Black Brothers and A Letter With a Black Seal

StormWolf

I just read the Theon "Gift" chapter from TWOW for the second time and noticed a couple of details that left me feeling like I was in the dark.

The first is a letter that Stannis has. Theon takes note of it just after he concludes his business with Tycho Nestoris (the Braavos banker) and orders his man to bring him the Karstarks. Stannis looks over this letter and Theon takes note that it has a broken seal of hard, black, shiny wax. Theon seems excited over this and even thinks to himself that he knows what is says, then giggles. What is this letter, what does it say, and why does it excite Theon so?

Secondly, during Stannis' meeting with Justin Massey he informs Justin that he will accompany Tycho Nestoris back to Braavos. He tells Massey that the Ironborn, presumably the band Tycho ransomed from Glover at Deepwood Motte, will stay and fight for him, but the black brothers will accompany him as far as Castle Black. Who are these black brothers? I assume they're men of the Night's Watch, but who are they? Where did they come from? I don't remember Stannis taking any Night's Watch men with him when he left Castle Black, nor do I think it mentions any going with Tycho Nestoris when he leaves for Deepwood Motte in search of Stannis. Anyone have answers?

I would have to agree with that. Although, about Theons actions. Hard to tell, he could literally just be delerious. Theon is so f'd up that he could be doing that out of being pyscotic. He has schizophrenia now and he is mad crazy. There could be an underlying hint at that....but I wouldnt put too much thought into it seeing as Theons state at the moment.

Theon probably giggles because he connects the black wax to Jon Snow, who still believes Theon killed Bran and Rickon. The fact that he was so near the "spirit" of Jon Snow, who wrote the letter? yes?, indicates he's still a bit off. It will take a while for him to recover - if he's spared by Stannis and does not end up feeding the roots of the weirwood nearby. :dunno:

Archived