Why does Doran not simply invade the Stormlands?

Lord Varys

Robb Stark had 18,000 men when he marched South. Assembling and marching 50,000 spears is a lot easier said than done, then consider that the 50,000 maybe the total resource of your fighting men. Is it smart to take all 50,000 to invade somewhere and leave your shores and farms defenseless?

While Doran is one of my favorite characters, based on results of ADWD all I could say is the "best laid plans of mice and men,..". While his speed and plans at end of AffC sounded awesome, the reality and result of it and fate of Quentyn didn't correspond. Same for Red Viper, also one of my favorite characters, totally horrid fate and no justice served. So on paper plans look great (I certainly would like to succeed) but we have yet to see any measurable success there. So in my book, only plans that come to successful fruition define a really good strategist. So far Doran is 2 for 2 for failure, not through his fault but through failure to get safeguards to account for real people and volatile personalities of princes (both male or female)

I've had my suspicions that Aurane Waters was working with/for Varys, but no definitive proof as of yet. I do find it interesting that the Golden Company is in control of half of the Stepstones. If thats the case, then they most likely have run across Waters and other sell sails.

Aurane Waters is the mummer's dragon Quaithe warned Dany about. He is on his way to Mereen to pose as Aegon to Dany. Doran stayed out because he wants to have the difinitive strongest army of anyone so that he will be the wild card to help decide the victor. He also understands that the realm is under the impression that the armies of Dorne are much larger than they actually are. Attacking too soon would show the power of Dorne to be more of a myth. The game is always being played.

Robb Stark had 18,000 men when he marched South. Assembling and marching 50,000 spears is a lot easier said than done, then consider that the 50,000 maybe the total resource of your fighting men. Is it smart to take all 50,000 to invade somewhere and leave your shores and farms defenseless?

i thought that they did this during aegon the conqueror and still didnt get conquered.

Aurane Waters is the mummer's dragon Quaithe warned Dany about. He is on his way to Mereen to pose as Aegon to Dany. Doran stayed out because he wants to have the difinitive strongest army of anyone so that he will be the wild card to help decide the victor. He also understands that the realm is under the impression that the armies of Dorne are much larger than they actually are. Attacking too soon would show the power of Dorne to be more of a myth. The game is always being played.

what POSSIBLY suggests aurane is heading to mereen? while he does look like a targaryan, pretty much everything is pointing to another dance of dragons with aegon and dany.. with aegon being false.

i thought that they did this during aegon the conqueror and still didnt get conquered.

what POSSIBLY suggests aurane is heading to mereen? while he does look like a targaryan, pretty much everything is pointing to another dance of dragons with aegon and dany.. with aegon being false.

They used guerrilla tactics and they weren't invading anywhere when Aegon came to Dorne, they were the ones being invaded.

That was my theory after ASOS bc Cersei always talks about him looking like Rhaegar. I actually discovered and read the Arianne chapter right after posting this, so yes I'm wrong.

Archived