Ned vs. Mance

The Wild Wolf

Scouts would be no use as soon as Mance was before the gates. And losing at the Fist could still be enough to shatter Mance's coalition if it was a pyrrhic victory - something very likely. Furthermore, he intended to hit Mance's civilians on the march. Something very, very effective to shatter morale.

Perhaps. Still I think it would be a bigger gamble than I would want to take. He is going all-in. With regards to the scouts, I was more referring to Mance's approach. If he is going to attack at different points in force then the NW should be able to see them coming some way off, unless they march to one point and then march along the Wall, which would be rather stupid.

Perhaps. Still I think it would be a bigger gamble than I would want to take. He is going all-in. With regards to the scouts, I was more referring to Mance's approach. If he is going to attack at different points in force then the NW should be able to see them coming some way off, unless they marched to one point and then march along the Wall, which would be rather stupid.

Not at all, since it would prevent exactly what you propose and there is a nice street along the Wall - Mormont didn't knew the Others pressuring Mance to act fast.

Not at all, since it would prevent exactly what you propose and there is a nice street along the Wall - Mormont didn't knew the Others pressuring Mance to act fast.

I'm sorry, I'm not entirely sure that I follow. Could you clarify for me?

If Mance had time enough, he could march straight to Castle Black, maybe Eastwatch and the Shadowtower too, sit tight before the gate and send men along the once cleared and leveled stretch of earth along the foot of the Wall and have them cross it in a few places in force. He could gather three- or fourthousand men south of the Wall, and with the weeks the Watch would have needed to patrol the Wall, they'd have no chance to spot him, and since any scouting party would have to go straight through Mance, no idea where he would try to get across. And no way to defeat Mance by sallying out the gate as soon as he dug in.

But that needs time, several weeks at least. Time Mance could spare, if there were no Others. Others Mormont didn't expect. Others, that made Mance risk that costly attack on the gate.

If Ned called his banners the combined strength of the North and the Nights Watch would destroy Mance and his "army" easily. I can't stand Mance personally he is a coward and a oath breaker Ned would chop of his sword with ICE, Greatjon Umber would kill Tormund and Roose Bolton would have a warg off with Varmar and win! HAHHH I laugh just thinking about it the wildining would be slaughtered.

If Mance had time enough, he could march straight to Castle Black, maybe Eastwatch and the Shadowtower too, sit tight before the gate and send men along the once cleared and leveled stretch of earth along the foot of the Wall and have them cross it in a few places in force. He could gather three- or fourthousand men south of the Wall, and with the weeks the Watch would have needed to patrol the Wall, they'd have no chance to spot him, and since any scouting party would have to go straight through Mance, no idea where he would try to get across. And no way to defeat Mance by sallying out the gate as soon as he dug in.

But that needs time, several weeks at least. Time Mance could spare, if there were no Others. Others Mormont didn't expect. Others, that made Mance risk that costly attack on the gate.

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. I still think that moving along beneath the Wall would be a good way to get a lot of people killed by the NW, and give the Watch time to try to get some help, but I definitely see where you're coming from.

• 1 year later...

Archived