Game of Thrones series named "major source of job creation" in the UK

Ser Loudmouth

This topic might allso belong to the "general discussion" area. Moderators should decide.

Context:

I have read an article today that is part of the recent immigration debate in the UK. The article is written as a satirical open letter to prospective immigrants. In it, the writer tries to make the point that Britain isn't doing so well economicaly at the moment, by stating among others that:

Us Brits have it bad. We are in a triple-dip recession. Unemployment is high. Our Government is torn apart over Europe. Our economy is dependent on two sources of job creation – the Olympics and Game of Thrones. And the Olympics are over!

Read the full article here:

http://www.contributors.ro/editorial/an-open-invitation-to-all-romanians-and-bulgarians-please-come-to-the-uk/?cfcc

Now I understand the humorous nature of the article, so I don't expect it to contain precise economic data, but still...

How important is the production of this series for the UK economy? How could someone come to mention it in the same sentence as the Olympics? Does it really employ that many people?

What do you know about this topic?

Archived