Does GRRM's New HBO Deal Equal Prequel?

Craven Mummer

While I'd love a prequel, preferably Dunk and Egg, part of me thinks he should be focusing on finishing the books rather than thinking about a prequel series - or a different show entirely.

Please don't shoot me for having this opinion. :worried:

Don't worry, here you only get shot if you do want a new series :cool4:

I would love if they would do a story starting at the Tourney at Harrenhall and ending at Ned following Rhaegar's army back to KL and finding Jaime sat upon the throne. I would say ending at the ToJ but that would be a mega spoiler.

But of course this will probably never happen. I only hope this endeavor is even close to as good :)

• 1 month later...

GRRM said at the seaosn 3 premier that there is discussion to make a prequal series centering on Dunk and Egg. So there you have it, if it's gonna happen it will be D&E.

"Well, I have been writing for a number of years a series of novellas set in the same world, the world of Westeros, but a hundred years earlier, about two characters called Dunk and Egg. And I published three of those novellas, The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and The Mystery Knight, and I have in mind about nine or ten more novellas about the adventures of Dunk and Egg."

"So we have been playing with the idea of doing those as prequels. They would be prequels, in a sense, they’re a hundred years earlier but in the same world. They’re somewhat lighter in tone than the main series, a little more adventurous. But my fans love them and I love the two characters too, and it all ties into Westeros history. So maybe that will be what we’ll do".
IGN made sure to clarify that Martin was talking about the prequels “in terms of a series,” to which he responded “Yeah. Yeah.” It’s not confirmation that a Dunk and Egg series will actually happen, but it’s interesting to see that HBO is even considering it. Would you watch a Game of Thrones prequel on HBO?

upper quote is by GRRM and the lower quote is the blurb accompanying it by the website /film (slashfilm) (who btw does a very good podcast called A Cast of Kings that breaks down each weeks episode. They use two people, one who has read the books and one who hasn't)

I actually tried making a thread about the prequel was mentoined by Martin but apparently it didn't make the cut for approval lol

I doubt it's a prequel, but I would be glad if it was.

GoT cuts out all flashbacks and doesn't say much of Westeros' history which is important. Maybe that's the reason they might do it, because GoT already has such a large fanbase meaning greater viewership for HBO.

How can you doubt that it's a prequel when Martin himself confirms it lol And the overlying reason seems to be the demand HBO is seeing for the show. we get 10 episodes once a year with is nothing compared to the majority of series. If they give use D&E at the halfway point they'd be able to draw out the ratings. Plus one of the biggest problems HBO has had with the series is that the set work for the shows cost so much. So they'd be able to use many of the same sets with little extra cost.

How can you doubt that it's a prequel when Martin himself confirms it lol And the overlying reason seems to be the demand HBO is seeing for the show. we get 10 episodes once a year with is nothing compared to the majority of series. If they give use D&E at the halfway point they'd be able to draw out the ratings. Plus one of the biggest problems HBO has had with the series is that the set work for the shows cost so much. So they'd be able to use many of the same sets with little extra cost.

Really good point with the sets. They have to pay to store the sets anyway, they might as well do some extra shooting on them if they think they can make a profit on it. The Dunk and Egg stories are much shorter than the main books so HBO might opt for either TV movies (if the stories can't be fit in two hours they can do each one in two parts like they did for the Discworld TV movies with a cliffhanger of some sort in the middle).

I would prefer it not be anything else set in the ASOIAF universe. I think it would detract from the original series. Spin-offs ruin the original concepts for me (Battlestar -->>> Caprica, yuck), and suggest that we need to know *every possible thing* about the world before we can fully enjoy it (Hobbit - > LOTR bridge films included)

I haven't read the novellas and have no plans to. I'd rather see HBO tackle a SF series that is not connected to Martin's own novels, because I don't think he could help being involved if it was his universe. And would inevitably slow down book writing time.

Pitching ideas, though, is entirely different - he is a great talent scout, is well-read in SF/Fantasy, has cool ideas, and knows what works and what doesn't. Good thing he has a willing ear at HBO.

Archived