Jon's Negotiations with Tycho Nestoris

Cynthia Snow

I'm currently rereading A Dance with Dragons, and a line in Jon IX stood out to me. When Jon first says that he's asking for a loan for all food and related expenses that will last until spring, Tycho's immediate response is to say that it's not possible, so we know that, while it was indeed possible, Jon is asking a great deal. Yet an agreement is worked out regardless.

After Jon and Tycho Nestoris, the Braavosi banker, negotiate their arrangement for a loan to the Night's Watch through the coming winter, Jon thinks the following-

Tycho Nestoris had left behind a copy of their agreement. Jon read it over thrice. That was simple, he reflected. Simpler than I dared hope. Simpler than it should have been.

Now I'm wondering if there's any other meaning behind this. Perhaps Jon, who "haggles like a crone with a codfish," according to Stannis, is a much better negotiator than he realizes. Or maybe the Nestoris saw some kind of benefit from or need to assist the Night's Watch. It seems strange to me that people in Braavos would realize the threat the Others pose, or even care much, since they're across an ocean, especially since nobody in Westeros itself hasn't bothered to accept or address it.

Any theories on why Jon was able to make this said-to-be-impossible deal happen without nearly as much struggling as he had hoped?

Archived