Varys and his crossbow

Net-Viper X

I'm quite sure that Varys could have used any other weapon. If you believe the guy is not capable of using weapons you are mistaken, I think. Varys rose from the gutters to his lofty position. He began his life as a slave, and he was humbled even more when that sorcerer unmanned him and told him to go out and die. I'm quite sure Varys has killed quite a lot of people, either with his bare hands, or with weapons and other dangerous objects, simply to survive. And perhaps also to get rid of competitors, enemies, and other nuisances, in Myr, Pentos, and King's Landing.

Varys is playing a role, and he may really not like to kill, but he can do it. He tells us why he used the crossbow - because he thought it fitting. I'm not sure if Pycelle was killed with a crossbow. It seems to me that Varys crashed his skull. If he had used the crossbow he would have let the quarrel in, I guess. And by the way, I very much doubt that the little birds are supposed to cut Kevan into pieces in the very end. They may wield all daggers, but they are only going to finish Kevan off, they won't make huge mess.

Well, I was going on the possibility of one of his little spies betraying him mainly since there were several of them in the room with him. That or someone like Melissandre or Moqorro seeing it as part of some vision and using that knowledge to aid Tyrion in his return. Who witnessed it wasn't really the point but rather his choice of a crossbow instead of poison or some other means of murder might conceivably come back on him in relation to Tywins death. Using a particular weapon as a means of framing someone for murders and then having that very thing be what frames you for a murder just seems to me like something GRRM would do. It would be a true case of a spider being caught in its own web.

Joffrey and his habit of shooting things with a crossbow was a moot point by this time, since he was already dead.

Firstly Joff couldn't hit the broadside of a rabbit from three paces with a crossbow (except by accident).

On the main point both Jaime and Cersei have to die for Varys to be considered at all in Tywin's death (and probably also Lady Jenna and anyone else whom Jaime talked to about the matter). Jaime knows that Varys was there below the Hand's Tower but he also knows that he had just given Tyrion a most puissant motive for the crime.

I agree with the fact that Varys is feeding Cersei's already somewhat deranged mind.

I think that Varys is already going to be killed if they catch him. If he can push Cersei over the cliff all the better but his only way out(other then leave Westeros) is to help FAegon win the throne. Cersei is the biggest chance he has to make sure that happens.

I would actually like it if a Master 'game of thrones'-player goes down because of a stupid mistake,

we see guys like Ned Stark, who get punished hard for their lack of insight while guys like LF and Varys somehow get away with everything

Not "somehow", LF and Varys at least put a lot of hard work/thought into these schemes and risk their lives with every move. Ned simply did not want to play the game and suffered for it. His lack of political savvy may fly in the North, but not in the capital city. I mean don't get me wrong I love Ned as much as the next person for his seemingly infallible sense of honor and justice, but I think we can all agree he was naive.

I was just finishing up on my latest re-read and it struck me about a possible mishap in the case of Varys and his crossbow murders of Kevan and Pycelle. As far as we can tell these two killings are carried out in this way to make people think that Tyrion killed them since he already killed Tywin with a crossbow as well. Probably this was also done in part to give a little extra fear to Cersie who thinks Tyrion is prowling inside the walls waiting to murder her. The more the threat of Tyrion builds in her mind the more unhinged she becomes, and the worse off the country is for it which seems to be right in line with the destabilization Varys is going for.

So here is the point, what if it backfires on Varys? If it comes out that he was in fact the one who killed Kevan and Pycelle, wouldn't it be awfully simple to connect the Tywin murder to him as well? A lot of readers keep speculating about Tyrion and his redeeming return to Westeros, but that can't happen as long as he is a known kinslayer. So is this how he will get around that? Is it possible that Varys will get pinned for this murder of perhaps Tyrion will frame him so he can return with a clean slate?

What are your thoughts on this fellow readers, is it possible?

Its possible I suppose. Though it would have to come from him conversing about his deeds, with someone not known to varys, hiding and then telling someone. We know it is possible for him to be over heard, Arya did it in the first book, though by accident. With that being said I think that by the time it gets out no one is really going to care.

Archived