[Book Spoilers] book 3 scene that inspired the series?

acedrian

I'm positive that they were referring to the "Dany gets bi-curious with her handmaiden, Cinemax style" scene. It's clearly the reason you go to all the trouble of adapting the series to screen. Why do you think they aged up Missandei? I have it on good authority that episode 6 will be a Blackwater-style "no other storylines" episode that contains the full 60 minute encounter in real time with no cutaways. Kovarro apparently has a cameo but it just involves him standing silently in the corner of the room not speaking as per his contract.

Got to admit, ever since Nathalie Emmanuel was cast, this has been right up there with RW as a scene I'm dying to see.

Pretty sure it's the Red Wedding.

Personally there's a lot of stuff coming afterwords that I'm looking forward to a lot more. Purple wedding, Tyrion's trial, Red Viper vs Mountain, Jon and Stannis at the wall etc. Hope the showrunners don't start losing their passion for it once they've done the scene they've been waiting for.

I know it's supposed to be the RW, but personally for me "the scene" is

the bear

Also I hear the producers will be throwing in a few "spoilers" specifically aimed at book readers, so those of us who think we know the story will still get a few minor surprises.

. Still glad that no one can spoil shit for me anymore, but I'd rather just have watched the tv show and then pick up the books after since IMO the show is superior to the books.

Are you high? The books blow the show outta the water!

I know it's supposed to be the RW, but personally for me "the scene" is

the bear

Also I hear the producers will be throwing in a few "spoilers" specifically aimed at book readers, so those of us who think we know the story will still get a few minor surprises.

What " 'spoilers' specifically aimed at book readers" are you referring to? Things from ASoS or the series as a whole?

I fear that the adaption choises already made in season 2 may have an impact on how the RW comes off on screen. Considering how important the Frey have been for Robb, book-wise that is, they have been practically absent from the screen version and having Robb jump through hoops to reestablish that alliance may seem strange to viewers. Likewise, Roose Bolton has been introduced, but not fleshed out enough for him to give any other impression than a Putin-lookalike. Also, the substitution of Jeyne to Talisa and the changed circumstances may bring less sympathy for Robb, and so less outrage when he gets it. Likewise Catelyn seems, to me at least, less sympathetic than in the books, and I think as a viewer only I wouldn't mind her passing much.

You can say that I think the show has done too little to build them up properly for their fall to be that much of an impact. And their nemesises, Freys and Bolton, has been ignored all season two for instead give time for Talisa to bother us all. I imagine that season three will try to give focus to these things, but I don't think it will be enough. It will feel disjointed from the other seasons, because the show has been unable to keep a storyline spanning seasons.

Finally, I'm betting that most viewers will be spoilt on the RW beforehand, and so the actual episode will lose shock value plotwise, and try to make up for it with an overabundance of screen violence.

I actually think there is probably enough background to set us up for the RW. Thanks to a few strategically placed scenes and references, we now know the key elements - Walder is a key ally, he's dangerous, Robb acted out of youthful passion instead of cold politics etc - and then we are fairly familiar now with Roose Bolton as an apparently reliable ally and advisor. And of course we'll have most of season 3 to really spice things up before the actual event.

Pretty sure it's the Red Wedding.

Personally there's a lot of stuff coming afterwords that I'm looking forward to a lot more. Purple wedding, Tyrion's trial, Red Viper vs Mountain, Jon and Stannis at the wall etc. Hope the showrunners don't start losing their passion for it once they've done the scene they've been waiting for.

I'm most looking forward to the continuing adventures of Jaime and Brienne, and following that, the adventures of Arya and the Hound

What " 'spoilers' specifically aimed at book readers" are you referring to? Things from ASoS or the series as a whole?

If I knew, I wouldn't say (because they'd be spoilers ;)) but some examples we've already seen would be new characters (Talisa and Ros), new scenes (Renly & Loras getting it on, Stannis & Mel getting it on.... lots of getting it on, actually ;)), characters are different physically than described the book, etc.

That's what I was getting at, clear? :)

If I knew, I wouldn't say (because they'd be spoilers ;)) but some examples we've already seen would be new characters (Talisa and Ros), new scenes (Renly & Loras getting it on, Stannis & Mel getting it on.... lots of getting it on, actually ;)), characters are different physically than described the book, etc.

That's what I was getting at, clear? :)

I can't think of anyone in particular.

The Red Wedding. D and D talked about how Ned's death was very powerful and a shocking book device, but the RW took it even farther . . . that is what they mean and we all know it.

It was spoiled for me but I won't spoil it for others, they have no idea the hell that is coming. Even if it is not as intense for budget and time reasons as the book, it still is poweful. I remember the first time I read it, I had to read it three times to get over what the heck just happened, it was SPOILED for me by some fool on the Game of Thrones facebook page.

I have not and will not spoil it for anyone . . . . oh the joy we book readers will have that Sunday night on Twitter and Monday at work.

The Red Wedding. D and D talked about how Ned's death was very powerful and a shocking book device, but the RW took it even farther . . . that is what they mean and we all know it.

It was spoiled for me but I won't spoil it for others, they have no idea the hell that is coming. Even if it is not as intense for budget and time reasons as the book, it still is poweful. I remember the first time I read it, I had to read it three times to get over what the heck just happened, it was SPOILED for me by some fool on the Game of Thrones facebook page.

I have not and will not spoil it for anyone . . . . oh the joy we book readers will have that Sunday night on Twitter and Monday at work.

Yeah, that's one of the good parts about knowing what's going to happen. We get to entertain ourselves by reading/hearing non-readers.

Archived