of the worst fans ever. I think the problem is that the sort of people the author mocks in his comic came to identify with these characters and see them as figures of dickhead empowerment, and perhaps they decided that if they dressed up as them then they could basically act like internet trolls all the time. Either way, there are some nutters out there but most the fans aren't that bad. Some do the dressing up and stuff but don't treat other people like shit, and some don't even bother with the cosplay.

• 4 months later...

Admittedly the holographic nature of the narrative is interesting, where little events are representations of bigger ones.

I guess I just feel like the story went of the rails after Cascade. It's the home stretch but it feels less and less exciting.

• 1 year later...

I am necroing a very old thread, but still...

My best friend got me into Homestuck, though I've read only up to Act 6 and nothing after because Act 6 is massive and I have college and writing and stuff to do, but it was an awesome read. I actually cosplayed Dave(just to clarify, I'm not American, it was Carnival in my country), though I didn't have enough money/resources to get all the stuff needed, but it still looked great. She(my best friend) was Vriska(god tier).

I'll probably re-read what I've read and read the rest this summer.

Has anyone listened to Homestuck music albums? Most songs were pretty bad for me, but a select few are really good, and one, Derse Dreamers, fantastic.

• 1 month later...

Archived