Fractal Prince [Spoilers], or One of Us is on Killer Shrooms

Sci-2

Halfway point reached. Expect to finish this tomorrow.

I've sort of accepted this book is science fantasy. I'd love see another Q&A with the author so he can explain some of this stuff, as I get the feeling that a good deal of this is meant to be extrapolated from "our" - referring to HE and IheartTelsa and other minds more scientifically proficient than mine - current understanding of science.

Apparently consciousness arises from arrangements of information, and is thus preserved no matter where or how the info is expressed?

Author Interview: Hannu Rajaniemi

Jean de Flambeur has to break into a Schrödinger Box, which is based on the famous thought experiment Schrödinger’s Cat.

It’s a well-known paradox in quantum mechanics but it hasn’t been used that well previously in science fiction. It’s also a very Arabian Knights-esque idea as it provided an interesting imprisonment mechanism, where we have a box, a jar or a lamp that contains some kind of dangerous creature that you release at your peril. But I was afraid I’d written myself into a corner. You have a bit more freedom in fiction than science but because I’ve trained in physics and mathematics, I can at least be reasonably rigorous in those areas. I don’t consider myself a hard, hard sci-fi writer in the sense that I never take any liberties with reality but you should stay true to the assumptions that you make, even if it’s painful, because it’s that which puts the science in science fiction.

Done. Loved the ending, and the connection proposed between this and Vellum actually was more than spot on.

One thing I certainly didn't get was the place of the All Defector in this - I don't get how it was able to gobble Chen up. Was it a creation of Chen's? I thought the Dilemma Prison was made by the Engineer aka Vasilev?

• 9 months later...

*thread necromancy*

I initially thought this was going to be a bit more straighforward than the first one, but I got totally lost during the finale. Maybe having a cold doesn't help.

So could somebody please explain it to me? Thanks :) :dunce:

*thread necromancy*

I initially thought this was going to be a bit more straighforward than the first one, but I got totally lost during the finale. Maybe having a cold doesn't help.

So could somebody please explain it to me? Thanks :) :dunce:

Heh, been almost a year now since I read it.

Do you have any specific questions?

Archived